#1 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

Hey guys, ive just fitted a new front loom to the mini, its an 83 mini with an 88' loom in it. Now when i press the indicator stalk down or up, non of the indicators work and a little black relay with 4 moulded plastic connections clicks once under the bonnet, not like the normal relay that clicks alternatley. I was wondering if anyone had had this problem before? and what the cause of it might be?

Could it be that the fuse box is wired up in the wrong order?

#2 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:23 PM

It could be the flasher unit has gone, and you get the click as it opens but it never closes again. Try changing it. I dont know if the looms will be at all compatible. What type of 83 mini was it, and what car have you got?

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:58 PM

Definitely an '88 loom? '88 and an '83 looms should be more or less the same. Side repeaters were added and the rear fog lamp was slightly re-wired, and the pre-engaged starter was fitted which had a relay. That's the only sealed relay I can think of in the engine bay, so I'd guess that something's plugged up wrong around the column or fusebox, but I can't think what. Does the loom still have two flasher units? When it was changed to a single flasher unit a relay was included in the indicator circuit but I thought that was around the mid nineties. Although even then the indicator relay is supposed to activate with the ignition not the indicator switch.

Anything else wrong which could help to find out what's up?

#4 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

thanks dan

there are other things awry...

the indicators dont work..period... all is wired up from the fuse box forward
full beam on the stalk makes the headlights dipped, totally the opposite to how it should be, and when full beam is relased on the stalk, the headlights go to full beam
reverse light - not working
sidelights front and rear work perfectly however
along with the normal headlights and main switch, theyre fine
wipers work fine, on the single click and both speeds
washer motor doesnt work however and is properly wired up and definatley earthed

where are the main earth points on a mini loom then? there are main points for the front and rear looms if my knowledge serves me correctly?

cheers

#5 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

anyone got any ideas?

#6 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:48 AM

The wipers and washer are earthed at the same spot. Flasher unit for the indicators should be above your left knee when you are in the driving seat. Is it warm/ clicking? I would be tempted to try and short across it VERY quickly, see if the indicators come on. I dont know if it relies on the resistance of the unit to stop it blowing a fuse so be very quick. See if it sparks.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:08 PM

The front earth point is a massive screw in the triangulation plate of the front bulkhead crossmember, beside the master cylinders in RHD cars.

That thing with the dip switch is very weird, it must be to do with plugs being different. Are the colour codes matching up properly everywhere you have made a connection?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users