#1 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:02 PM

Well, this change around with the project pages has finally inspired me to get myself in gear and start a project page for my baby. Its a '71 850 van, currently lacking... everything! I got it from ebay after deciding I required a project after I finished my BSA bantam. I already have a saloon, and I've always liked vans. got this from Luton, from a lad who had lost his lock up. It looked like this when we picked it up:Posted Image

After getting it back to our unit, it had to live in our container for a month or two while other projects were completed. Work has been pretty wild lately so I havent had a lot of time to work on it, but I have been scouring TMF and ebay for bargains, and have got loads of bits. Got an MG metro engine for a 100 quid :w00t: , discs, driveshafts, ordered a dash off Eddie Payne, arches, mk1 doors from bacon (cheers) a one piece rear door, and god knows what else. Theres a big pile of stuff in the back, anyway!

My dad is good with a mig (better than me, anyway :- ), so hes doing the patching and panel replacement with me. Unfortunately I bought it from "the welder from hell", who did all his practice work on the car, not on scrap! A lot of what we have done so far is putting his mess right. It has been deseamed (quite well, it appears) and has a turbo box in the bulkhead, again , this has been done very well. Other than that, its a bit of a patchwork! He had welded a lip round the sill line to fix a body kit onto :), so a few minutes with the grinder and that was gone! the rear lights have been chopped out and plated. looks lovely...... not!
Posted Image

It also has a flip front, that I will be keeping, but making stealth.
Posted Image
This is progress as of a few weeks ago, We now have most of the front end repaired. New A panels, patched up the flitch panels, scuttle corners, got the flip front rigid and locking down and fitted locking bonnet pins. Its begining to look like a mini again! Well, I seem to have gone on a bit now, so I'll get more pics tomorrow and show the progress.

Edited by minivanman, 14 July 2006 - 08:04 PM.

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:10 PM

Awesome mate, similar to my estate!

Vans are soo awesome!

Keep us updated dude! :)

#3 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

Cheers Pooky, been watching your estate project for tips! I know you were looking for different rear lights - have a look at the back of an austin A35 van :) that what I think i'll be using.

#4 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

Hey, good to see progress on the van! :)

How have things been since crystal palace?

#5 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

very good, thanks! How are you? havent really been quiet at work since december, so I've not really had too much oppurtunity to work on it, until the last week or two. My job couldn't be better for doing resto stuff though, because I work for my dad doing sheet metalwork. got space in our unit, and all the tools, plus we have a full garage in the garden with ramps :)

#6 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

Good thanks. Sounds the ideal place to restore a mini!

I have no space where I live, car is parked on the street... and the dreaded rust is attacking. Hamerite is on.

#7 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:36 PM

god bless hammerite, saviour of many a fine mini! :) I need to attack my blue one next and beat back the rust under the headlamps.

#8 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

got some pictures uploaded at last, so here we go:
KAD quickshift assembled.
Posted Image
the top suspension damper mounts. think i may need new ones?
Posted Image
Front subframe. hammerited, and with poly bumpstops
Posted Image
The outer sill. the outers appear to be in good condition, POR15, hammerite and waxoyl should beat the rust back and keep it gone for a good long time. the inners were pretty damn impressive though. bits of rust joined together with large chunks of filler. all gone now though.
Posted Image
The wonderful patch that I featured above is now no more! I have got some van rear lights but I have seen some others I like, so I'll be fitting them.
Posted Image
Finally, the next bit I need to have a go at. behind the drivers seat, beneath the load deck. pretty, isn't it?
Posted Image

Edited by minivanman, 23 July 2006 - 01:19 PM.

#9 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

Winning the battle over rust is hard work, but oh so satisfying :(

#10 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Bit of an update: attacked my mk1 doors, and they are now so lightweight that streetfighters feel like lead weights :w00t: except there isn't too much left of them... we bit the bullet and cut out the pathetic welding on the drivers side, in the process we found extreme rust under the load deck. Have all the panels I think I will need for a while now - door skins, grille and rear subframe mounting points. things are looking up. I'll sort the pics out when my pc's in a little better order!

#11 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

nice van so far,what sort of engine you gonna fit?

#12 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

well its going to be a 1275 of some description. I've got an MG metro engine for it, but what other mods I do, I'm not totally decided on. chances are it will be tame for a while to keep the insurance off my back, then I'll be having a play around ;D

#13 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

sensible,you see "the beast" in mini world what a project!.remind's me of a mate with a chevy lump in a fiat 500.

#14 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

Finally had a chance to get some work done today. Worked out that since I got this 6 months ago we've had about 6 days working on it in total because work's been so manic. Rolled it on it's side, and repaired the offside subby mounting panel and sill. Cut out a large chunk of floor as well. Good news as well - the rear subframe has recently been replaced, so it came off without shearing and bolts :- and it looks to be in real good condition.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

tell us more uncle minivan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users