cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

Supercharger Snout Brace/Clamp

Quite some time back, when I put the chargecooler on, I made a snout brace for the supercharger.

My thinking behind it was to:

a) relieve stress from the intake manifold to cylinder head bolts,

b) to replace the original idler pulley position to greatly improve the effectiveness of the belt tensioner (JRSC setup without idler was rubbish)

c) adding a further idler pulley would greatly improve the amount of belt wrap on the charger pulley as it was getting spun faster I didn't want belt slip.

I mistakenly thought that a slight interference fit would suffice to keep everything in check, nope...... I cant begin to explain the amount of black cr4p produced by the two parts rubbing. So below we see it as was (1st picture) and then how it is now after a cheeky bit of machining by my good mate Stevie G....

314db084.jpg

That bad boy is not going anywhere now it's clamped down properly...

IMG_3555_zps2az5ntmu.jpg

#1082 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Christ, it's been almost a full year since I've posted anything on here.

I have shiny new bits going on the car soon so will be bringing the build up to date.

#1083 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

New Driveshafts

So late autumn last year I had been out for a hoon and when setting off onto a roundabout I snapped a driveshaft. The same side as had previously snapped. Not happy, more than anything not happy because had to push the fecking thing myself off the roundabout, with everyone I'd previously overtaken going past.....I'd like to add that I consider myself fairly mechaincally sympathetic when driving and absolutely do not clutch drop when setting off so this happening a second time was disconcerting.

I got in touch with David at Zcars in Ashford, about getting new ones and went for a trip to see them in the new (to me) premises. For those that haven't been it's a really professional outfit and is so good to see someone trying to make a go of the company. If anyone ahd any doubt about the new company being as good, I can tell you they are and their customer service is top notch.

In our discussion we agreed that just using the same driveshafts as previously supplied was not going to work long-term. The new driveshafts are made from gearshaft steel so should be able to take the abuse, especially as I plan to add a few more ponies down the line (more of that later).

Old snapped one:

071E2309-3847-4677-8D26-6556540AEA9D_zps

531D2765-CFB1-4DB6-8E84-2070C4B72033_zps

New shiny ones:

IMG_5377_zpswv6ry0cx.jpg

I am trying to get them fitted asap.

#1084 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

Total of new shiny bits:

IMG_5373_zps5ccmq0zc.jpg

#1085 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

New Supercharger:

Some of you may have noticed a new SC in the photo of new shiny bits. Well this payment for CAD work for my man at Merc Racing in the US. I've been designing a new intake manifold for use with the Honda K20 engines that can take different sized superchargers and also have the facility to add a water to air intercooler core if required.

The old Jackson Racing unit I have currently strapped to the car produces 1.02L per revolution (3 lobe 60degree twist). The new SC is a Magnuson TVS2300 and produces 2.3L per revolution, not only does it move more air but it uses a 4 lobe design with 160degree twist which is better for peak performance.

I am currently waiting on the new manifolds being cast so wont have one in my hands any time soon.

Here are a few renders of what it looks like:

K20A2%20WITH%20MR%20W2A%202_zps6wwvbh14_

Merc%20Racing%20W2A%20Manifold%204_zpsld

I invested in a 3D printer earlier in the year so I could validate the design, here's a few pictures of the print:

IMG_5251_zpsl6pbufhc.jpg

IMG_5245_zpsd1gyn602.jpg

IMG_5239_zpsqomguarp.jpg

IMG_5236_zps76qrepbg.jpg

Here's a few more of the TVS2300:

IMG_5375_zpsniuhyalf.jpg

IMG_5379_zpsmdanzewb.jpg

IMG_5376_zps81s32dcz.jpg

IMG_5380_zpslayfun2g.jpg

It's only downside:

IMG_5381_zpsar1bbdhh.jpg

Obviously more to come as and when things progress.....

Edited by cptkirk, 30 April 2018 - 06:36 PM.

#1086 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

nice work

you (..and MercRacing i hope..) must be pretty happy with that

#1087 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

nice work

you (..and MercRacing i hope..) must be pretty happy with that

Yer, it's worked out quite well. proof will be in the pudding so waiting now for first casting. I am not 100% sure if this will fit in the mini yet, might need a bit of fettling on the firewall. The rest of the payment will see a 90mm Throttle body and Throttle body to supercharger inlet, this may have to be a special....If only I could print in high temperature resistant plastics then I could just print my own.

#1088 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Again you take things to the next level, so the story continues.

Regards

Don

#1089 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

Again you take things to the next level, so the story continues.

Regards

Don

Ha ha, yer here I go again. I am up to my eyeballs in putting an extension on the house currently, fortunately I made time to get the car back together last saturday. I am attending the Retro Rides weekender this weekend at Goodwood, seeing some track action in the morning and may stay for static show in the arvo - probs wont get to as it'll be back to the grindstone on the house.

#1090 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

That is one beast of a charger captain!

#1091 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

Oh yes it is, you would normally see them strapped to the top of V8 on Camaro's and the like.......It moves a lot of air......

I am aiming for 500 at the wheels but would settle with 500 at the crank (BHP), but I need to build the bottom end to take that amount of power. If it makes 500 BHP would net me a power to weight ratio of 667BHP/Tonne (with 750kgs for car weight). Dont  get wrong what I ahve right now is fast, but you get used to it. If for any reason it turns out I cant fit the big SC on the mini then I will defo look to go twincharged on the mini (still aiming for 500) and maybe strap the TVS2300 to the S2000 track car......

#1092 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Oh yes it is, you would normally see them strapped to the top of V8 on Camaro's and the like.......It moves a lot of air......

I am aiming for 500 at the wheels but would settle with 500 at the crank (BHP), but I need to build the bottom end to take that amount of power. If it makes 500 BHP would net me a power to weight ratio of 667BHP/Tonne (with 750kgs for car weight). Dont  get wrong what I ahve right now is fast, but you get used to it. If for any reason it turns out I cant fit the big SC on the mini then I will defo look to go twincharged on the mini (still aiming for 500) and maybe strap the TVS2300 to the S2000 track car......

Sounds like you got options enough.

I've been looking into those superchargers but I have the problem that I can't fit the dubble pulley on the alternator because my rear spring is to close. (B16 is reversed to the K-series.... )

Maybe a rotrex is an option. Gotta save money for this so I will have time to figure things out. Haha....

#1093 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

Maybe a rotrex is an option. Gotta save money for this so I will have time to figure things out. Haha....

Rotrex will net you nice peak power numbers but power ends up right at the top of the rev range, if you're racing then great to have it up there but for daily drive I'd look more to the Roots, the newer TVS from Magnuson are aimed to produce power a bit higher in the rev range but the power curve will be mostly flat, with a slight rise, rather than constantly rising like a Rotrex.

It all depends on how you like your power delivered, mine currently has a pretty flat torque curve so the power feels pretty constant through the rev range. Having good torque lower down is nice for overtaking on normal roads as you know exactly whats coming......no massive boost (turbo), not waiting for PSI/torque to build with revs (Rotrex)....but some people like it like that.

TDIDyno140512-Run03.jpg

#1094 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

Good info??

something to think about....

Thanks

#1095 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

Intake manifold casting finally arrived

Its been a while since posting, been turbo busy doing an extension on the house and anyone that has done one can tell you it is all consuming and unfortunately I am not even near completion.

Yesterday the fruits of my 3D designing labour came to fruition when I received my own intake manifold to strap my supercharger too. Jose at Mercracing also bunged in a manual tensioner that we designed a few years back. As suspected the casting looks identical to the 3D print I made of it early last year. It's taken quite a few rounds of changes to get it all where it is today and I am hoping for good thigns from it. My only problem now is finding the time to do anything with it.

These kits can be purchased from Mercracing in the US (Pro-Street Kit) and can use a whole host of different superchargers, from the JRSC (Eaton M62) that I have in mine currently, a CT Engineering (Eaton M62 different body), Magnuson TVS 900, 1320, 1900 & 2300 (my new one). 

Pictures:

Kit all wrapped up:

W2A%20Kit%20002_zpsgurhctsx.jpeg

Unwrapped:

W2A%20Kit%20001_zpsolkbwmsc.jpeg

Nice to see it comes with all the bolts required for the build

A few close ups:

W2A%20Casting%20002_zps7t8gjamc.jpeg

W2A%20Casting%20001_zpsbb6jlmfz.jpeg

One of the casting against the 3D print:

W2A%203D%20Print%20and%20Casting%20001_z

Inlet manifold to fit to the charger for a 90mm Throttle body, should suck some air in.....

TB-SC%20Inlet%2090mm%20to%20TVS2300%2000

TB-SC%20Inlet%2090mm%20to%20TVS2300%2000

Finally the Manual Tensioner, especially useful if you cant find a 7PK belt that's a spot on fit:

Manual%20Tensioner%20K20%20Honda%20002_z

Manual%20Tensioner%20K20%20Honda%20001_z

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users