54 replies to this topic

#1 Minimade

Minimade

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

Just a though as I was dreaming, again, about building a Z cars mini.

Has anyone who owns a Vtech or bike engined Z cars mini got in touch with Top Gear?, to see if they would like to feature a 50 year old car design (only in looks I know!) that will embarass of most super cars out there. :crazy:

How brill would it be to see everyones favourite little soldier with the Stig at the wheel kicking ass!!
That would be TV worth watching.

Any volunteers?

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

I've been having similar thoughts - a birthday special is surely in order.

How about red, white 'n blue Stigs, a la Italian Job, going head to head in Turbo A series, Vtec 'n bike engined cars?

#3 Sagey

Sagey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

haha yea sounds a really good idea,

especially red, white and blue...

Would be good to see this happen as it is 50. im sure bbc will do something involving it.

#4 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: HEY Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

Yeah sounds great until the stig goes off road in you mini and goes through a tyre wall.

But yes would be quite good to see what one of these would do around the TG track!

#5 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

I contacted them about 2 years ago to see if they were interested doing a comparison of my car vs a TVR Griffith or similar but they never got back to me :)

Would be a bit worrying handing the car over to the STIG mind!!!

#6 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

I contacted them about 2 years ago to see if they were interested doing a comparison of my car vs a TVR Griffith or similar but they never got back to me :)

Would be a bit worrying handing the car over to the STIG mind!!!

when my vtec car is done (not long now) i will gladly turn it over to the stig, who do we contact?

#7 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

Surely it would be better for Z-Cars to contact TopGear and lend them one of their cars?

#8 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

The only (non standard) mini that Clarkson did a feature on was the twincam A-series that John Cooper Garages built in the late 90's(the reg was HI5 FUN, it was green and had the KAD twin cam head. Very quick for the A-series). And he was going mad for it!!! Imagine if he'd driven a z-car?!!

Fifth gear did do a great little feature on the mini once. They mainly covered the mini45 show but the best little bit was when they went out in the zcars/holeshot birhtchild. It's a silver zcars bike-engine package with a Holeshot Racing (Holeshot are well known and respected for building racing bikes) fully sorted, hyabusa turbo!

AND, the best footage of that car is in the first Minifilms DVD. I think that has to be one of the most awesome bike-engined minis for the road I've ever seen. When that car powers out of a bend with Bill Sollis at the wheel, the inside front wheel is off the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing.

Adam

PS. I have that fifth gear mini special recorded on VHS. Might try an get it onto DVD and cut out the rest of the *rubbish* if anyone would be interested in seeing it...

#9 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

when exactly is the mini 50 date wise?
i might give it a go for top gear then
i did have james may in the v tec demo car last year and he was very interested then
what you have to do with those guys is give them an idea that will work on the telly as an item
they did a feature on a company doing old jags up with new suspension engines etc and modernising the concept
perhaps the timing would now be good
chris

#10 Minimade

Minimade

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

I've been having similar thoughts - a birthday special is surely in order.

How about red, white 'n blue Stigs, a la Italian Job, going head to head in Turbo A series, Vtec 'n bike engined cars?

I never even thought about the anniversary next year, the timing would be perfect. There's bound to be a lot of intrest next year in the motoring press.

Carying on your theme of The Italian Job, I do seem to remember a Lambo Guillardo (is that how you spell it!!!) Police car in one of those lads mags, how cool to have one of those chasing three Z Cars minis around the Top Gear track!!!!

Would the Lambo stand a chance!!! :)

#11 Minimade

Minimade

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

The only (non standard) mini that Clarkson did a feature on was the twincam A-series that John Cooper Garages built in the late 90's(the reg was HI5 FUN, it was green and had the KAD twin cam head. Very quick for the A-series). And he was going mad for it!!! Imagine if he'd driven a z-car?!!

Fifth gear did do a great little feature on the mini once. They mainly covered the mini45 show but the best little bit was when they went out in the zcars/holeshot birhtchild. It's a silver zcars bike-engine package with a Holeshot Racing (Holeshot are well known and respected for building racing bikes) fully sorted, hyabusa turbo!

AND, the best footage of that car is in the first Minifilms DVD. I think that has to be one of the most awesome bike-engined minis for the road I've ever seen. When that car powers out of a bend with Bill Sollis at the wheel, the inside front wheel is off the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing.

Adam

PS. I have that fifth gear mini special recorded on VHS. Might try an get it onto DVD and cut out the rest of the *rubbish* if anyone would be interested in seeing it...

I think I remember that mini, it was called 'Hotrod', sorry to split hairs but I don't think it was registered H15 FUN, that was Mike Coopers car of John Coopers Garages. Rover built the Hotrod at a reputed cost of £30,000 back then!!, I think they also built a luxury one at the same time called the 'mini Limo' to celabrate the mini's 40th birthday. Clarkson was indeed loving it, I think he would wet his pants in a Z cars mini, 0 - 100mph in 8 or 9 secs loverly!!!

I would defo be intrested in seeing the appearance on Fifth Gear I've never seen that one :)

#12 Minimade

Minimade

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

Surely it would be better for Z-Cars to contact TopGear and lend them one of their cars?

A few different ones would be a good idea, a Works Z Cars, Home built Z Cars,Vtec, and bike engined. Awsome.

But I would say they would have to be proper steel bodied mini shells, as good as the Monte Carlo's are, you couldn't claim it to be a mini and I'm sure that the Top Gear team would be all too eager to point this out, just so their beloved beloved £100,000 Super Cars could claim moral victory. :)

#13 bakker110

bakker110

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

As long as someone gave them one that wasn't too low so it can get over the "sleeping policemen". At least then it could go top of the Powerlaps Board!! :)

#14 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

i like the angle of the lambo chasing the minis round the track they just might go for something like that
you are right they need to be steel bodied ones
ive got some contacts i will try sort something out
chris

#15 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:33 PM

i can speak to clarkson if you like!!