10 replies to this topic

#1 39steps

39steps

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

My recently purchased Mini Cooper is leaking like a sieve through the windscreen seal but just in the bottom corner on the passenger side. The water is getting in under the glass side of the seal (as oppose to the side that seals to the body shell). Is this a common problem? How can I fix it? Silicone? mastic? or do I just have to get a new seal fitted?

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:33 PM

I'm sure that a lot of people would tell you to simply replace the seal. This isn't hard to do if you want to take on the task yourself. However, you'll want a new seal, a new locking strip, and the special tool. You'll have to check sources like DSN and MiniSpares to see who can give you the best prices.

The other way to handle this is indeed with silicone. However, I wouldn't use just "any" silicone. Permatex (Loctite) and Dow both make grades of what they call "flowable silicone". This is a clear RTV that is much thinner than the ususal stuff you buy in tubes. It wicks its way into nooks and crannies. It also doesn't set like normal RTV but remains gummy. It is easily removed with a plastic scraper whereas regular RTV will bond to your paint and seal making future repairs/replacement difficult.

See:
http://www.dowcornin...07506&type=PROD
for Dow

and:
http://www.caswellpl...rmsealants.html
(3rd item down the page) for Permatex flowable sealant.

Obviously you'll need to source the stuff in the U.K. Caswell Europe supposedly carries Permatex. They have a web site at:
www.caswelleurope.co.uk

#3 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:33 PM

Removing and refitting the windscreen is a doddle... had mine out to check for rust along the edges and repaint. :)

#4 Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:08 AM

Had a similar problem. Just used standard bathroom clear mastic. Raised the lip of the seal where the glass fits in, pushed the mastic gun tube under about an inch up the side of the screen, then ran it down, along the bottom and about a inch up the other side pressed the rubber against the screen all along then with a wet finger, licking will do, run it along the seal/screen join to remove any excess. Seems to have worked.

#5 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:23 AM

in the past ive used fish tank sealer, they use it to make tanks so if it can hold water in it should keep water out, you can get it from most pet shops

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

Only true fix is to replace the seal :cheese:

#7 39steps

39steps

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to try the sealant repair route first but if that doesn't get me anywhere I go for the new seal. The flowable silicone sounds like good stuff so am trying to track down a UK supplier. Thanks again.

#8 goose the DJ

goose the DJ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Gday gang.

Our "Mags" has gotta leak too...thing is, we dont always get it..and it moves. its deffo front passenger side, and when shes parked level, the drip lands on the mid front angled part of the footwell.
I know the door seal is rubbish, but i cant believe a drip would travel that far when shes parked.

So i'm guessing its the screen thats leaking. It needs to come out so i can attend to the beginnings of rust around the corners on the front panel to the bonnet.
You say its not much of a job to remove...ok. I have a new rubber ready to go, and a new silver trim, is this whats called the "Locking strip"? I read somewhere that it can be done with something other than "The tool" to remove the screen...can anyone remind me what it looks like?

Is the back window the same craic as the front?

Many thanks gang.
Goose.

#9 jt89

jt89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Nope

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

I work for a windscreen company,we never use silicone or anything similar to that, it eats into the rubber,We use black arbomast, it does the same as silicone but doesn't eat the rubber. It remains soft enough to remove at any time but seals it up a treat.

#10 goose the DJ

goose the DJ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

Ok mate that sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Where can i lay my sweaty palms on some of this gunk? Screwfix?

#11 jt89

jt89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Nope

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Ok mate that sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Where can i lay my sweaty palms on some of this gunk? Screwfix?

Im not entirely sure where, ive never really looked, i usually get a tube from work, if youve got a local windscreen replacement depot near to you (autowindscreens to name one) they might be able to point you in right direction or just be bit cheeky and ask if they can sell you a tube but failing that i would have guessed b&q do it. Heres what you want...................

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...721168004r11739

Edited by jt89, 03 August 2009 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users