87 replies to this topic

#31 WillMini

WillMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

wow, thanks for all the info. i think im defiantly going to go with 2. I am going to make sure i seal it up tight in there, i have all winter to work on this as i dont use the car in the snow. so i want to make sure i have a good enclosure. do you know what programs would be the best to figure out what size port i should use, or know of any good resources to find this info?

sorry for the thread hijack!

#32 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

PMM, your install looked wicked, i was going to get the tang band 6.5's but i think i only want 2. how would 2 of them compare to lets say a 10 inch sub in the trunk? do they produce much bass? i just want to be able to feel the bass a bit better than if i just had regular 5.25 speakers in the front and 6x9's under the rear seat.

The Tang Bands are proper subs in all senses of the word and only work upto about 400hz and to do them justice you will need to seal them in air tight which alot of people don't and then they chuff and potentially you risk damage, I am not a fan on the speakerboards that they sell for 6x9 and the like as they are either not ported or not 100% sealed air tight.

Anyhow I find them ideal inside the cabin space but OTT having 4 they easily overpower the other speakers.

2 would work well but attention to detail in the construction is a must.. Under the mini rear seat there are numerious holes to plug tight...

However they could be ported... and I did get interesting results with just 2 in and alot of wadding to plug the gap over the exhaust arch so I know they will work well ported but you would need to run the numbers to get the port right.

I get an enclosure resonance of 29hz sealed and I have seen 19hz on the laptops audio analyser proggy (I can't hear sounds below 25hz to be honest)

Also being in the cabin area rather than the boot more of the sound reaches your ears rather than being lost in transit so to speak between the boot/bodyworkwork.

I was very surprised by what the Tang Bands achieved and they really do add substance to the bottomend of the music my head unit is a JVC and it has a sub channel as well as selctable cut-offs high/mid/low and I have set at low which means only sub 70hz are sent to the sub and that really firms up the sound keeping it from overlapping with the other speakers.

Alot of people don't realise it but for reference :wub: what people refer to as punch i.e you feel it in you chest is actually somewhat higher up the spectrum and associated with 80-100 hz which is medically known as your chest cavity resonance which is about the same as a snare drum. So keep that in mind when you refer to feeling it :wub:

I think my head unit goes from 0 to 7 on the sub channel I have it set at 3 which is a nice balance for me but I can turn it up a great deal more and make the garage roof rattle but its OTT for me but for others thats what they like with there big 12"+ subs

Its personal preference at the end of the day but certainly 2x Tand bands will give a heafty bottom end boost over std speakers.... just changing my head unit from sub off to level 1 instantly fills out the bottom end extending downwards far greater than the genesis 16s in the rear shelf by a large margin.

Chaps,

I've been looking at various different 6" subs for a while now (new year project and all!) But cannot find the Tang Band subs anywhere! Any ideas on a supplier?

Cheers,
Watso

#33 PMM

PMM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

Don't know a UK supplier but I got mine from Germany using Paypal as the payment method.

4 or 5 days for delivery.

http://oaudio.de/Lou...bnv56jne5vr18m2

http://www.tb-speake...4/w6-1139si.htm

There are 2 versions a single Voice Coil and a Dual Voice coil The SG = Single and SH = Dual.

#34 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

Don't know a UK supplier but I got mine from Germany using Paypal as the payment method.

4 or 5 days for delivery.

http://oaudio.de/Lou...bnv56jne5vr18m2

http://www.tb-speake...4/w6-1139si.htm

There are 2 versions a single Voice Coil and a Dual Voice coil The SG = Single and SH = Dual.

Awesome, cheers mate! Although the top link appears to be a different woofer? I've had a look around the site and located what looks to be the same one (specs & curve are the same as those listed on the tb site). Looks like a very good price too. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated :wub:

#35 PMM

PMM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Sorry did not notice it had stuck a session id in with the page link

try this.. http://oaudio.de/Lou...:127_25_11.html

Should be the same page you seen.

Edited by PMM, 19 December 2008 - 12:53 PM.

#36 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Sorry did not notice it had stuck a session id in with the page link

try this.. http://oaudio.de/Lou...:127_25_11.html

Should be the same page you seen.

Spot On! :dontgetit:

#37 PMM

PMM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

do you know what programs would be the best to figure out what size port i should use, or know of any good resources to find this info?

sorry for the thread hijack!

I found this site useful... http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

It allows you to do a box enclosure that's like the space under the MINI seat because the seat area slopes so on that site above scroll down to 'Triangular boxes' plug the necessary data in... then in the section underneath it deals with port sizes etc

Hope that helps

#38 dodgy_rider

dodgy_rider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

I have 2 8" Subs under the rear seat and they are pretty good then just got 2 10cm speakers up front

subs

#39 WillMini

WillMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

i think im going to go with the tang bands from parts express (http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=264-832), are these dual or single voice coil? and what does this mean? what sort of amp would i need for this?

#40 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

i think im going to go with the tang bands from parts express (http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=264-832), are these dual or single voice coil? and what does this mean? what sort of amp would i need for this?

Looking at the part number and tallying it up with PMM's info, these are the single voice coil ones mate. Seeing as these appear to be coming from the states, you might be better off buy from the links provided in previous posts. What with the stinging import tax etc? :dontgetit:

Edited by Watso, 20 December 2008 - 08:23 AM.

#41 PMM

PMM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

Yes they are 4 ohm single voice coil ones.

The difference is you have more wiring options with the Dual Voice to suit differing configurations depending on what you get.

If you have a Single voice coil and 2 Speakers you need an amp that can either drive 2 Channels one to each sub or you wire
them up in series as 8 ohms or in parallel as 2ohm ((Parallel)) is the preferred but that places a greater demand on the amp.

As for the amp they are rated at 60w to 120w each so an amp supplying an output in the region of 100w to 150w at 4Ohms will be ideal
I would go with one personally with an amp near 150Watt @ 4Ohm as that give you some scope with the wiring to wire as 8ohms or 2ohms and still stay in tolerance.

Difference with the Dual voice coil is that it has 2 electrical windings at 4ohms and 2 sets of terminals for wiring them up.

This means you can present an amp a load of 2ohm/4ohm/8ohm with a single sub... when using multiple subs e.g. 2 you wire each sub as a single 8ohm then wire the 2 subs in parallel to present the amp with 4ohms.. or with 4 subs each sub wired in series and then each sub connected in parallel to present an amp with a 2ohm load.

Hope that makes sense..

#42 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Yes they are 4 ohm single voice coil ones.

The difference is you have more wiring options with the Dual Voice to suit differing configurations depending on what you get.

If you have a Single voice coil and 2 Speakers you need an amp that can either drive 2 Channels one to each sub or you wire
them up in series as 8 ohms or in parallel as 2ohm ((Parallel)) is the preferred but that places a greater demand on the amp.

As for the amp they are rated at 60w to 120w each so an amp supplying an output in the region of 100w to 150w at 4Ohms will be ideal
I would go with one personally with an amp near 150Watt @ 4Ohm as that give you some scope with the wiring to wire as 8ohms or 2ohms and still stay in tolerance.

Difference with the Dual voice coil is that it has 2 electrical windings at 4ohms and 2 sets of terminals for wiring them up.

This means you can present an amp a load of 2ohm/4ohm/8ohm with a single sub... when using multiple subs e.g. 2 you wire each sub as a single 8ohm then wire the 2 subs in parallel to present the amp with 4ohms.. or with 4 subs each sub wired in series and then each sub connected in parallel to present an amp with a 2ohm load.

Hope that makes sense..

If all this seems a bit confusing, take a look on JL Audio's website as there are some very clear diagrams that cover which configuration will produce which "load" on the amp. Any trouble finding the info gimme a shout and i'll link it here.

Edited by Watso, 20 December 2008 - 01:44 PM.

#43 LOWRIDERHORNET

LOWRIDERHORNET

I want a beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Local Club: Jester`s Mini Club

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

More Vids anyone

#44 LOWRIDERHORNET

LOWRIDERHORNET

I want a beetle