Photo
- - - - -

My 15 Year Mini Rebuild Saga! (loads Of Pictures!)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 browno

browno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

Thanks all - it has certainly been a long project... unfortunately due to big periods of inactivity, rather than complexity really - but this time it has got to be finished before I can get distracted with the next thing, so here's hoping! (as you will see from post 22 - I used almost the same wording as last night saying it would be done by the 20th anniversary - so here's hoping that 3 years on I can make it happen!)

Oh - I even saved myself procrastinating on the orange bulbs, and got them ordered while I was still in the garage last night! I think tonight might be a case of get it in the air and have a good check over the running gear for any obvious MOT issues...

#32 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

That lift looks really good! Are they expensive to purchase?

#33 browno

browno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

It isn't particularly cheap (£1278 at the mo), but I saw it as a long-term investment - and one that I'm happy I made every time I use it to lift a car, rather than scrabbling about under axle stands! Mine was from the guys below - who were very good, although there are a range of other sellers around with similar lifts too...

http://www.ebay.co.u...HgAAOSw3YNXXwtX

#34 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

It isn't particularly cheap (£1278 at the mo), but I saw it as a long-term investment - and one that I'm happy I made every time I use it to lift a car, rather than scrabbling about under axle stands! Mine was from the guys below - who were very good, although there are a range of other sellers around with similar lifts too...

http://www.ebay.co.u...HgAAOSw3YNXXwtX

Thank you!

#35 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:24 AM

I have a similar one and also wouldn't be without it.  

Mine is a 'narrow' version which I think suits the mini a little better and I don't use the arms - I have 1" think high density foam (cut from old gym mats) that I put on the platforms and lift the car on those, with the load spread over a large amount of the floor:

http://www.ebay.co.u...WQAAOSwo4pYMFy9

I must admit I find the 'mobile' claim a little laughable unless you have a perfectly smooth floor.

#36 browno

browno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

A little more progress to report - I got the bulbs for the front indicators so could refit them along with a new front plate. 

1A96EC06-F574-4105-820D-F92EB1E2C5D9_zps

I was also getting fed up of seeing all my shiny chrome bits looking all tarnished, so did a slightly non-essential job and gave it all a rub over with some autosol (which was quite satisfying!):

C3F1EBB7-6E5F-4D31-96E8-F6F67688A4A2_zps

C5603808-6BE8-4DAF-B4BC-BD008C987A9B_zps

To this:

55B48905-2C31-4B3A-9015-88D7C74A0CDA_zps

7A29809E-4D04-4F18-B989-C98AC2CD727E_zps

I have also put a quick coat of plastidip onto my original (brown!) instrument surround, although it doesn't look great so far, so will see how it goes, and if not will pick something up to replace it:

CC1805A9-77F0-4211-AF7D-66F555338B63_zps

I also had it up in the air for a good check over the brakes/suspension/underside and have spotted that the handbrake is a bit lazy on one side, so will free up/adjust the cables and actuator lever on the drum.

Other than that, at the minute my list of jobs is to replace the windscreen washer hose as it is all split, replace the pedal rubbers, clamp down the battery and refit the fresh air ducting for the heater, and I think I will be ready to go...

#37 Piglet

Piglet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Great read. I hope it flys threw the mot when it happens, or if it fails that it is only a small oversight. Good luck

#38 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

If the clock surround doesn't come out how you want I've got a black one in the garage you can have for the price of postage

#39 browno

browno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Thanks guys - especially Rocket, that is a really kind offer! I haven't had a go at any more than a mist coat yet, but I will certainly drop you a line if I can't make it look good!

A little more progress tonight after a few days where I couldn't quite face heading out to the cold (even with both my small heaters on the garage isn't exactly toasty!). I did manage to get myself moving today though and have sorted the dodgy handbrake which needed the pivots on each drum cleaning up and freeing - after which it was working much more smoothly.

After that, I also managed to replumb my washer jets as the hose was all split.

Not quite earth-shattering progress, but a little closer still!

Edited by browno, 25 January 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#40 browno

browno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

Another good day today - a nice wander round the stalls at Bingley Hall, where I managed to buy a load of bits that I need to get sorted - small bits like pedal rubbers and battery clamps, a pair of halogen lamps to replace the dubious angel eyes I had fitted a while ago and a couple of extravagances! First of these was a pair of opening rear windows and secondly a new dash.

I mentioned before about trying to paint the clock cowl, but having walked round today thought it might look better to fit a full width dash to finish the interior off and provide a nice contrast to the red dash rails. So I bought myself a piano black dash, which I have sorted and fitted tonight. This required removal of one leg of the front cage, and needed some swearing to get everything in and lined up, but I think the end result looks pretty smart!

890B1F31-C048-4966-87A9-0A3A821DB672_zps

77240FB9-E2BA-4B57-B35E-E322BEA304E6_zps

So now it is time to keep up the momentum and get the cage refitted and the other bits all done and it will be ready to go!

#41 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

Woooooo! Shiny!!! 😎

#42 Adammcedonagh17

Adammcedonagh17

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local Club: Galway mini club

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

Unreal story . Best of luck finishing it !

#43 browno

browno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:10 AM

Thanks again for your encouragement folks, and I have stepped forward a little more today by swapping the headlights from angel eyes to conventional halogen units, which look much less fussy on the front end.

Before:

9C572212-5056-4BD2-9DD2-C231F0A9C9F6_zps

During:

E6FAD400-28DF-4905-911B-DAD2F3FBD4B4_zps

After:

815C6A62-ABE3-48CE-863F-3BA29FF436D5_zps

And I also then loosely refitted the rest of the front cage to put the interior back together...

5655DFF5-CDAB-46A6-A266-9C65308BBE67_zps

So a little further forward again - hopefully MOT approaching soon - I already have my mate on standby to get me booked in to see what I might have missed!

#44 JPN173

JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

i have been enjoying this rebuild, i tried uploading on here but quickly gave up and found instagram is far easier #shamelessplug

im sure im speaking for a portion of people by saying... "thank you for replacing those angel eyes"

i dont know why but in my opinion the angel eyes can ruin the appearance of a mini, they look good on a bmw however not on a mini

sorry if this comes across as snobby 

#45 browno

browno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Cheers JPN173 - agreed on the angel eyes, when I fitted them way back when, they had a bit of novelty value as being "different", but they are a bit out of line with the overall look of the car, so needed swapping!

In other news - I have another milestone... I called to see my mate this morning, and THE MOT IS BOOKED! Yup - it will be going in for test a week on Saturday, so fingers crossed all will look good! In the meantime I'm going to give it a good look over, and check for anything I may have missed but hopefully we are good to go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users