#1 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

i'm currently running a smart roadster which has a rear mounted 3 cyl 800cc turbo pushing 80bhp. it also has a 6 speed full auto/semi auto gearbox. smart tuners are now putting the R1/hyabusa etc engines in the smarts now.

has anyone thought of using this ready made set up in the back of a mini a la z cars?

matt

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

Have a look at F1Minis, Petes or Ade's R1 projects!

#3 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

yes, those are z cars conversions which i am considering for my mini (or rsr)- i was thinking about using the whole smart car set up ie engine, trans, drive shafts suspension , rear brakes etc as one piece, mounted in the rear like the z cars set up.

the reason i ask is that this set up is a factory fit use of a bike styled engine in a car so other than engineering the mounting of whole unit, connecting up the fuel and brakes, cooling and electrics it must offer cost savings/simpler to fit?

i've seem front end smashed smart cars for a couple of grand - so if you could use most the part from a smart, it could be cheaper

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:07 PM

Ahhhhh, I see, good thinking, but I would of thought the subframe would need quite alot of modifying to fit to a mini. May work out as cheap as a Vtec though...

#5 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:08 PM

i say try it...

#6 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:09 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea....if it fits.

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

sound like someone should try it :cheese:

#8 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

someone donate me a smart car, a welder, lots of money and a workshop and ill do it :w00t: :huh: :huh:

#9 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

Is the Smart gearbox any good though? I know someone who has a Roadster, and you can't launch it properly, takes ages to change gear etc etc..

He said if he had a proper 'box it would be quite quick (apparently)...

#10 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:23 PM

after rooting through some of the pictures on my computer, i saw this!

it was at a meet for ClioSport i went with my brother at the three sisters carting track.

a Brabus Smart Car... :w00t:

Attached Files

#11 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:29 AM

Z cars put them in the roadster or coupe only. Very expensive base car! Plus they weigh 800kilos plus. mini z-cars are only 660kilos for an R1 kit

#12 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:30 AM

And that aint the proper brabus, I don't think, They make a 120bhp roadster/coupe and made about 200 V6 ones too.

That one has probably just got a brabus badge on it

#13 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:38 AM

yes, those are z cars conversions which i am considering for my mini (or rsr)- i was thinking about using the whole smart car set up ie engine, trans, drive shafts suspension , rear brakes etc as one piece, mounted in the rear like the z cars set up.

the reason i ask is that this set up is a factory fit use of a bike styled engine in a car so other than engineering the mounting of whole unit, connecting up the fuel and brakes, cooling and electrics it must offer cost savings/simpler to fit?

i've seem front end smashed smart cars for a couple of grand - so if you could use most the part from a smart, it could be cheaper

Sorry, didnt read properly.
running gear from a front ended smart in a mini. Sounds like a good idea. I know nothing about them tho. But would probably only be worth it with one of the brabus ones.
Very light!

#14 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:27 AM

gear change on the roadsters in poor in manual or auto modes - very slow but can be improved by feathering the throttle during ger change - will still do 0-60 in 9.8 s though and do approx 110 top speed. brabus versions will go quicker (are remapped to 105bhp). no v6 versions - smart decided not to go ahead with them as they have stopped roadster production.

yes, the issue will be to mount the engine, transmission and running gear. bit too much for me though.

any thoughts on going for the zcars R1(carb) set up but keeping 10 inch minilights?? want to keep the old school look. i was thinking that it would be undrivable with the standard R1 transmission and such small wheels?

chris allanson at zcars said that they use 13's only becuase of having use big brakes, but i'm currently using minispares alloy 4pots, which can be widened to take vented discs. surely this set up would be capable

#15 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:45 PM

You can change the gearing from engine to rear shafts just by putting bigger or smaller sprockets onto the diff so you could make it driveable for 10" wheels. If you could get one of the early kits with inboard rear brakes then you should be able to run 10" wheels.

Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users