5 replies to this topic

#1 minifever

minifever

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

hey everyone im planning on doing a conversion but dont know were to start i know ill need an engine and the pro-motive subframe i have been looking on ebay for an egine but what year is the question does it matter what year are the newer engines harder to tune what kind of tuneing is involved i live in new york and never seen this ireally want to make this happen for the longest time i wanted a mini and now i have it and now see this its crazy kool man so can you guys please help hope to hear from you guys soon thanks for your time

Edited by minifever, 01 February 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#2 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies, MINI5280

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

Hello,
A good place for you to begin is to start using punctuation in your posts; all your questions ran together and it is very difficult to read. :thumbsup: I would suggest you look at Pro-Motive's site where they have a FAQ and section on which models of R1 engines you should be looking for.

Cheers

#3 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

iwouldrespondtoyourquestionsbuttheyallruntogether

hey everyone im planning on doing a conversion but dont know were to start i know ill need an engine and the pro-motive subframe i have been looking on ebay for an egine but what year is the question does it matter what year are the newer engines harder to tune what kind of tuneing is involved i live in new york and never seen this ireally want to make this happen for the longest time i wanted a mini and now i have it and now see this its crazy kool man so can you guys please help hope to hear from you guys soon thanks for your time

#4 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

harsh guys, very harsh....

#5 campr

campr

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: Mini club zuid holland

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

As far as I know all engines up to the 2002/2003 model use carbs. Carbs are ok, but you will need to re-jet for a car application of the engine.

From 2002 onwards all R1s are injection, although for the 2007 model they have gone back to 4 valves per cylinder, instead of the usual 5 valves per cylinder up to 2007.

One disadvantage of the R1s is that they use an EXUP valve, which closes/opens the exhaust to generate some more back pressure at low revs. I'm sure which models have this, but the 2002/2003 model has it.

I'm hoping to keep exup in my set-up, but have no idea where to mount it.

I've gone for the west-garages kit and the 2002/2003 model. The 2004> models have 180-bhp, the 2002/2003 and before have around 150bhp.

So the best model to go for? The 2004-2006 model, if you have the cash.

I'm not sure what fits into the Pro-motive frame though.

Anyways, you should really go for the 2009 R1 engine ;-)
Youtube cross planar crankshaft

Rob

Edited by campr, 14 February 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#6 JR.

JR.

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

As far as I know all engines up to the 2002/2003 model use carbs. Carbs are ok, but you will need to re-jet for a car application of the engine.

From 2002 onwards all R1s are injection, although for the 2007 model they have gone back to 4 valves per cylinder, instead of the usual 5 valves per cylinder up to 2007.

One disadvantage of the R1s is that they use an EXUP valve, which closes/opens the exhaust to generate some more back pressure at low revs. I'm sure which models have this, but the 2002/2003 model has it.

I'm hoping to keep exup in my set-up, but have no idea where to mount it.

I've gone for the west-garages kit and the 2002/2003 model. The 2004> models have 180-bhp, the 2002/2003 and before have around 150bhp.

So the best model to go for? The 2004-2006 model, if you have the cash.

I'm not sure what fits into the Pro-motive frame though.

Anyways, you should really go for the 2009 R1 engine ;-)
Youtube cross planar crankshaft

Rob

FYI from the Pro-Motive site:-
The forth generation was launched in 2004 (5VY) this is a totally new engine that is larger than the previous models, so unfortunately will not fit in our kits. This isn't a problem though as there are hundreds of low mileage 5PW, 5JJ and 4XV engines around. Power is now up to 172bhp.

The latest engine launched in 2007 (4C8) is all new and changes from the 20 valve Genesis unit to a 16 valve setup. The same applies to this engine as the 5VY and makes it unsuitable for our kit. Power is now 180bhp, throttle is fly by wire, and it's now fitted with YCC-I (Yamaha Chip Control Intake) which controls the throttle body trumpets causing them to squeeze up when revs rise above 10,400rpm

Edited by JR., 02 April 2009 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users