#1 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

Hi all,

My Mayfair 1985 1000cc has a definate tappet noise, I have adjusted them following the guide in miniworld but the noise is just the same. Speaking to a mate he reckons that the rockers could due to mileage (84k) be worn so when the tappets are set the feeler gauge is setng the tappets on the lip and not the camber (recess) as being worn in?

Is there another way to reset or is it best to replace the rockers?

Thanks BM

#2 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

Well I learnt to set my tappets from this book (plus the number guide in the Mini Haynes manual too) and my Mini has virtually gone around the clock:-

Posted Image

It's availble new from here:-

Mini Service & Repair Manual Link

But the tappet noise did get louder in my Mini after i'd fitted an ultimate engine steady to the thermostat housing. :-

#3 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

New tappets or get a click adjust.

Before doing either of those take them off and see if there is a lip ! You 'might' be able to file it down

#4 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

New tappets or get a click adjust.

Before doing either of those take them off and see if there is a lip ! You 'might' be able to file it down

Any idea how much tappets cost? Also re filing is it as simple as it sounds?

Cheers BM

#5 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

to be honest I dont know the answer to either ! Have a look on minispares for tappets (you could go second hand but then you might get the same issues).

You must be able to see the lip for it to have an effect in which case you could file it down but you would have to be dead accurate otherwise it would just make the problem worse.

Its worth trying before splashing out on a new set of arms though as a cheap fix :-

#6 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

you can work with the wear u get in the rocker tip because it makes a nice cut out the same shape as the valve, as long as ur feeler gauge is the same diameter as the valve top (whch mine are)

the thing u cant compensate for easily is the wear in the bushes and the shaft!! maybe lift the back of the rocker when setting the gap, it seems a little backwards but try it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users