12 replies to this topic

#1 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

alright everyone, ive not posted for while. I have a bit of a problem........ well i think i have!

Basically i was driving for around 40 minutes last night, the first time in the dark. i had my intercoms on constantly and had my lights on for around 30 minutes. Thing is i slipped of the clutch and stalled i tried turning it over but it was very slow . i turned all the lights off and intercom but still really weak. in the end it had to be bump started. I had a look at the battery voltage and it was 11.5volts. started it today with jump box on checked charge. It was chargin at 12.5? I know yestrday it was 13.1 volt.
What im asking is... is the charge system of the r1 able to cope with all that or have i got a problem? the fact that is was only charging at 12.5 volts today kinda makes me think i have. What could it be?

#2 Adamsm

Adamsm

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

alright everyone, ive not posted for while. I have a bit of a problem........ well i think i have!

Basically i was driving for around 40 minutes last night, the first time in the dark. i had my intercoms on constantly and had my lights on for around 30 minutes. Thing is i slipped of the clutch and stalled i tried turning it over but it was very slow . i turned all the lights off and intercom but still really weak. in the end it had to be bump started. I had a look at the battery voltage and it was 11.5volts. started it today with jump box on checked charge. It was chargin at 12.5? I know yestrday it was 13.1 volt.
What im asking is... is the charge system of the r1 able to cope with all that or have i got a problem? the fact that is was only charging at 12.5 volts today kinda makes me think i have. What could it be?

I know that on the Hayabusa, when using the lights / heater / radio... the rectifier / generator connections will melt. Take a look at the connectors. Sportbike charging systems are not made for all that load.

#3 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:15 AM

oh dear! So the answer is buy 2 strong torches and strap them to the grill?!

Infact when i bought the engine the rectifier wiring wasnt brilliant. The power wire connection had melted and discoloured. Think i will order up a new 1 litte loom. So is there nothing you can do about this? What happends if you get caught in a big downpoor and need your wipers for a long period?? >_<

#4 2lrminivan

2lrminivan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

u will not get a true reading for the charging if the bat is flat charge it for 24 hours then leave it for a couple of hours (to get rid of the surface charge) then start it and see what reading u get

#5 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

Did someone say heater and radio? >_<

#6 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

dean i cant remember what battery was on your car but from years of building bike powered cars i can tell you that they like a big capacity battery as a sort of reserve if you like
they seem to charge at 13 to 14 volts if the battery is in good state of charge
once it slips down a bit then they go off pretty quickly
weve just built a high spec monte carlo for a customer its turbo charged and we struggle with those to crank them fast enough when hot etc so we took the descision to put tow batteries on it
its fantastic now as the starter whips the engine over at 600 rpm normally they are at 250 to 300
i would look at maybe fitting either a small second battery or upgrade to a diesel car battery with a good bit of reserve capacity
chris

#7 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:25 PM

Welcome to Rick's Motorsport Electrics.com! This guy supplies a higher output rectifier and stator. the rectifier increase is 25% will handle all your lights, radio, "heater"

#8 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

Ive got a varley red top 25 battery and never even thought about if i would need reserve capacity when i bought it.............didnt think about lights and the rain! Would it be worth going for the varley 40 or try a different company (cheaper)?! I would prefere to keep the battery dry and small like the varleys.

Any ideas?
thanksJust found this powervamp website we use this companies products to start our 27ltr dump trucks and it seems to do th trick!! Just wondered if anyone has used the powervamp batteries on their cars?

Edited by dean_chad, 22 November 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#9 2lrminivan

2lrminivan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

i use to sell some very similar, that what u have to think about is if u dont start the car every day it may take longer to start when its not been used .and on the batt is says abour CCA 1150 for 5 sec so if it takes longer to start the power will drop off rather quick.also when the engine is hot it may not start that quick.
what chris said about putting a car batt on is a good idea as there is loads of power for longer.
also bike batts have very thin plates in side so they do not last as long. if left for 1 month going flat the plates buckle and shorten the life.
if it was me i would put car batt on as i have worked with both types and the car one will last a lot longer

#10 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:40 AM

What your looking for in a battery to gauge longevity and capacitance is Ampere/hour or A/hr.

A mini battery has about 33 A/hr. That means the battery alone can supply 33 Amps for one hour, 66 Amps for 30 minutes, 16.5 Amps for 2 hours etc...

The higher the A/hr the the better the battery will be.

If you find your main power lead from the alternator it melting/burning you need a bigger gauge wire. If you can find one then parallel two or even three wires of equal gauge between your alternator and your battery. If you use the paralleling method then you must ensure that the collective cross sectional area of the wires is greater than your original main power lead, else you'll be back where you started (preferably twice that of your original power lead, to be safe).

Hope this helps.

#11 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

im going to get a ricks uprated alternator to see if they do the trick if they do it will be an easy mod to do its only half a dozen nuts and bolts and away you go
chris

#12 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

im going to get a ricks uprated alternator to see if they do the trick if they do it will be an easy mod to do its only half a dozen nuts and bolts and away you go
chris

chris, in researching other threads it sounds like just do the HD rectifier, no need to go uprated stator. was looking at oyher forums about Ricks systems

#13 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

ive uprated the battery now but im still looking into that ricks system. can you get the uprated system for the yzfr1 2001?

Edited by dean_chad, 09 December 2008 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users