87 replies to this topic

#31 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:19 PM

:erm: do you do that everytime you wash the car?

I've already brought this up a while ago but i've got the flash car wash system thing and it's great! So much easier and quicker and really cleans the car. Don't have to hold a cold wet chamois for ages either!

You fill the gun up with shampoo and put the water filter in then click it to the hose. You rinse the car, click the gun onto shampoo and it sprays shampooy water over the panel, you sponge it over, then rinse it then you click it to AutoDry and it filters impurifications from the water so when it dries naturally it doesn;t leave water marks!

It really is good. You can tell it's really cleaning the car because the that you use gets really dirty so it's pulling the dirt off the car! :grin:

#32 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:37 PM

do you do that everytime you wash the car?

Yeah I guess I do really! Call me old fashioned but I find it dead theraputic washing a car, its relaxing with good results at the end. It takes a good couple of hours, but the car looks good for ages afterwards :w00t:

#33 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:42 PM

Would do that to mine but one day in the works car park and its covered in dust, damn construction workers and dust car park.

#34 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

you need to be careful when washing a car, as if you don't do it right, you just scratch it.
very...very basically you need to be:
1. always pre rinse the car with lots and lots of water, starting from top to bottom.
2. when actually washing ther car, work from the botom to the top, if you work from the top, any grit and stuff falls down the bodywork, so when you get lower down you are just rubbing grit and nasty scratchy stuff into the paint work, thats how you get them scouring marks on the paint.
3. then give it a good rinse with the hose pie/jet wash, again from top to bottom.

i saw some duke of edinburgh award type people washing cars for charity at McD's the other day. they were washing this blokes nice porsche. no hosepipes no pre wash, they just washed it down with a sponge, then thew a couple of buckets of water over it, i could have cried!!

#35 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

work from the botom to the top, if you work from the top, any grit and stuff falls down the bodywork, so when you get lower down you are just rubbing grit and nasty scratchy stuff into the paint work

Hmm that's interesting, I didn't know that and always thought you should work the other way round because the dirtiest bits are usually at the bottom and should be rinsed downwards and away, not dragged upwards. Hmm. *Makes notes on yet another post-it*

#36 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:38 AM

Yea, I've always washed a car from top to bottom based on the same principles as Teapots

#37 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

ok then lol

#38 MINImiser

MINImiser

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local Club: Runnin' AMOC

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

At the moment im using Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine, the quality is second to none. Cleaned the whole car with it the other day the went for a spin it was a real head turner, i even distracted someone at a set of traffic lights next to me the lights had turned green but they were still sat there looking at my car. LOL!

Ed

#39 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:17 AM

I couldn't think of anything I wanted for xmas a few years ago, so my GF bought me a starter set of Zymol. I can honestly say it's the best stuff i've ever used. It actually seemed to make the paint seem much deeper.

It's a shed load of hassle (you wash, dry, clean, polish and then wax!), but you only have to do the full job twice a year. IMHO, well worth it!

If you don't want to shell out that much, try the zymol cleaner wax (baby blue coloured stuff) they do in halfrauds. you will need a wax afterwards though.

Also, if you are in the need to t-cut anything, dont! lay your hands on some 3M polishing compund. It's much much more user friendly, and a lot kinder to older paint. Don't ask me where to get it though (I get mine from "trade", but a google will probably find it.)

#40 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:13 PM

T-Cut contains loads of amonia which is very harmfull to 2K and the older cellouse based paints.

#41 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:35 PM

I used T-cut to clean up my alloys, they were dull and had lots of spots and marks on them, i've only done the front so far but it took off the marks with a bit (ok; a LOT) of elbow grease, then I polished them and now they shine!

#42 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:43 PM

I use Sissol stuff.

First of all i rinse the car off with the hose and starting from top to bottom i use swissol car bath on everything, including the alloys using a cotton wash thing and a sponge on the alloys.
I then rinse it off with an inline ionic water filter (www.ionicsystems.com) which rinses the car and totally eliminates any chance of leaving the spots on the car where the water has dried off. After using a clean wiper blade i will coax off most of the standing water before using a chamois. Due to the ionic filter, at no point is there any water spots on the car so there is no rush in getting all the water off and leaving any streaking. i also go round and open all the doors, fuel cap, rear windows and remove the bonnet. This help all the water drain out and i can then use another chamois the clean all the shut lines etc.
Every six months i use the swissol cleaner fluid to remove any built up bits of C**p or any other nasty stuff. To do this properly takes a well over 1 1/2 hrs as you rub it on in an area no more that a couple of foot sq, leave for 30 sec then buff off. It is applied in straight lines and taken off in straight lines. This is also the case for applying the wax.

The wax i use is the swissol Saphir wax. This is quite expensive at £70 for 200ml but this is by far the best wax ive every used. It also smells lovely aswell!! I try to clean the car every week as i dont have a garage at the mo. Im getting a monsoon car cover for it this week as it wont be getting used that much.
So there you have it. A happy Bertie every time!! :grin: :grin:

#43 MiniCeri

MiniCeri

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

I use Meguirs, used to use Autoglym and i thought that was great, but Meguirs seems a little bit better ;D

#44 Boab

Boab

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,604 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

I use Meguirs, used to use Autoglym and i thought that was great, but Meguirs seems a little bit better :proud:

It's the dogs danglies. Being in a Subaru club, this is what the majority use.

Another one is called 'Liquid Gold' but is about £60-80 a shot, but what a finish.

#45 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

I use Meguirs, used to use Autoglym and i thought that was great, but Meguirs seems a little bit better :w00t:

I used to use Autoglym but over time it has left small scratches in the paint,, It has happened to a few on Briskoda.net I have now switched to Meguiars and the difference is massive I use the following:

- Wet the car fully
- I use Zimol car wash
- Meguiars quick detailing clay (You wont believe how much dirt is on the car after washing)
- Rinse the car and leather off
- I then polish with Meguiars gold Class

I do use the autoglym internal shampoo as its great for removing stains and the vinyl care as it looks oem and smeels nice

Just my routine seems to work well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users