81 replies to this topic

#61 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

Yeah it's going really well thanks. It should be complete and on the roads in a couple of weeks. I have now had all the body panels painted and I'm in the process of re-fitting. I am insured from 1st August through Adrian Flux as a z-car kit. This was the cheapest after alot of phonecalls. Nobody would insure it locally.
I also need to get it weighed and a simple note from a garage to say it is roadworthy, then they'll issue me with a registration.
I can't wait to drive it! Only driven it a few yards so far.
I'm in a similar position to you. I was planning on getting the last few hillclimbs and sprints in this year but I would need to buy slicks (probably a new helmet and racesuit too) which I just cant afford at the moment. So I now plan to sort out any teething troubles on the road and get a full seasons racing in next year that will probably include a visit to Jersey.
I'll upload some more pics soon (hopefully completed).
Hope you have fun in it on your track day!

#62 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

I just noticed the plate on the floor, for the drivers feet, I was sitting in mine the other day and thinking I would have to do something like that as that bar on the floor is huge.

Adapt and overcome....thats what it's all about......

#63 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Yes definatly need it, practicality and purpose over looks. However i got trademark on it! its gonna cost ya!! :)

You should claim your idea for you inner arches and we can do a trade off!

#64 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

So F**k me here we are at the end of the line! (For now)
2 years alot of blood sweat and tears and it would have all been worth it for how much fun Ive has this evening. And Ive been taking it easy!

I'm getting a friend with a good camera to get some proper pictures at the weekend so ill get them up. Ill continue to post pictures and videos on this thread. Got a trackday next week so ill get some footage of that also.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advise and thanks for all your comments. This really is all awesome and im yet to see the best!

Attached Files

#65 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

Well done mate, you've got a lovely looking motor there.

#66 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

Enjoy it -- you've earned it. :)

#67 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

Well Done, It looks awesome!
Cant wait to see your trackday footage.

I love the fact you can remove the rear screen so easily. Only last night I was thinking what a pain it is going to be to work in the engine bay once the rear screen is fitted!!

Good luck...

#68 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

Mark,

Nice work and congratulations! I like the color. The dyno #'s are pretty impressive. Let us know what kind of times you're able to turn.

Joe

#69 NickGSXR1000

NickGSXR1000

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

2 years alot of blood sweat and tears and it would have all been worth it for how much fun Ive has this evening. And Ive been taking it easy!

I'm getting a friend with a good camera to get some proper pictures at the weekend so ill get them up. Ill continue to post pictures and videos on this thread. Got a trackday next week so ill get some footage of that also.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advise and thanks for all your comments. This really is all awesome and im yet to see the best!

Hi Brandon,

First of all; congratulations with your fantastic looking car! Really amazing! We're currently working on our GSXR1000 conversion here in Holland. We've come up to the fase to install the air scoops in the windows, just like the ones on your car. We planned to bolt them in, but I don't see any bolts on your scoops, and I like that. What material did you use to bond the scoops to the perspex? And how did you manage not to create a mess with the glue/ kit? Do you have any pics on how you did this?

Thanks for the help! Wishing you a hell of a lot of fun driving your car! It looks the business!!!

Best regards,

Nick

#70 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

well done chap, proper nice build :)

#71 Dizzy Less

Dizzy Less

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local Club: Crewes Missiles

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

Well done fella, such a nice job, any many neet touches, I hope you wont mine me pinching the Idea of the rear screen. Hope to see it in the flesh, if your go to any shows on the main Land. >_<

#72 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

Video Le Mans Bugatti R1 Mini

#73 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Excellent Vid, cant wait to start making my own. Keep em coming.....

#74 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

excellent work mate!!!

#75 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Thought I might update my project as its quite apparent its still on going.
So 3 trackdays in and two starter motors down. Car is going awesome its a bit of an animal and has generated alot of good comments.
I find it very controlling under acceleration, very smooth and progressive and now have a bit more faith in you guys putting 200bhp+ turbo engines etc into your frames. I still have a few handling issues where the car may be a little hard as its skips around corners a bit but the turn in is very good. Im working on this for the next day, going to soften it all off a bit and work that way.

My main issue however is with the starter motor. On a bike the starter must stay engaged to the flywheel (unlike a car) When the car spins out and if you dont remember to dip the clutch you effectively turn the engine over very quickly backwards in gear. This is the result (Starter motor massacre!)
Attached File  07082009714.jpg   29.23K   20 downloads Attached File  07082009715.jpg   32.42K   17 downloads

Obviously the best remedy is to not spin but it does happen, (once at my hands and once at my dads hands). And on both times this is what happens. These little starters new cost about £300 quid (Luckily i can get them a bit cheaper off e bay)

Has anyone got a mechanical remedy to this or any thoughts? It must have happened before with you race guys or do you just realise your spinning and get the clutch in?!
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users