104 replies to this topic

#91 dickster

dickster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hi, just thought I'd show you my steering wheels.

When I got the car it had this wooden jobbie with black spokes, not sure what make it is but its not Mountney although it does have the same mounting holes as a Mountney.
Posted Image

Shortly after buying the car I replaced the wheel with a smaller Mountney, this one is a leather 11-inch wheel from Minits, the nice thing about Mountneys is they are quite cheap although I think they've changed their leather over the last couple of years and the grain appears to be slightly courser and wore a bit quicker than I was anticipating. I belive Mountney send out their wheels to be finished by people who take a batch home and finish them-no issue with this as I'm sure they have a quality control check although I have noticed that the wheels with Polished spokes have a few light scratches on them even when new.
Posted Image
Posted Image
11" is a nice size as the dials are still clearly visible (note that the bolt fairy appears to have nicked a bolt)

Then finally I replaced the Mountney a couple of days ago with this Momo, I was after something that wasn't too retro like most wheels available where they look like they belong in the sixties nor did I want some of the modern designs which are not only larger than I wanted but also in my opinion a bit rank so I settled on this 280mm (just under 11") Momo Team wheel, I can't belive I haven't seen these in more Minis because I think they're great, I wanted something small-ish as I am tall so wanted leg-rom, I wanted to see all the dials clearly and I wanted something that was not only well-made but not too chavvy but a little bit 'yesteryear' without being too classic and I think this ticks all the boxes, you can get them in a 300mm version as well. I bought this one secondhand off ebay where they pop up quite regularly. OMP also do a 300mm leather or Vinyl wheel. The bonus with this is that because Momo use a smaller PCD hub bolt measurement than Mountney I can now see my battery/oil light.

This pic is realistic in terms of perspective and how my eyes actually see the wheel against the dials.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This pic shows the scale of it better than the other two I think-it really is a dinky little wheel:
Posted Image

#92 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

My beloved Motolita. This 20yrs old wheel follows me each mini i get..like a driving licence lol, i can change a car but the steering wheel is still the same..lol

Posted Image

#93 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

any help identifying this steering wheel would be helpful
plan to re cover it....in red tennis racket tape ;) and possibly spary the chrome bits black.
give it a nice sand blast first

Attached File  DSC_0345.JPG   891.27K   19 downloads

and yes the dinosaw pillow is mine..its damn comfy :lol:

#94 sandro_f

sandro_f

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

any help identifying this steering wheel would be helpful
plan to re cover it....in red tennis racket tape ;) and possibly spary the chrome bits black.
give it a nice sand blast first

Attached File  DSC_0345.JPG   891.27K   19 downloads

and yes the dinosaw pillow is mine..its damn comfy :lol:

It's a Springalex

#95 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

thankyou

is that a rare type as its the first type like this that i have seen around?

#96 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

Its quite similar to the one fitted to the innocenti coopers, now i dont remeber the name.

#97 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

well from looking on a site selling these and also from a catalogue i was kindly sent by sandro it is a springalex

#98 Robbie

Robbie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Renegade Mini Fun Club!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Here's mine:

Attached File  IMG_3316.JPG   2.9MB   18 downloads

Got £35 knocked off it at a show because of a few tiny dents on it!
Interior looks better now I've fitted a wooden dash wooden dash.

#99 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

Ive just bought a new one recently and have also added an NRG quick release boss so I can detatch the wheel as an extra security feature!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#100 flameboy506

flameboy506

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

reali random question bout how to you fit and change them because i cnt seem to work it out sorry i am only 17 and its my 1st car and 1st mini, if someone could help me i would very much appreciate it thank you

by the way:
its a 1985 mini city e

#101 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

reali random question bout how to you fit and change them because i cnt seem to work it out sorry i am only 17 and its my 1st car and 1st mini, if someone could help me i would very much appreciate it thank you

by the way:
its a 1985 mini city e

theres a big nut holding the steering wheel on to the column...remove the centre of the steering wheel and undo this then pull steering wheel of.
fix new steering wheel (with correct wheel boss on) then do nut up..making sure the cars wheels are centered making the steering wheel centered....jobs a good'un

#102 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hi all, could anyone point me in the direction of a boss kit for a Mountney? I need it to be as cheap as possible really. Thanks!

#103 nordicmini

nordicmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

just one of the few i have

http://i700.photobuc.../Picture075.jpg

#104 Figs122uk

Figs122uk

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

and my new one :)

Posted Image

#105 minicitylove

minicitylove

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Local Club: Free Agent

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

Attached File  000_0012.JPG   698.67K   11 downloadsheres mine!!

Edited by minicitylove, 12 September 2009 - 02:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users