#16 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

Not quite sure where to put this so please be kind.
I've got a classic Mini. 1275cc. The gearbox has nearly had it, and I was thinking, that this was a good excuse to swap my engine for a bigger one. Last night I was looking for decent engines that would fit. Preferrably turboengines, and then I thought of the new Mini's engine.
Is it possible to fit a BMW MINI Cooper S engine in a classic Mini, and still keep the standard length of the car?
Has anybody done this?

Appreciate it.

Forget the friendly banter above - its not aimed at you.

Not sure what costs this would rack up, engine wont be cheap???

I'm guessing it'll be your first conversion so would advise to stick with tried n tested methods, help is always at hand as you will need it, also cost-wise (biggest factor) will be kept to a reasonable sum as parts for the conversion will be available and you can also buy 2nd hand gear from classifieds here from people with conversions who are selling up etc.

This aint easy so really you want to make as easier as possible.

Read through some of the engine conversions projects here and see what takes your fancy?

#17 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

the point i was trying to make is dont go making rash un - backed up comments,

Anyways, you say 280bhp from a k-series? very impressive imo, but how much has that cost to do, i bet if you weight up every little cost its cheaper to put a lohen Mini cooper s in the car..........

But when it comes to the B16 they are a brilliant engine, quite tuneable and quick from factory, so that would be a good alternative,

But to be honest there isnt very many 1.6's that come from the factory with 160bhp+ charged or not charged, for a factory engine thats alot of horseys for a 1.6.

Also ive heard its posible to take the Lohen mini cooper s engine past 280bhp, but it doesnt often get done because the bini cant handel the power!

#18 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: Oldham and Distrcit Mini Club

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

Wheres your backup for your comments then?Its quiet easy to get the S to over 240bhp yes I agree but as with most cars it puts extra strain on other engine parts, mainly in the MINI's case the gearbox which have been known to have a few problems with them from new, even with std cars.

I personally would choose an K-series pushing out 280bhp over an S with the same power anyday, mainy because of fuel consumption, the S isnt an economical car at all cause your constantly on boost all the time and it uses even more when your running an uprated pulley.

#19 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

What, like I'm an idiot? Maybe I didn't quantify my statement, but it can be sustantiated.

Anyways, you say 280bhp from a k-series? very impressive imo, but how much has that cost to do, i bet if you weight up every little cost its cheaper to put a lohen Mini cooper s in the car..........

Actually it uses a standard bottom end, so very cheap actually.

#20 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

What, like I'm an idiot? Maybe I didn't quantify my statement, but it can be sustantiated.

Actually it uses a standard bottom end, so very cheap actually.

Ok then i dont belive for one second that anyone is getting 280bhp from a k-series without touching the bottom end when standard BHP is 118 lol.........

Oh and here you go - tuning a k series http://www.btinterne...ufo/kseries.htm

Edited by insamoufonyx, 16 February 2009 - 01:40 PM.

#21 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

But none of them have turbos, an NA 1400cc motor would have to be of F1 spec to make 200bhp/litre.

But with a turbo, and relitively low rpm, it is perfectly feasable.

#22 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

still dont see 280bhp coming from a k-series with maximum top end work and turbo'd to be honest.....

#23 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

jeez - fit an r1 and be done with it !!!! :)

I still think there is big gains to be had in BMW MINI engines - they go for peanuts on flea-buy, and with modest expense 300BHP+ is achievable - we've seen it and it sounded and looked fantastic. Most of the mods to achieve it were simple bolt-ons and some very careful mapping.

why wont someone just answer the simple questions like - will it fit, how much more complicated than a honda or vauxhall conversion will it be, how much more / less reliable will it be?

dont just start the 'BMW minis are cack' childishness again, look at it for its potential - lets face it, in a few years there will be one hell of a lot of BINI engines available, and considerably fewer A series, B16's B18's and red-tops.

#24 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

why wont someone just answer the simple questions like - will it fit, how much more complicated than a honda or vauxhall conversion will it be, how much more / less reliable will it be?

because no-one's bothered doing it as there are better engines out there to begin with, lol.

how much power is evolution putting out of his K series wil? that thing seemed to shift pretty well at avon last year.

#25 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

because no-one's bothered doing it as there are better engines out there to begin with, lol.

Exactly.

how much power is evolution putting out of his K series wil? that thing seemed to shift pretty well at avon last year.

it's 280 to 300 iirc, and it has a standard bottom and and he uses it daily.

#26 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

Is it possible to fit a BMW MINI Cooper S engine in a classic Mini, and still keep the standard length of the car?

much better engines out there to use to be honest. have a rep for being poorly designed.

#27 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

People people people your gonna scare the OP off!! :P

I agree with Roofless that regardless of the engine how much more work is needed, how much more complicated than honda/vauxhall, even R1 in the rear??

Somebody somewhere will always try new stuff and push the boundaries, lets face it a Bini in a mini will happen, regardless of.

Of course there are better engines out there!! lol But that doesn't stop folk from trying new things, hence here we are with choices and kits for k-series, honda, vauxhall and r1 that people can buy and put in themselves.

Bini would be a natural choice for someone contemplating this thats new to engine conversions, they may well end up going for something like I suggested thats been tried n tested.

Still would be nice to get peoples input into if/how/etc for it to work?

Variety engine conversions for a mini - bring it on!!!

:lol:

#28 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

Exactly.

it's 280 to 300 iirc, and it has a standard bottom and and he uses it daily.

As i said before there is no way that he is running around 300bhp from a k-series, if you can prove me wrong fair enough, but unit i see a RR graph i dont belive it for one second.

People people people your gonna scare the OP off!! :ermm:

I agree with Roofless that regardless of the engine how much more work is needed, how much more complicated than honda/vauxhall, even R1 in the rear??

Somebody somewhere will always try new stuff and push the boundaries, lets face it a Bini in a mini will happen, regardless of.

Of course there are better engines out there!! lol But that doesn't stop folk from trying new things, hence here we are with choices and kits for k-series, honda, vauxhall and r1 that people can buy and put in themselves.

Bini would be a natural choice for someone contemplating this thats new to engine conversions, they may well end up going for something like I suggested thats been tried n tested.

Still would be nice to get peoples input into if/how/etc for it to work?

Variety engine conversions for a mini - bring it on!!!

:thumbsup:

As said above there is always room for new ideas, new conversions, if people did this everytime someone sujested it there wouldnt be R1, hyabusa minis, Vtec or VVT..........

Without someone trying somthing new None of thouse conversions would have happend,

And to be honest i think somthing new is better than somthing someones already done.

#29 Mini1990

Mini1990

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Wow, calm down guys.
I was just asking, 'cause it would be kinda cool to have a MINI engine in a Mini.
I would like to have an engine conversion, and I was thinking of the Honda D-series engine. I've read that you don't need to modify the cars body for this. I cannot make the car longer, wider, or anything. The Norwegian authorities are really *rec of the tum* about stuff, and it will not be street legal. I could of course, just drive it without licenceplates.. We have like testplates which is valid for one day, and you can get it for any car, as long as it's drivable, but still. It would cost me £23 a day.

If I swap engines, I will most likely have to pay something in the lines of £25 000 -£30 000 to get it street legal. That's just too much.
Maybe turbocharging the stock engine is the easiest way to go.

#30 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

..the neverending fight beetween mini and bini owners..lol
by the way i dont think a bini cooper s engine modded to 300bhp can last more than 3k miles..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users