#77 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

For those that are interested in clutches and the like here is a snap of what my Carbon clutch looks like when pulled apart (excuse the grainy photos, they were done on my phone):

Posted Image

Posted Image

And once all back together on the new engine, this si the last time it will look like this:

Posted Image

#78 carboy001

carboy001

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

Some good fabricating with the 'rack gap'.

Tasty looking clutch assembly youve got there. Bugger you had to mess around with the engine, bet you were gutted!

Chin up, atleast you can further improve the work already thought to be done like the arches ;)

#79 e11evns

e11evns

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Local Club: not in one yet

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

ouch.......... what happened to the engine then? and what was the carbon clutch like? or didnt it last long enough to find out? gutted! did you have a place booked at L2b?

#80 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Local Club: MOALA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

Looking good, pulling the engine wasnt too bad was it?

Yes, Im doing mine AGAIN! But its just cause Im doing it bigger and better this time.

#81 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

ouch.......... what happened to the engine then? and what was the carbon clutch like? or didnt it last long enough to find out? gutted! did you have a place booked at L2b?

Engine was too poorly to even start, therefore still dont know what clutch is like. Fortunately it was some time ago that I noticed engine problem so didnt book a place for the L2B.

Looking good, pulling the engine wasnt too bad was it?

Yes, Im doing mine AGAIN! But its just cause Im doing it bigger and better this time.

Lyle

The engine pull wasnt too bad at all, thanks for the heads up on that.

I didnt think you could get bigger and better than a Turbo + Nitrous nut job like yours, but good luck with all the same, cant wait to see what comes out the other side of your engine pull.

I finished my Rack Gap filler over the weekend and will get some pictures up in due course.

I spent some time over the weekend fabbing up a shroud for my little fuel cooler, its a small 110mmx75mm matrix Mocal oil cooler thats going in the fuel line just before the fuel rail. What with all the radiant heat from the radiator onto the fuel tank and from the coolant pipes to the fuel line, pump and filters in the tunnel the fuel could do with a little cooling, I figure D.E.I. wouldnt sell a Cryogenic fuel bar (LINKY TO D.E.I. SITE) if cooling the fuel didnt do any good.

Anyway more on those two subjects in a short while, with photos n stuff to go with them.

#82 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

love that HKS clutch awesome :)

#83 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

love that HKS clutch awesome :)

Its an Exedy - here is a link to the site I got mine from, they were the cheapest I could find on the internet:

LINKY - Exedy Carbon Clutch

Now no-one go upsetting me by finding them cheaper anywhere else - also the pound was a lot stronger when I bought mine.

#84 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

So here goes on the completion of 'The Rack Gap':

I got the part back nicely welded up (really wish I had a tig welder, my mig just isnt up to the job), thanks to Steve.

And then set about making a hole in it. Problem is that without a hole in the side you cant get the bolt in or out of the column, which means you cant get the column on or off. So below are a series of photos showing the part and then bits added and holes made and a load of other stuff, enjoy.....

The Part welded together:

Posted Image
Posted Image

A couple of rivnuts in place and a cover plate made up from some 3mm plate:

Posted Image

Now cut out a hole big enough to get the column bolt through quite happily (8mm bolt)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Mark out the fixing holes and offer it up:

Posted Image

Now here is an interesting bit (well I think so), to aid in the watertighting of this part you need to consider that although the rack gap is almost closed it still has some gap and it is not even, so some lateral thinking was required, the donut you see below is made from the picking the backing off the dynamat, rolling into a sausage and then joining together. I figured it should work quite well when compressed between the two surfaces, the sealant around the outer rim is roof and gutter sealant, if you gonna use this make sure theres plenty of it so when it shrinks under drying it doesnt leave a gap, proper sticky stuff, it never really goes off like other seelants making it ideal if you ever have to remove the part. You'll get sticky finger - trust me:

Posted Image

Liquid gasket used for the cover plate - dont forget the loctite on the bolts holding the plate on, if you not in a hurry you can wait til the gasket goes off before applying the loctite:

Posted Image

So here it from the inside:

Posted Image

And here it is from underneath, (photos a rubbish - soz) firstly without cover plate, then with..

Posted Image
Posted Image

Lastly this is what you see from above, note the seal created by the dynamat donut.

Posted Image

#85 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Onto the fuel cooler.

I whipped this bad boy up on Sunday, unfortunately I dont have any before or during shots of this as I just cracked on with it and didnt have a camera to hand, nevermind.

This going to be connected directly to the offside scoop, in such a way that you will see the matrix when looking in the scoop. As I said in an earlier thread with all the radiant heat that will inevitably transfer into my tank, filters, pump, fuel cat and fuel piping I think it will be prudent to cool the fuel.

Another big thanks to Stevie G for the welding, even though he got Barry to do it.

So here is the shroud and cooler (again excuse the grainy photos, my phone comes in handy for photos but doesnt take the best photos in the world):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#86 wilcooper

wilcooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

Just been through all project and looks immense!!!! Gutted about the engine, but thats life :) .

Can't wait for a visual ride in it on youtube ^^

#87 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Just when i think the custom fabrications finished you show me another amazing piece of custom fabrications :)

#88 cosworth

cosworth

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

This project is the dogs danglies. Absolutely loving it. Well done for getting over the engine issues. I would have still been crying if it was me.......

#89 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

Just been through all project and looks immense!!!! Gutted about the engine, but thats life :thumbsup: .

Can't wait for a visual ride in it on youtube ^^

Trust me, I cant wait to make the video......

Just when i think the custom fabrications finished you show me another amazing piece of custom fabrications :thumbsup:

Cheers...

This project is the dogs danglies. Absolutely loving it. Well done for getting over the engine issues. I would have still been crying if it was me.......

Thanks and it took a while to get over but we are now on the right road and pressing forward with getting it ready asap.

#90 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

Bad luck about the engine :) , but its going to be an awesome car :( .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users