taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

Rover Mini Copoer

Right I'm a little confused (story of my life) and I could do with a definite answer one way or the other.

Anyway for years now I've been using NGK BPR6ES Spark Plugs (generally from Halfords as their reasonably priced and their guide book tells me to use the copper core type with either '071' or '710' stamped on the cardboard packaging) on my 1990 Mainstream Mini Cooper (I've changed them every 12,000 miles to ensure I get no problems), but I just wonder now if I've been using the correct type of plug?

My Mini came with electronic ignition as standard and so I assume the 'R' (in BPR6ES) stands for resister and is required for radio suppression when electronic ignition is used?

But looking at my original owner's handbook: -

Posted Image

Rover originally recommended spark plug type 'GSP 4362' (probably Unipart Surefire plugs?) and so what's confusing me is the pdf shop list on Somerford Minis claims that these plugs were of the non-suppressed type and that the NGK alternative is BP6ES? However, Somerford claims that these are suitable for 1959-1986 Mini models only (look up Spark Plugs items 30-32): -

http://www.somerford...tter-Models.pdf

But they list the suppressed type for 1990-94 carb models as 'GSP4482' (under original fitment) and then NGK 'BPR6ES' as the alternative.

So who is right? Did Rover quote the wrong type of spark plugs on that general data guide?

When looking up Spark Plugs under fuel injection models, Somerford Minis quotes: -

http://www.somerford...cs-Injectio.pdf

Somerford Mini advices that cars fitted with electronic ignition and fuel injection should always use suppressed spark plugs (otherwise known as resister plugs), which significantly cut down the amount of interference generated by the ignition system. The correct operation of engine electronic control units and electronic ignition modules could otherwise be affected.

So I assume that 'BPR6ES' is the correct plug for me after all?

Edited by taffy1967, 18 January 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#2 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

Not sure whos right but your going just by Somerfords against your manual, do you know what other companies recommend just as a comparsion?

Also be interesting to know where Halfords get their data from?

I say if it aint broke dont fix it, especially after this amount of time during ownership, unless you've been doing 10mpg for the last few years :proud:

Also my manual shows GSP 4462 plugs for a '93 1275 non cooper carb hif38 if that makes any difference, I cant see why its a different plug even though yours was a diffferent Hif? I mean its only a spark =]

#3 nicksuth

nicksuth

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

My 98 MPi OH say NGK BPR6E

[attachment=78349:ngk_sym.gif]

Any help????

#4 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for replying and either way (going by the Somerford information) it seems that BPR6ES would be the right plug for your Mini. Plus we've both got the same type of electronic ignition system with a similar type of carburettor, so it does look like Rover got it a bit wrong on my owner's manual.

Either way my Minis gone well past 98,000 miles in the 15 years I've owned it, it still runs very well and is still economic to use so long as it's not being hammered all over the place.

So I'll stick with those NGK's then.

:proud:

#5 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

FWIW in practical experience..i have found the resistive plugs seem to work better on the electronic ignition and injection minis... non resistive in points based systems...

#6 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

My 98 MPi OH say NGK BPR6E

[attachment=78349:ngk_sym.gif]

Any help????

Thanks, it looks like Somerford recommends NGK 'BPR6EVG' (also suppressed types) for Twin-Points though?

#7 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

FWIW in practical experience..i have found the resistive plugs seem to work better on the electronic ignition and injection minis... non resistive in points based systems...

Thanks, that confirms things too.

#8 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

There's a PDF on the NGK site that says recommended is BPR6E, with a secondary one of BPR6ES - so looks right?? - I have a 1996 spi which I got BPR6ES to fit next sat. by the way, what size spark plug socket do you use for these?

#9 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, it looks like Somerford recommends NGK 'BPR6EVG' (also suppressed types) for Twin-Points though?

Basically the same plug as a BPR6E - the 'VG' is a v groove in the end... noticable difference in a mini? - debatable... noticable cost diference? - probable!

#10 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

i use BPR6ES in my spi

#11 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

There's a PDF on the NGK site that says recommended is BPR6E, with a secondary one of BPR6ES - so looks right?? - I have a 1996 spi which I got BPR6ES to fit next sat. by the way, what size spark plug socket do you use for these?

14mm?

#12 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

yep 14mm :proud:

#13 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

the 'VG' is a v groove in the end... noticable difference in a mini? - debatable... noticable cost diference? - probable!

Sounds like brilliant pub ammo, not that I would use it........

#14 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

Not sure whos right but your going just by Somerfords against your manual, do you know what other companies recommend just as a comparsion?

Well here's a few alternatives from Mini Spares: -

BP6ES link.

BPR6ES link.

BP6EV link

BPR6EVG link.

#15 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

Oh well Mini Spares site seems to be having problems at the moment, but Moss seem to confirm them as being BPR6ES too for 1275cc Cooper Carb & TBI: -

Moss link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users