#1 zogzog60

zogzog60

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:14 PM

Hi there,
I'm considering purchasing a 1998/9/00 mini to convert to a motorbike engine, however there are a few questions that I hope someone will answer for me. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated

1) Basically, I am questioning the usablility of the motorbike conversion, is it usable as a daily driver, or only as a weekend toy, only for trackdays?
2) The pro-motive kit does not include a reverse gear, is this a problem, I cant help but thinking that this may be the killer for me, I think that I would need to have a reverse gear.
3) Is the Quaife LSD recommended, or not essential, or can it be upgraded without much trouble at a later date?
4) Am I right is saying that no minis were ever produced with power steering? If so, I take it that the converstion would not include a PS system, but would it be worth trying to add one at the same time? Or is it even possible?

If someone could answer some or all of the questions, I would really appreciate it.
Cheers,
Jamie

#2 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

I can't help with all of your questions, but I'd say this:

Only you can decide if a reverse would be a killer, think about when you use it or try driving your car for a week or two without using the reverse. Do you parallel park? When you go to the supermarket go a bit further from the store where you can drive through one space into the opposite space so you don't have to reverse out. Hand brake turn instead of 3 point turn??

Yes, no poser steering, but won't be a problem. The engine doesn't alter that, so it's down to tyre/wheel choice as to how the steering will feel.

#3 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

even i know those Q's (relitivly)

1. alex crosse uses his everyday for a treck to work and has been mostly reliable as a mini, just teething problems as with any new big project, same with martin i believe (or problems not relating to the kit)
2. i believe they are developing a kit currently, you do ATM have to push but iv seen alex before just stick 1 foot out the door n scoot it along
3. reaaaly should go for a quaife ATB as there good bits of kits and just finish the kit off propperly, i couldnt say if it is an easy enough swap but i again know alex has had his out before due to one of the teething problems i mentioned about
4. power steering, has been largley seen as a pointless excersize for various reasons, weight of the car etc

wait's for someone to correct me..and answer more technicaly :D

#4 BlueminiJohn

BlueminiJohn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:38 PM

Hi there,
I'm considering purchasing a 1998/9/00 mini to convert to a motorbike engine, however there are a few questions that I hope someone will answer for me. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated

1) Basically, I am questioning the usablility of the motorbike conversion, is it usable as a daily driver, or only as a weekend toy, only for trackdays?
2) The pro-motive kit does not include a reverse gear, is this a problem, I cant help but thinking that this may be the killer for me, I think that I would need to have a reverse gear.
3) Is the Quaife LSD recommended, or not essential, or can it be upgraded without much trouble at a later date?
4) Am I right is saying that no minis were ever produced with power steering? If so, I take it that the converstion would not include a PS system, but would it be worth trying to add one at the same time? Or is it even possible?

If someone could answer some or all of the questions, I would really appreciate it.
Cheers,
Jamie

Jamie,

I intend to do this myself and have looked quite a bit into it,
The car would be usuable as a daily driver without any problem but it will be noisy. As far as i am aware R1 engines are quite reliable.
Reverse gear is an issue if your seeing yourself needing one, you can get away without a reverse but you have to be careful. I believe pro-motive are working on a reverse gear that will fit the kit.
The lsd is recomended but not essential. You can use a x-pin diff but you will just get a smoother power delivery with the lsd.
Power steering, not an issue at all, no one uses it and im not sure it can even be fitted(dont take my word on that, this is a mini after all!).
There are mini's out there with more powerful engines than R1' s and they get away with it. Once the car is moving the friction is greatly reduced and you won't notice a big difference.
Thinner tyres help but you dont want to go to thin with an engine like that.
Hope this helps you out a bit and good luck with the project.

Regards, John

#5 nino87

nino87

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:00 AM

the reverse is the issue for me aswell
im just going to save up for 2 years and hopefully by then the kit has a good reverse gear developed
dont rush into anything either

#6 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

Hi there,

Cheers,
Jamie

Hi there! i have pro-motive kit! so i can answer all the Q's & a little more! :D

1)Usability when set up is ace! its very demanding tho! it can be a daily driver there is one of us who does the old work & back Joby! (Alex) its a weekend toy for me & the odd track day!

2)Stop being a puff you dnt need reverse! but on that note they have now sorted a reverse box (in testing stages as i type) haven't seen it yet! i might put an order in! cheaper i believe when bought with kit instead of after!

3)Quafie IS MEGA FUN! i recommend altho not needed! the cross diff supplied with kit is great! and it is to my knowledge upgraded easy enough at a l8r stage!

4)POWER steering!!!!!! BUY A BMW!!!!!!! HAHAHA only joking matey :thumbsup: well it is poss iv seen it! but theres no point to be honest!

I would also just like to add the customer service you buy with the pro-mo kit is second to none! i have had outstanding service from the word go! just ring them up & organise a demo! i did n wow! handed the money over there & then! ;D

Hope this helps let us all no how you get on!

Edited by Basky, 23 October 2008 - 12:07 AM.

#7 zogzog60

zogzog60

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for all the answers guys!

To be honest, I commute to work on the train everyday, so going to work and back isnt a big deal for me, it would just be using it to shop etc, as I am only 20 now (although by the time that I start/finish the project then i might be a bit older!) having a second car would be pushing it just a bit!

Good news on the reverse, I know the website says it is development, but I really was taking that at face value, in development could mean anything! Hopefully by the time I'm ready for the kit, it should be avaliable!

I think that I would get the LSD, I mean if a jobs worth doing...

And power steering, yeah I know I'm being a bit of a puff, but I thought I might as well ask! The real reason I was asking was because I was thinking about 13" deep dish wheels, and I know that cars without power steering, and big wheels can be a handful.

Good to hear from people who have the kit that customer service is good, as although it may seem that i havent, I have done some research, and seen alot of good things about customer service with pro-motive! However it is one of those things where you can never have enough people telling you its good!

To be honest I think the mini is going to happen anyway, good fun, good looks and cheap insurance are all pluses for me. The conversion may require a bit more research, but I think that it may be a goer pretty soon in the future as well!

Once again thanks for the help here, and feel free to add anything that you think I should know!

#8 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • Local Club: many!

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

why is reverse an issue? just get out and push...the car doesnt weigh that much...and its kinda cool!

#9 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

cars easy to just push backwards, wouldnt bother with reverse, you dont need it.

Diffs arnt difficult to swap round, just drop the diff housing out the bottom and give it to the promo guys to change over. Simple.

Yamaha engine is about as solid as it gets, but its also very very light, so the steering is even lighter than normal, no need for power steerings.

Im 20 and its my commuter.

Minter

#10 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

reverse mechanism is virtually ready to go, but to be honest - you just dont need it.
Bike converted mini can be used everyday - no problem. more so than ever before - certain recent enhancements and improve,ments have made the kits even more practical for a daily user.
forget power assistance - waste to time and money IMHO. there is enough going on in there already.
the quaiffe has been good for basky, and my regular ol' diff has also been bullet proof so far.

at the end of the day its fast, its cool, its fun and its way cheaper than any similar conversion on the market. Lack of reverse really isnt an issue when you weigh it up. Plus there is usually at least 4 volounteers to push you wherever you need to go.

#11 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

Plus there is usually at least 4 volounteers to push you wherever you need to go.

in otherwords alex makes you push while he steers, even when its stupid o-clock when your on the way to castle combe, pushing on the grass when theres loads of due(spelling? that water anyway) on the ground

#12 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

LOL! that was amusing

#13 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:33 AM

yeah...about as amusing as *ahem*

#14 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

oil pressure? lol

#15 Jack Jones

Jack Jones

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

ok at the end of the day
the kit complys of .........
it takes around ........... hours/days to fit
the engine will last ...........
it will cost around ........ and ............. including quaife diff
you will need .......... and ............ to successfully fit conversion get running and be able to tell how fast your going
and is the price likely to rise or fall in the next few years

any experience with torque steer, ringing ears, followed by unwanted people

please thank you

really want to do this it will take me around a year to save up for this alone not including other project parts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users