MadMalx

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Local Club: North East Mini Club

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

Mini
Has anyone come across the problem of not being able to get the suspension cone compression tool to 'bite' into the threads on the cones? I've tried for a while to get the thread started, but no joy - am replacing the cones and trumpets with hi-lo's. Is there another way of releasing the cones/trumpets without compressing?

Thanks in advance!

#2 dlm

dlm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

Mini
Has anyone come across the problem of not being able to get the suspension cone compression tool to 'bite' into the threads on the cones? I've tried for a while to get the thread started, but no joy - am replacing the cones and trumpets with hi-lo's. Is there another way of releasing the cones/trumpets without compressing?

Thanks in advance!

Are you using the correct threaded cone compressor? There are metric threaded cones and older imperial ones.

#3 Bullet

Bullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

am replacing the cones and trumpets with hi-lo's. Is there another way of releasing the cones/trumpets without compressing?

Thanks in advance!

If you’re not keeping the trumpets!
I just smashed mine with a lump hammer and chisel
My mate Steve drilled his with lots of holes before he hit his with a hammer;
I’m just not that subtle as him…….

#4 MadMalx

MadMalx

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Local Club: North East Mini Club

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

Mini

Thanks in advance!

Are you using the correct threaded cone compressor? There are metric threaded cones and older imperial ones.

Yeah, I bought a new metric compressor tool to do the job with, done loads in the past with no problems but something isn't quite right this time...

Might end up resorting to the hammer and chisel as a last resort, always worried about damaging other things when I get a bit violent lol

#5 minispark

minispark

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Local Club: lsmoc

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

sorry but when i done my front hi los all be it a bit fidly but i undone the top arm and took it out then out came the trumpet and cone then in went the new hi lo and cone then refitted the top arm and wound the hilo to the right height and bobs ya uncle! took me a couple of hours...... hope this helps

#6 booton

booton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

hi mate is there a way of removing the cones with out one of these tools.
i'm just striping my rear subframe. i've taken it of the car removed all the brake pipes and cables.
is there a way around it. also do you need a special tool to remove the mounts. can seem to find a way to remove them.

steve

#7 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

You will not get the cone out without removing the top arm, if your keeping the cone and just replacing the trumpet then yes the cone will need to be compressed to pop the trumpet out. Or smash the old trumpet as above! :D

Mine was fiddly aswell to get the thread in the cone, just shine a light down there first to make sure it aint clogged up, even when the thread was found I did notice there was a slight (very slight) angle leaning toward the engine, only slight but as I was feeding it straight this could've been why?

#8 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

hi mate is there a way of removing the cones with out one of these tools.
i'm just striping my rear subframe. i've taken it of the car removed all the brake pipes and cables.
is there a way around it. also do you need a special tool to remove the mounts. can seem to find a way to remove them.

steve

Rear subframe?

You don't use this tool on the rear, once it's off push the trailing arm as far down as possible, and then a bit further, this should allow space to lever out the cone and trumpet and replace where necessary.

The compressor is only needed on the front subframe cones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users