#1 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

A couple of queries folks. Is my rear subframe early (pre 76) type or late (post 76) type? Here's a couple of pics of the mounting points and bushes.

It's early isn't it?

Also, I have a mechanical water temp guage fitted. Does anyone know if this should have a grommet/washer where the capillary tube nut screws over the adapter in the cylinder head. because mine leaks a bit.
The same type of washer as you get where the oil pressure pipe screws over the T-piece perhaps?

Attached Files

#2 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

thats gotta be an early frame mate, i havent actually seen an early one but its completely different to all of the ones ive worked on

as for the temp guage, if its a 'TIM' one ask flappyplasticbits, he's got the same guage

#3 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

The first pic is the rear of the rear subframe, taken from the drivers (off) side

This second pic is of the front of the rear sub, taken from passenger (near) side.

Early or late? Need to know because gonna do poly bushes at the rear.

Attached Files

#4 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:21 PM

thats gotta be an early frame mate, i havent actually seen an early one but its completely different to all of the ones ive worked on

as for the temp guage, if its a 'TIM' one ask flappyplasticbits, he's got the same guage

cheers

The guage is smiths

Attached Files

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:49 PM

I'd say it was early as the rear mounts have different length bolts on either side of what looks like the smaller bushes. What is the age of the car, as the mounts changed when they also went rubber mount on the front 1976 on.

#6 pdaykin

pdaykin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:38 AM

Its an early subframe.

Subframes are actually the same regardless of age, only the exhaust hanger differed.

The bits you are photographing are the trunions. The later ones were larger and used the same length bolt on both sides. As far as I'm aware, they are completely interchangable

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:20 AM

As above, there's not difference between the rear subframes from 1959 to the late 90's when they had the more modern exhaust hangers added... other than that exactly the same.

The bushes are determined by the type of mounts which are used, and only those on the front even then.. If the mount round the trunion has the same depth of hole top and bottom then the later bushes are used. If they are of different depths ( ie exactly the same as the mount which holds up the rear of the subframe ) then it's the earlier ones which are used.

For reference, you have the later ones fitted.

#8 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

Ta everybody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users