The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi guys!

Engine 1275 Spi

Last Thursday morning I started the mini... All was normal until i let go of the key to stop turning the engine over as it had fired. It died. I tried to start the mini again and it wouldn't even turn over.... It still doesn't.

Steve has been to look at it and still have no idea what the problem is.

I've spent the last 2 nights testing areas of the car.

Now here is the list of the things that don't work:
- Indicators
- Radio
- Interior Light
- Alarm/Immobiliser warning LED
- Alarm/Immobiliser
- Brake test light
- Horn

Things that do work:
- Petrol pump
- Front lights (side, main, full)
- Heater blower
- Rear Fog lamp
- Tail lights
- Brake lights
- 3 clock dash (Pertrol guage, Battery light, main beam light)
- Cigerette Lighter

There is 12Vs running to both the alternator and starter motor so rules out a battery problem
All the fuses are fine in the 24 fuse box
All wires and conections have been checked and are fine

The things that don't work run independantly to the ignition switch and all act like a blown fuse (which isn't possible as all are okay and the wiring behind the box is okay too)

Haynes can be very confusing as it goes on about in line fuses and main fuses.... Is there more fuses than the 24 on the bulk head? If so where?

Is it a relay? (main black one that holds 4, that controls the engine, fuel, starter and one other) or a yellow block relay?

I'm so confused about the problem and getting very frustrated with the car...

What is causing the problem?

Some one pleaase help!!

Roo

Edited by Roo, 27 January 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#2 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

roo
just had a read of my haynes, double check fuse 10 does all the things that arnt working

#3 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

roo when i had my electrical gremlins on my spi,and even though the fuses were fine,and the wiring was o.k,i sill replaced the fuse box as a matter of course,it worked for me,and at £10,would be a cheap fix,even if it just narrow your search down,matt and his dad have loads in stock at the mo

#4 Roo

Roo

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

all fuses are fine kirk... all checked for connection an resistance...

Just had a thought...

Where do these independantly run parts get their power from? as the car started could it have dislodge a cable? a break in the power supply?

battery is obviously connected to starter and alternator.. where do these get their power from?

Edited by Roo, 27 January 2009 - 08:40 PM.

#5 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

Roo did you replace that fuse that was blown yesterday?

#6 Roo

Roo

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

Roo did you replace that fuse that was blown yesterday?

yesh.. found when i removed it and switched ignition on it was the cigerette lighter fuse steve had put in...

what part of the car do the independantly run electrics get their power from? this is the only thing i can think it would be now. I need to check that area before i go further into the electtrics...

#7 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

Id remove all the connections from the starter, clean them up and make sure that none of them are broken. My friends spi did exactly what yours did and it was down to a dodgy wire from the starter power feed.

#8 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

having a look at the wiring diagram there could be a line fuse, have a look around for one

#9 Roo

Roo

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

having a look at the wiring diagram there could be a line fuse, have a look around for one

yeah i have looked everywhere... i have no idea where any other fuse is accept the 24 in the fuse box

#10 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

where have you looked? just reading the haynes it comes up with a few places to look

#11 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

Check under the scuttle panel where youre washer jets are ime sure theres one under there

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

There are no inline fuses in the late looms with the 24 way fuse box in the engine bay. Thats why there is a 24 way fuse box >_<

Check the fuse links. These look just like a piece of wire and are what the ring terminals are crimped to where they connect onto the starter. They are protected by some rubber coated fibreglass sleaving. There are two, one on the engine loom and one on the boddy loom, they are the two other wires on the starter 'battery terminal, other than the battery lead.

One thing to check is all the fuses themselves. I had troubles myself and it turned out that the fuses had corossion on them as a result of the fuse box cover being missing. Pull all the fuses in and out a few times and see if that helps.

#13 Roo

Roo

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

There are no inline fuses in the late looms with the 24 way fuse box in the engine bay. Thats why there is a 24 way fuse box :cry:

Check the fuse links. These look just like a piece of wire and are what the ring terminals are crimped to where they connect onto the starter. They are protected by some rubber coated fibreglass sleaving. There are two, one on the engine loom and one on the boddy loom, they are the two other wires on the starter 'battery terminal, other than the battery lead.

One thing to check is all the fuses themselves. I had troubles myself and it turned out that the fuses had corossion on them as a result of the fuse box cover being missing. Pull all the fuses in and out a few times and see if that helps.

Thanks sproket!!

I had all the fuses out yesterday and have tested them all for a resistance etc... mst of them have been in and out of the fuse box last 3 days.

The connections to the starter also look minging so i'll clean those up and see what that does.

Been wondering where the fused links were.... grrr

#14 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Roo I know you told me some diagrams to look at but i forgot, and didn't keep your text.

I have looked in my Haynes for minis post Oct 1996 and it is suggesteing there is an engine bay fusebox with 4 fuses, one of those fuses supplies the 24 fuse fusebox for all the things you say aren't working.

Just gonna have food so will check back in a minute.

:cry:

#15 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

I have just read the Haynes again and it definately says there is a fuse box in the engine bay, and the illustration is showing it to be infront of the brake servo, but as yours is a flip front roo i guess it may have been moved.

If you are online can you let me know or grab some pics of the engine bay??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users