#31 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Well got the block and gearbox split, and the person I got it off said there was something wrong with the gearbox, but we can't work out what. There are no teeth missing from any of the gears, and everything moves freely. So we need a bit more time to figure out what is wrong with it. But now just everything needs a clean then things like the block can be sent off to be bored =] , can't wait.

#32 mireyjo

mireyjo

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

Good to hear your on the way! :P

#33 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

Good to hear your on the way! :)

Yay a reply, not many people are saying much on my project thread :thumbsup: , so its nice when people say stuff :errr: , thanks ;) .

#34 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

good going mate keep it up buddy

#35 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

Re the supercharger you should do it just be careful of the parts you use, also the gearing - why not go for something a bit taller for a bit of top speed so it doesn't have to rev so much?

Gearbox may have worn baulk rings or main bearings, really check these. No point putting an old gearbox on a lovely new engine. IMO you should rebuild it or get a reconditioned box off guessworks or the like.

#36 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

good going mate keep it up buddy

Yay another person who cares >_< , thanks.

#37 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

Re the supercharger you should do it just be careful of the parts you use, also the gearing - why not go for something a bit taller for a bit of top speed so it doesn't have to rev so much?

Gearbox may have worn baulk rings or main bearings, really check these. No point putting an old gearbox on a lovely new engine. IMO you should rebuild it or get a reconditioned box off guessworks or the like.

And another >_< , yer thanks, was going to rebuild it anyway, was going to try and get some straight cut drops, but they seem hard to come buy for a 998. And thanks for the tips.

Going over to my mates and he is getting my flywheel lightened for £20 >_< , and going to get the crank and pistons out of the block, and ready for a quick clean up and off to be bored.

But still uncertain weather I want to get it pocketed so I can put 1275 performance heads on it, or just stick with the 998 ones? Any views?

Cheers

#38 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

You may have to ask in forced induction about a pocketed block as this could induce detonation problems when running boost that you would otherwise get away with.

Remember the forced induction is squeezing more air into the engine anyway, so valve sizes aren't as much of an issue. Try finding a 12G295 head if you can as these have big open chambers anyway, or you could have a go at modifying an existing head?

#39 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

You may have to ask in forced induction about a pocketed block as this could induce detonation problems when running boost that you would otherwise get away with.

Remember the forced induction is squeezing more air into the engine anyway, so valve sizes aren't as much of an issue. Try finding a 12G295 head if you can as these have big open chambers anyway, or you could have a go at modifying an existing head?

Ah ok thanks for that info, and thanks for the reply :) .

And plus if I don't pocket the block, its going to save me some money, so thats an up side.

Cheers

#40 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:42 PM

So picked up my block from my mates yday, and going out to clean it up and stuff ready to put away and ready for boring. Will get some pictures up I promise. My mate (1275 SPRITE) is also going to take my gearbox into college on Monday to get it stripped down ready for a rebuild, so that should be good. How hard is it to rebuild one? Anyway I'm going out to clean now. See you in a bit.

#41 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

So here are the pictures:

The block before:

Posted Image

And after, with the head:

Posted Image

Didn't get one of the head before as I was so annoyed as I under estimated my own strength and snapped one of the bolts in the thermostat housing :D , so got to figure out how to get that out. But can up well, and know ready to be bored out, when I get some money lol.

#42 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

So tried to get the stud out of the head.

Tried to get it out by heating it up, had some mole grips on it, but know luck, any ideas?

I've also had a nice idea, every month, out of my wages, I'm going to by bits and pieces for my engine and mini, This will range from new parts to tins of paint. And will also include machine work on my engine. But will only be about £100-£150 a month I think. I'll see how it goes.

Also does anyone know of some good sound proofing to put down on the inside of the mini, my exhaust is very loud, and I want to block some of the noise out.

Cheers

Edited by 1987_ParkLane, 14 February 2009 - 12:01 AM.

#43 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

Dynamat comes to mind, I think a bloke did something on here about sound proofing under the I.C.E section.

#44 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

I had the same problem with a thermostat stud on one of my old heads, i tried heat, mole grips, two bolts, grining two sides flat, so would get a really good grip with the mole grips, etc... But in the end i had to just grind it flat to the head, then drill it out and tap a new thread :dontgetit:

Good luch with the charger conversion, when do you plan to have it finished?

LOL i wish i could do that with my pay packet, i was supposed to be paying my mum £900 back this month, but only ended up paying her £300 and all the rest of my wages have been spent on stuff for my mini and then some for nights out lol Its the easy life being young and living at home not having to pay bills :D

Edited by Tomf, 16 November 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#45 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Dynamat comes to mind, I think a bloke did something on here about sound proofing under the I.C.E section.

Ok thanks Luke.

I had the same problem with a thermostat stud on one of my old heads, i tried heat, mole grips, two bolts, grining two sides flat, so would get a really good grip with the mole grips, etc... But in the end i had to just grind it flat to the head, then drill it out and tap a new thread :dontgetit:

Good luch with the charger conversion, when do you plan to have it finished?

LOL i wish i could do that with my pay packet, i was supposed to be paying my mum £900 back this month, but only ended up paying her £300 and all the rest of my wages have been spent on stuff for my mini and then some for nights out lol Its the easy life being young and living at home not having to pay bills :D

Thanks, don't fancy drilling and tapping, will get Dad on the job and see what he can do. Not sure when will have it finished, but the mini will be back on the road in June, hopefully, can it be done? The only reason I have that much to spend is because I'm not getting payed that much at the moment as I've just started an apprentaship, so I'm on a 16 year olds wage at 18, and running a car, etc doesn't some cheap. So no going out, no more McDonalds, etc, just to scrape that kind of money together lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users