5 replies to this topic

#1 gurkatank

gurkatank

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

as some of you may know im having probs with corrosion on my scuttle lip (the bit concealed by the windscreen rubber) :ohno: . i need to get to the inside of it but access is hard because of the top dash rail. does anyone know how to remove this and can you do it without removing the dash? if the dash has to be removed also (mpi cooper with factory wooden dash) how do you go about this?

#2 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:55 AM

Its easy if you are taking out the screen. Take the screen out FIRST. Then, there are 3 bolts holding it in. 1 either end and one in the centre. It just lifts upwards about an inch and its out.
If you AINT taking out the creen, then tin-snips are involved, as well as a lot of swearing......

#3 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

Do you reckon that I could take my top dash rail out without taking the screen out?

Thnx

#4 gurkatank

gurkatank

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

my screen is out and all i can see are clips which appear to be holding the fabric to the rail, theres no screws. it feels as though its held in underneath. when you say just remove three bolts are you refering to the wooden dash or the black rail on top of it because its the rail i need to remove :erm:

#5 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:23 AM

Underneath the top dash rail are 3 studs welded to the rail. These run through a pressed steel pice which appears to be the structure of the shell of the car. There is one central (behind the ashtray) and 1 either end. Undo the nut on each of these, then lift the whole rail off. You will need to pull any fixings off the fabric along the bottom.
You can take it out with the screen in, apparently. I couldnt. I hacked it up into little pieces then mangled it some more with a set of mole grips. Then I ripped my hands apart and bent the part attatched to the shell. THEN I got the dash rail off.
Take the screen out if you can :wink:

NB; remember that the dash rail is a foam pad GLUED TO A STEEL BACKING.
The whole lot has to come out as one ideally.

#6 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

to access the three screws Matt is referring to you will need to remove any sort of ful width dashboard.

And definitely take the screen out, its near impossible with it in. The screen out is an easy job, and putting it back isn't much harder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users