30 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

I've got some wipac freeforms to fit to my car when I eventually get it back on the road, to replace my old angel eye lights (i've grown out of them)

I'm going to fit some white LED sidelights to them and some decent H4 bulbs. I used to work at halfords where they sell 'extreme brilliance' bulbs which are apparently 90% brighter than a standard bulb for the same wattage. They're really expensive at about £25 a pair (when they're buy one get one free) and I always used to ask customers opinions of the bulbs when I was fitting them for people. Everybody buying them always said that they really do make a big improvement in light and now they've used them would never go back to standard bulbs.

So i'm going to get some performance bulbs for my new lights. I want to try and get maximum visibility and light output without putting 100w rally bulbs or HID's in - The traffic police in Manchester are harsh enough without me giving them a reason to pick on me.

But there is a pretty big choice of bulbs when it comes to this sort of thing. Theres halfords extreme brilliance, Osram nightbreakers, Ring xenon max (currently on TV if you've seen the advert), Phillips X-treme power, X-treme vision etc etc.

There a list of the leading ones here: Link

I wouldn't be buying them off that site as they're about a tenner cheaper per pair on ebay.

So which ones do I go for? Are they all the same just in different packaging or what?

Anybody had any experience with upgraded bulbs, either in a mini or not. I don't want to be spending £15-£20 on some bulbs that have great light output but only last a month for example.

Cheers

p.s - Before anybody says anything - I know that standard halogen bulbs in some decent headlights provide good enough visibility, but if you can get more light and better visibility, legally then why not?

:shifty:

#2 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

Phillipps Extreme-Power are very good! But they don't last as long as your avarage H4 bulb. More light has it's price :shifty:

I was surprised how much brighter they actually are :thumbsup:

Edited by Asphalt, 13 December 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#3 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thanks.

Hmm see its that I was worried about.

Has anybody tried the xenon max ones yet? They're the only ones that promise 100% more light!

#4 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

I fitted those halfords ones you mentioned.

Took my spotlights off a week later as it made no difference with them. Avery good bulb and had them 3 years and still goign strong.

#5 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

I used the ones that MiniSpares sell. They were great and only £5 each!

Dan :shifty:

#6 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

Review

More reviews

I've got some halfords extreme brilliance and they're great, but I don't have a huge amount of experience with any others so all I can say is I've never had a problem seeing.

#7 electricjim

electricjim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: WSMOC

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

The halfords ones are really good (90% ones) but when i need another set i was going to try the ring ones !00%. as it is i get a nice bright light

#8 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

The Halfords ones are awesome. Had some in my mini and they worked really well.

#9 Eatsleepdrink

Eatsleepdrink

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

I have been using the Halfords ones you mentioned, still on the same set about 3 years after I bought them and they have been in two sets of headlamps now (got myself some nice P700's :))

#10 Sir Cheat

Sir Cheat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

Philips Diamond Vision 5000k about £25ish or Philips Blue Vision 4000k about £15 with 2x w5w side lights.... both lots on EBAY...

I have the 5000k ones in my Cavalier and the 4000k in my Clubman... brilliant bulbs both lots been in about a year now.. :)

Edited by Sir Cheat, 14 December 2010 - 12:12 AM.

#11 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

Halfords and Phillips do seem to get a lot of the best reviews. Only downfall about halfords is they're only from halfords, not going to be any cheap on ebay. Think i'll so some reading up, but by the sounds of it you can't go wrong with either.

#12 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

In the Mini I run brand new Wipac reflectors and a set of std., but high quality (Phillips I think) H4 bulbs. That's on-level with modern non-xenon cars!

What I'm trying to say: the best bulb will do no wonders if it's working environment isn't good or old and knackered... :huh:

Good H4 headlights + good bulbs = all the light you want :)

#13 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

Yeah well thats what I thought. Since i've got these nice new lights, i'd put some nice good performance bulbs in them.

I want HID's really, but with them not being legal and possibly dazzling other driver I can't be bothered with them. So I wanted to get as near as with some upgraded halogen bulbs. I just want some nice bright white light really.

I've been doing some reading up and philips do seem to get the best light outputs, but apparently aren't as white as people wanted.

I've found a couple of poor reviews of the ring xenon max bulbs, so think i'm going to stay away from them.

I found this on another forum copied from an auto express magazine. The xenon max don't get rated well on there either. Philips is much better, with only the osram night breakers getting close: Link

That was an old test done in 2006 for Xtreme power +50% bulbs. Now Philips do +80% bulbs which have a lot of really good reviews and are about £18 a set, they have also just released +100% Xtreme bulbs but they are about £40 a set!

So I think i'm just going scout around for the best price on some Philips Xtreme powers, the +80% ones.

#14 mtjm

mtjm

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

First thing I did when we got our mini was fit Osram Nightbreakers. They made a huge difference, and 2 years later are still fine. Not tried any of the others though so I can't give any sort of comparison.

#15 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

unless they've put the prices up, I'm sure the halfords ones are £20 a set if they're BOGOF
I used them on my '89 and I also took my spotlights off afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users