21 replies to this topic

#1 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

Just letting you all know of a great deal at argos at the minute on two way radios. These are very very useful when driving in convoys and highly recomemded for the brands hatch to nurburgring run so you can keep in contact with everyone in your convoy, they only have about a 2 mile range but this is still very useful.

Argos

I've bought two sets and they do work with the radios from previous years, they come with rechargeable battery packs and chargers which charge two radios at a time. Will take aaa batterys if the battery packs run out.

#2 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

Please people, if you ARE going on bh2n2007, get some radios.

I almost got lost last year due to people driving too slow! I almost missed the turning to belgium and would have ended up in germany missing all the fun in belgium. It was only luck that Mighty_mini picked me up on radio.

Radios are a MUST HAVE. I cannot stress how important they are.

#3 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

We have these ones. But there are a load on this website. Hope this helps?

http://www.comet.co....t.do?sku=234915

#4 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

I've got a CB in my car, but I've nerver beena ble to pick anytihng up with it! I've only got a small aerial (3.5ft I think) and I don't know if it's because of that or that there just isn't anything to pick up where I am (South Manchester) I don't know very much about setting up aerials, so any advice appreciated.....

#5 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

If your cb is in working condition then you should be able to contact other people on the same channel.

DONT FORGET, if you are using a CB radio, you need a licence if you are over 21 years of age, and your CB must be european compatible. Search you CB model on google or ebay or 4x4.com and it should tell you if it is european compatible.

As for setting it up, get a mate with a CB on a particular channel and try that way, if it dosent work. Give the people at 4x4.com a call and they should be able to help you.

#6 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

If your cb is in working condition then you should be able to contact other people on the same channel.

DONT FORGET, if you are using a CB radio, you need a licence if you are over 21 years of age, and your CB must be european compatible. Search you CB model on google or ebay or 4x4.com and it should tell you if it is european compatible.

As for setting it up, get a mate with a CB on a particular channel and try that way, if it dosent work. Give the people at 4x4.com a call and they should be able to help you.

im sure you dont need a licence anymore. its been abolished?

beware about using the radio whilst driving. if a cooper sees you its the same as using a mobile whilst driving

the radios are great though. i always use them in convy.
also when i went skiing in jan my mates were staying in a diffrent hotel to us. they worked well on slope and between the hotels

Edited by The Last and the Ludicrous, 13 February 2007 - 03:10 PM.

#7 edd

edd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: nope not yet

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

yer the cb liecence has been abolished now, cb is better than the argos type radios (pmr446) as it has a higher output power therefor more range, i get about 10miles with my antenna (3ft) in the car.

the most i have had out of pmr446 radios is about 4miles on open ground 1mile from car to car (not in built up area) in a built up area expect line of sight as thats the way UHF pmr446 radios work due to the cheap build.

would recommend radios in car though make a journey much more fun, cb is good but expect to pay about 80 quid for rig and antenna

#8 Minwah

Minwah

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

I used to have a CB...the aerials usually allow a bit of adjustment somewhere, using a SWR meter on it and setting it up right should optimise your transmissions/reception.

#9 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, 2 way radios are brilliant. A must have for convoy driving.

CB's are good too but not everyone has them. The licence has been abolished, I recieved a letter in the post a month or so ago informing me of this.

#10 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

http://www.theminifo...mp;hl=cb radios

#11 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:42 AM

These two ways are nowhere near as good as having a cb, as you say. But the cost is a hell of a lot less and work really well in convoy, thats why we want to recommend everyone have one in the car as not everyone can afford or has cb.

If everyone could have a cb that would be a whole lot better but were not all as perfect as me and jammy :(

#12 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:45 AM

has anyone ever got a cband 2 way radio to work together? i know there meant to in theroy but everyone i have spoken to who has tried says they cant get their cb to pick up the 2 way radios

#13 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

Ahh cool didnt know about the liecence being scrapped!!

And heres a link to a very helpful and cheap site. Even has CB deals fro minis

4x4cb

#14 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

I bought my stuff from 4X4cb, very helpful, highly recommend them.

#15 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

good link, i like the look and price of this one. seems a good buy.

http://www.4x4cb.com...cfm?itemID=1249

what one u got dom?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users