Photo
- - - - -

How To Fit Rear Boot Hinge Repair Panel?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about Minis

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hey everyone,

Just got my insurance write-off payout for my rear end collision (£1200 including the buy-back, woohoo!) and am starting to think about how to make the repairs. I have decided to buy a MIG welder, and attempt the repairs myself, as it will be well in excess of £2000 to get it done professionally.

I need to replace the rear valance, and bottom part of the rear panel with this repair panel http://www.minispare...ty=pb&pid=35858. I understand the principle of spot-welding the panel along the seams, but how do I go about joining the repair panel to the upper part of the existing rear panel? Is it a butt weld? Or is there some overlap which is smoothed over with filler? Does anyoune have ay pictures of this kind of repair? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Edited by beentheunseen, 22 May 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hey everyone,

Just got my insurance write-off payout for my rear end collision (£1200 including the buy-back, woohoo!) and am starting to think about how to make the repairs. I have decided to buy a MIG welder, and attempt the repairs myself, as it will be well in excess of £2000 to get it done professionally.

I need to replace the rear valance, and bottom part of the rear panel with this repair panel http://www.minispare...ty=pb&pid=35858. I understand the principle of spot-welding the panel along the seams, but how do I go about joining the repair panel to the upper part of the existing rear panel? Is it a butt weld? Or is there some overlap which is smoothed over with filler? Does anyoune have ay pictures of this kind of repair? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Hi butt welding is the way to go here, you could joggle the edge but with it being curved you may distort the panel (be careful but a good finish is still achievable.) At least with the butt weld you can grind flush and then skim with filler, the joggle method is pretty much the same but when you look inside the boot area you will see the lip.

Its all down to what overall finish you want to achieve. For me the butt weld method is the way i would go and then inside the boot area you can clean up the welded area and then skim with filler as well to get a nice smooth finish.

If you do butt weld tack the panel in place first with a few spot welds then seam weld about an inch at a time to minimize distortion through heat build up. Do one inch then leave an inch and so on.

Edited by sonikk4, 22 May 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#3 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

That's exactly what i needed to know, thanks a lot!

#4 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

www.mig-welding.co.uk

#5 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Have a look at my build thread, i have just done the same thing, just for rust reasons rather than a shunt.

Rich

#6 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

Look Here

I done exactly the same repair on the ex's Mini 30.

Posted Image

Note my welding has got a little better since!

#7 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

What you're looking for is;

Ropey boot floor after cutting out
Posted Image
Bootl floor cut out for new edge
Posted Image
New floor in and welded
Posted Image

Butt welded in and ready to be ground flat
Posted Image

#8 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Okay, shifty done more of a job then I had too... Seems we've all had to repair this bit though!

#9 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Oh great, thanks a lot - Although it's only the hinge panel that was damaged in the accident, I'll probably replace it across the full width of the car as a lot of rust has been revealed down there. Going to need to do a lot of welding practice lol. Where can i get a rear boot floor edge repair panel like that from? I was hoing to beat mine back into shape, but theres a chance it might be too distorted or corroded i guess...

Edited by beentheunseen, 23 May 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#10 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

Oh great, thanks a lot - Although it's only the hinge panel that was damaged in the accident, I'll probably replace it across the full width of the car as a lot of rust has been revealed down there. Going to need to do a lot of welding practice lol. Where can i get a rear boot floor edge repair panel like that from? I was hoing to beat mine back into shape, but theres a chance it might be too distorted or corroded i guess...

Edited by beentheunseen, 23 May 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#11 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Thats a full width boot floor repair panel, any mini parts place will sell you one.

The full width hinge panel is a heritage part and costs about £110, the floor @ £25ish.

You'll also need a valance and closing panels.£50(ish)

Depending on the state of the corners of the boot you may need some corner repairs (£30) the pair.

Give M-machine a ring, they're very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users