13 replies to this topic

#1 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:49 PM

Im about to replace one of the front wheel bearings (drivers side) as im getting an awful noise from the wheel.

I had seen a few different bearings for sale at shows and i wasn't sure which one i need to buy.

So, i need to know what is the correct bearing i need to buy to replace the old one. The car is a 1990 racing green.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

I find that one wheel bearing kit is much the same as the next. A good kit will come with new seals etc.

That said it's probably worth getting one from a reputed trader if buying from a show. I got one from Minimine.

You can buy Timken type bearings which are of better load bearing design and will last longer, however on a road car I'm not sure if it is worth paying the extra for these.

#3 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:28 AM

this noise, could be the CV joint (constant velovity) joints, i thin calver went through how to change them the last issue o the magazine.

#4 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: skylineowners.com, turbominis

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:52 PM

this noise, could be the CV joint

yeah i agree miniman5

RacingGreen what noise does it make?

brett

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

You can buy Timken type bearings which are of better load bearing design and will last longer, however on a road car I'm not sure if it is worth paying the extra for these.

Is everyone listening carefully?

Good.

Timken wheel bearings are standard on all disk braked Mini's except the original Mini Cooper.

Ball bearings were used before that.

You must use Timken type taper roller wheel bearings.

If the noise is continuous it's most likely the wheel bearing. CV joints only knock when turning corners in most cases.

#6 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

the only way i can describe it is like a constant scratching noise coming from the wheel.

Does this sound about right for it being a bearing?

Thanks
Mike

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Not really, wheel bearings generally rumble. Sounds more like a collapsed disc water shield or something trapped behind it.

#8 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

well, i have already had the wheel off to see if i could see what the problem was, but i couldn't see anything then, would i have been able to see this from just taking the wheel off? (sorry, not very technical minded, just trying to get an idea of what im looking at)

Thanks

Mike

#9 Mini Man Sam

Mini Man Sam

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:45 AM

I have a similar noise from mine. Sounds like something rubbing all the time. It is a constant noise, not very loud, but does seem to be linked to the wheels. Had both wheels off, checked all round discs and callipers, nothing obvious, no play top to bottom or side to side in bearings, no unatural feedback through the steering wheel, am at a loss to what it is

Any suggestions anyone

#10 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:15 AM

does anyone else have any idea the noise might be, as its the only car i've got and i need to get it sorted as soon as possible.

Thnaks

#11 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

Dan's descriptions are correct. Failing CVs click and rattle during turns while wheel bearings generally rumble. You know it's something associated with a rotating wheel. Noises can seem to be coming from one place when they actually issue from somewhere else. Jack the wheels up one at a time and with the car in neutral, spin each wheel until you know which is the source. Once you're certain which it is, study it in depth.

#12 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

any ideas where is the best place to get the Timken type taper bearings from like dan said?

#13 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

i have found a local place that i may be able to get the bearing from, but does anyone know what the part number is or where i can find it out from?

Thanks

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:55 AM

Here's a link to Minispares part... Clicky even if you don't get them from there, at least it's a price guide. If your buying from a local Motorfactors, you'll probably pay at least double if not treble that price.

As for the noise. the only suggestion I can give is get the car up on axle stands (front wheels off the groud), run the engine in first and listen.. first with wheels full left lock, and right lock then straight ahead..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users