#1 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

Howdy!

I need to big your brain on issues of PAINT!

just want to confirm a couple of things and ask a couple questions.

First up I got the data sheet for paint I ordered (celly) and it has a mixing ratio of 1000 parts to 600-800 parts

I assume that it's mix it up till it the correct viscosity. and is there anyway i can bodge up a viscocity cup.

a couple of things i didn't understand about the data sheet was a couple of the diagrams

Posted Image

I assume that this is about the gun settings such as set the compressor to 4bars.
but the does the little radius symbol mean? is that somthing to do with the spray apparture(sorry couldn't think of anything else to call it.)

Posted Image

and I have no Idea what this one means

another quick one my primer didn't come with a mixing ratio is there a rule of thumb for mixing primer?
It's Tetrosyl Cellulose EP21 Grey Primer.

Cheers

Matt

#2 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Local Club: Swindon Mini AsoCiates

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:44 PM

once again, dial up kills me, can anyone post the pics as a attachment for me?

for celly, i normaly mix 10 parts paint to 7 parts hardner, for the viscosity cup, the only way is to get one, they are specialy made with a set volume and a set drain hole. the best thing is to spend £8 and use that. when the pics are posted i'll answer the rest of it for you.

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:43 PM

Cellulose paint is air dry and does not require any hardener , just thinners .
Fast thinners for small repairs and panel work , respray thinners , well as the name sugests. differant paint manufacturers paints require differant amounts of thinners to bring to a sprayable viscosity , some are measured by weight , others by volume .
As BMM says you can get a cheap viscosity cup from your local automotive paint suplier and it is best to use one unless you are an experianced paint mixer .

#4 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:07 PM

I have the data sheet for the top coat, so I'm pretty confident on what to do with that, it's just the primer thats boggling the old mind for me.

I hava a couple of spare panels to play around with the gun settings and such like but i wouldn't mind just know what the rough mixture parameters are for the primer.

Bristol if you P.M me your e-mail addy I'll send you the diagrams direct maybe we could have a chat on MSN if you have it...don't want to creep you out or anything. :tongue:

I'm gonna e-mail my paint supplier and see if they can send through a data sheet for the primer.

Anyone know where I can Pick up a Viscocity cup from?

Any Links Would be Apreciated!

Matt

#5 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Local Club: Swindon Mini AsoCiates

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

sorry meant thinners, bit busy yesterday, i've not got msn, using my laptop still, my e-mail address is [email protected]

#6 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:04 AM

i think...if i remember rightly that the 18" is the time, in seconds that it takes the cup to empty. when they mean empty, i think it means that as soon as the stream of paint out of the cup turns in to drips, this is when to stop timing. and if the paint is the right viscosity aty 20 degrees this will take place after 18 seconds...... am a bit pi**ed, so you need to double check this

#7 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

That would make sence!

#8 Mincento

Mincento

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

yes the above replys are correct useing a proper viscosity cup the paint should empty between 18-22 seconds if mixed properly its better being 20 seconds than 16 if you cant get it spot on though

celly primer is an equal mix 50/50 cant get more simple and it gives a nice application

pic showing spray gun says that you need a 1.2mm-1.4mm nozzle which is standard for most guns so ignore that

And about the pressure if your using a gravity fed gun use 2.5 bar of pressure if you use any more it will be terrible and will ruin the gun 4 bar of pressure should only be used on a suction fed gun (cup below the nozzle)

anu more questions just ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users