#1 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

the other day i went into a local car dealership after the spares deaprtment, as ever i was in my mini. immediately the sales manager came over and asked a few questions about it, shortly followed by "do you know anyone who may want a riley elf" so i said, well i might be? "how much????" the old fella then tells me how he bought it for his daughter when she turned 17, but she decided otherwise and went and bought a 106 on finance, leaving him with the elf stuck in the garage. this i assumed was recently, how wrong i was, he then tells me his daughter is now 36! anyway nothing was said of money at the time, and that evening i went over to take a look....

so there i was with my torch in my hand expecting to be mooching about in the dark, but the bloke led us into a warm garage and sure enough under an old sheet there it stood, nervously i pulled back the sheet expecting a right dog, on the understanding that if it was that good surely he would have used it himself or just sold it? well i was shocked, and so was my dad who came with me for a second opinion.

light grey paintwork with a cream roof, slightly dull, but no dents, and no rust on the outside other than a very minor scab on the one wing. so i leaned inside and breathed in the smell of the red (very good condition) leather. all is well so far, so i lifted up the carpets to have a peek at the holes in the floor.... which wernt there! so i opened the door and jumped in for a closer look, still no rust under the rear carpet, non on the other side of the car either. so i lefted the rear companion bin trim up, still nothing. my heart sinks a little as i realise its going to be well out of my price range.

so out of interest i lifted up the boot and had a look, just as i expected, no rust! dammit, if only i had more money, i bet i could have it for about 800? anyway i tell the guy i would love to have it, and that it would go to a very good home, and he insists i come back another day and have a better look with it out the garage. he also asked me how much i would give for it? well obviously i want it for as little as possible and he wants as much as possible, so i advice him that he should think for a few days how much he wants, and he best tell me.

that was last thursday, the sunday evening after the malvern show he called me up and said he still didnt know how much to ask so i had better make an offer, i said £350 and he said ok ! that leads me to tomorrow where i will be going to pick the car up and tow it home, its not that it wont start im sure it will, but im not going to mess with it at his place. best of all its only about a mile away, perfick!

tomorrow i will try to add some pics for you all to see, lucky find eh, not to mention a bragain!

#2 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

Now this just rubbing it in!!!

Looking forward to those pics as well.

Does this make us Elf Buddies now???

#3 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Awsooooome

#4 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

:lol: Good on ya!

wish i could find something like that !

#5 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

you could buy it off me and that would make me be prepared to be more than buddies lol. im just gutted i couldnt get it to day so i could have played with it, probably would have been taking it for an mot on monday lol

#6 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

you could buy it off me and that would make me be prepared to be more than buddies lol. im just gutted i couldnt get it to day so i could have played with it, probably would have been taking it for an mot on monday lol

I'd love to have it off ya, Poo could do with a friend, Mrs Shifty would kill me though(may p-ex some Harnesses though!!)

I may even Pop over and be nosey as well!!!

#7 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

You Lucky, Lucky, B@stard.

#8 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:25 PM

I'd love to have it off ya, Poo could do with a friend, Mrs Shifty would kill me though(may p-ex some Harnesses though!!)

I may even Pop over and be nosey as well!!!

your welcome anytime mate! i really want a classic van of some kind, ital/marina van or pickup, maybe a moggy 1000 van so i would part with the elf for somthing of that nature, preferably tax exempt, im just on ebay looking to see what there is. i always wanted a rover p6 v8 too though lol.

#9 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

great find! now lets see some pics!!!

#10 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

well as promised heres some pics, im sorry they are of a poor quality i meant to take some earlier in the day but i was too busy playing with it so i didnt end up taking them till it was dark! im sure you will get the idea though..... its really not as bad as it looks in the pics, its very solid.

after just about half an hours messing i had it running, but only with the lid removed from the float bowl and continually topping it up with petrol, i removed the tank, found it full of 20 year old fuel (which was more like varnish) poored that away, and found the fuel outlet was blocked, a bit of messing and that was cured, but still the electric fuel pump refused to play ball, checked the conection to it, and that was live, so i think its dead, will look more closely tomorrow though.

as soon as i put a battery on, all the electrics jumped to life, all the lights worked, wipers etc etc, managed to free of the brakes and it rolls well, handbrake works, no brakes through the pedal though, but i will re-build the brakes totally though before getting it on the road, so not bad so far, i got under it with the inspection lamp and all seems well, subframe is good, as is the floor.

so the plan is, brakes, fuel pump, exhaust (back box has a hole), oh and the clutch is stuck at the min so will need to check that out too, i followed it back from the guys house as my mate towed it on the a frame, it did look very cute, im quite struck with it... heres the pics anyway, i'll take some better ones tomorrow.

Attached Files

#11 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

That looks sweet!!

Do you need a grill?

Magic wand change as well, how cool!!

Interior looks mint, body looks solid as well.

Quick!!! Some call the police!!! Theres just been a robbery!!

Git!!!

#12 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

That looks sweet!!

Do you need a grill?

Magic wand change as well, how cool!!

Interior looks mint, body looks solid as well.

Quick!!! Some call the police!!! Theres just been a robbery!!

Git!!!

i have got the grille, its on the spare bonnet that came with it. im really happy with it, the interior is great in it, if the car had been total scrap i would have put it in my saloon i think. cant wait to get it mot'd so i can start the body work, going to give it a re-spray get it looking real fresh. do you have any trouble with your fuel pump? my dads morris 1000 had a leccy pump and that was always getting stuck, i just checked minispares and i think they sell the same one, about 68 quid so thats not bad to get the old girl running from her tank instead of me force feeding the float bowl

#13 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

Usually its just the points that need cleaning, if you pull the end cap off I bet they're all pitted, give em a clean and try again.

(or just hit it, that also works!!)

If you're gonna replace it then I think the pukka facet pumps are cheaper?

They're ace little things, bet ya don't want to sell it(would make a cool sleeper)

#14 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

Usually its just the points that need cleaning, if you pull the end cap off I bet they're all pitted, give em a clean and try again.

(or just hit it, that also works!!)

If you're gonna replace it then I think the pukka facet pumps are cheaper?

They're ace little things, bet ya don't want to sell it(would make a cool sleeper)

when its finished i will probably let it go, which i think will be quite hard cus i love it already. i dont want to spread myself to thin either really with my other mini and my dads to keep me going, not to mention the 12 valve engine im building. i would like to get it finished completely for january show at stafford (its also the same day as my birthday!)

i'll get the pump out tomorrow and see whats going on, i did give it a whack with a bit of wood, then when that didnt work i stepped it up to a hammer,

i know what you mean about a sleeper, but i have my red mini for that, it would be a shame to alter the little elf from standard really, as much as i would love to space frame it and put a c20xe in the front with a cossie diff out the back, bubble arches, 8x13s bucket seats and cage etc etc you get the idea lol

#15 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'd never even considered an Elf before I bought mine, now I love him, its just a bit different and more noticeable when you go to shows.

Out of all the minis I've owned I just couldn't part with him, usually after I've had em a couple of months I find myself looking at em and writing the fleabay ad in my head!!!

The interiors are ace and the boot space is enormous!!

Keep it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users