#1 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hello People!
Have finally got the engine and gearbox back in my 1971 mk3 but now cannot get first gear. Its a fully rebuilt remote box and I can select and drive in all the other gears fine. It almost seems as though the stick won't quite move far enough to get into first so am wondering if it could be a problem with the remote or stick which haven't been rebuilt but did work fine before??? Any suggestions would be great?? Cheers......

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:54 AM

Because of the number of joints in the remote gearchange configuration it only take a little missalignement for it not to work correctly. Unfortunately it may have to be an engine box out, put the remote unit on with the gearbox out of the car and then adjust the linkages until all gears are selectable. The one I suspect most is the ball and socket at the top rear of the gearbox ( below )

Edited by GuessWorks, 22 August 2005 - 08:55 AM.

#3 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:59 AM

Great! Cheers. Have had a look and reckon I should be able to get to it quite easily by removing the carb and fuel pump. To adjust should I just pull the whole joint off and then keep trying it in different positions and or is there a more systematic approach??
Thanks in advance...

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:07 AM

There is a flat or grove for the bolt to go through which should possitivly locate the joint on each shaft, wear/age may allow this to be a little more flexible in the location of the joint, but yeh, trial and error I'm afraid

Edited by GuessWorks, 23 August 2005 - 07:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users