6 replies to this topic

#1 andysmini1

andysmini1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

Ok i have bought and watched the Minifilms engine rebuild DVD and was going to sort my engine out to put on a stand. I have a std engine stand from Machine Mart which i have been told is no use for an A series.

Q: What do i need to do to get my engine (MG Metro 1275 A+) on the stand and which holes do i use?

Mini thanks

Andy

#2 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

you will need an adapter plate to take the standard 4 bolt engine stand plate into two holes where the alternator bracket bolts to. I went through this process earlier this year and got most of my help from Guessworks who supplied me with diagrams and measurements. I used to work at an engineering firm so i got them to knock me one up. Unfortunately they wasn't that interested in making more of them as they were inundated with work. I've had it sitting in the garage for ages and only just, literally TODAY used it for the first time.....how ironic! it works a treat and takes the weight no problem. I'll see if i can find some pics on my pc.

The only thing i had to add was anoher cut out in the top right corner of the flat piece that mates against the engine.

Ooo, and it balances REALLY well

Attached Files

#3 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

I think you nede an adaptor plate and then i think it uses the alternator holes :D

thats completely off the top of my head

try the usual mini companies for the adaptor plate maybe

#4 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

just a note, the photo is not my one, it's a fella on this forum who used to make them. I don't have a photo of mine yet, but it's different from the photo one - the tube that joins the flats on mine is offset not dead in the middle.

#5 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

too slow! :D

any other pics of it in action? I'm thinking of getting one myself...is it worth it? does it take up much space?

#6 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

If i wasn't going on holiday tomorrow i'd take some pics and show you. I haven't used it as such, it's just to get the engine off the ground and onto wheels so that me dad can move it to get to the ladder if need be - flamin parents eh! i mean, they have the honour of me using there drive to restore a mini and they still want more! tshh.

Found this pic though of someone else's. You can get to the crank a lot easier than lifting the block over on the floor/workbench, and once you've painted it you won't chip the paint by keep moving it around when assembling.

Attached Files

Edited by stormduck, 06 October 2006 - 05:19 PM.

#7 andysmini1

andysmini1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

Cheers peeps

I'll get one made up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users