#1 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:23 AM

im fairly handy with a spanner and i'd like to know how to fit solid mounts to the front subframe? ive got a fair idea that it needs to have the subframe unbolted from the body and either the body lifted or frame dropped but im not too sure? any ideas will be apreciated.

this is one of the things that im doing to prepare for the nurburgring

Posted Image

teardrop mounts:

Posted Image

Edited by Madmax, 12 July 2005 - 01:26 AM.

#2 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:20 AM

On a smilar topic, what are the benifits of these mounts and will they become worn out / break easily?

I did mine the other weekend, its not that difficult really just quite time consuming if you dont have a jack that will go high enough for axel stands, the haynes manual tell you what to do with enough detail.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:00 AM

You have to use solid subframe mounts when you convert to a flip front. They basically stop any movement between the subframe and the body, which in turn improves handling. On the down side they increase noise a bit into the car as well as vibration.

Can't say how hard they are to fit as I'm going to be doing mine in a couple of days...

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:47 AM

Put some in Grotbag as one of the rubber ones failed the MOT, didn't notice and difference in vibration/noise, and that's with no carpets etc...

ps... Dont bother with the front ones, leave the rubber teardrops on, as they will onlt be holding the front valance and wings true...

Change the top turret and the rear rubber ones for solid, and that'll greatly improve things...

Infact I'll be doing the turret ones on grotbag today so will stick a photo or two into the FAQ.

#5 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

I think ill do that then as i need to replace the subframe rubbers, which ones do you recommend guessworks?

#6 royallingham

royallingham

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:12 PM

Makes a big improvement to the handling - as said - don't worry about the teardrops. Remember to take the dampers off to allow the subby to drop down enough to get the new turret mounts in. The rear floor pan ones are easy to do - but do the turrets first.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:07 PM

FAQ'ed with "How to Guide"......Follow me....

#8 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:59 PM

one thing i dont understand......

everyone seems to think u need to put the car on stands, then use a jack to lower the engine/frame

when i did mine, i just unbolted the frame with the car on the level, then jacked the shell up an inch leaving the frame on the floor....

dead simple

made a massive difference to handling, its much sharper and generally cleaner now

didnt notice any real noise difference, although my indash cd/mp3 player wouldnt play smoothly anymore due to the vibrations

minidisc sorted that out though

#9 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

reason i want to do it to the new car is because i used to drive a 72 clubby GT with standard solid mounts and it just turned in very sharply and tidily, ive driven a mini with a standard set of mounts on it and it just bounces all over the place

as for road noise....i have no sound proofing, a fast road engine and ear defenders hehe...im not too bothered :grin:

think i'll be doing this in a week or two

thanks for the input guys, any other tips hints appreciated

#10 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:26 AM

didnt notice any real noise difference, although my indash cd/mp3 player wouldnt play smoothly anymore due to the vibrations

Has anyone else cd/mp3 player jumped with solid mounts?

#11 mambaman

mambaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:19 AM

slap me if im wrong, but dont solid rear mounts cause the shell to break up around the mounting points? I thought you had to strengthen this area to prevent cracks appearing in the shell? :sick:

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:24 AM

There is some truth to that, but also depends on the condition of the shell.. More often than not it's the shell which is already past it's best which would experience the problems, but welding a plate in on the floor is no hardship.

#13 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:28 AM

Has anyone else cd/mp3 player jumped with solid mounts?

Yes, but it might be me driving a bit fast on country roads :fear:
Hitting potholes that fast is gonna make anything skip :fear:

#14 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

no, mine wasnt driving fast

it was at a certain rpm, the frequencyt of the engine caused the entire dash to vibrate, and as such, it wouldnt play AT ALL between 2-3000 revs, and was skipping up to 5000, after which it played ok :S

#15 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:43 AM

Wow! Mine doesnt have a full solid kit, just the front 2 mounts(the subframe is bolted to peices of 1.1/2ince box section, welded to the inner wings :angel: for the flipfront).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users