#1 Cynic640

Cynic640

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:36 AM

Hello,

Just out of interest, has anyone ever fitted a Nitrous Kit to their Mini?

I'm thinking about it as a trackday toy, and want to find out about the practicality, cost and difficulty in doing this.

Any help would be greatly apreciated....

Cheers,

Will

#2 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:48 AM

I haven't fitted one to a mini but I have done to an old car of mine. The installation for a basic nitrous kit is very simple!

With myself and a friend it took an afternoon from start to finish!

Basically you bolt the bottle into a suitable location (usually in the boot) run the pipe from the bottle to the inlet manifold. The kit I used (nitrous express) had a single wet injector. Take a feed from your fuel line into a solenoid controlled valve, the feed from the nitrous bottle to the other solenoid controlled valve the outlet pipe from each one to the injector (it also mixes the two) and mount the injector firing into you inlet manifold (on my old car this was after the air filter basically used a short length of drainpipe).

You then wire a switch to arm it, a microswitch on your throttle linkage to fire it on what (this opens the two solenoids) and hey presto you off and running very swiftly! :grin:

Just don't go mad!! I would suggest 50Bhp jets at the most! Unless your uprating the internals! :nugget: :grin:

#3 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

Make sure you have the spare money to buy a new engine.

#4 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

Often a this is peoples view :P

Your engine should be fine unless you go over the top! The old nitrous systems used to be very lairy because they just injected nitrous and you had to change the timing to add more fuel! If you forgot, you'd run ridiculously lean and bang! no engine.

The newer systems use fuel injected with the gas to stop this from happening. So you don't need to adjust anything just fit and go! :grin: In a lot of cases the inlet charge is so much cooler it actually reduces the wear on you engine compared to normal!

The only thing you need to remember is to show it some respect! Don't go thinking you can dump the throttle at 1200rpm without straining the engine :dontgetit: you need to allow the engine to at least get moving before you start adding all the extra power.

Also don't forget to fully tighten any pipes before opening the bottle outlet! Nitrous gas is VERY cold!!! And will give you a cold burn!! I can tell you it really stings and nothing soothes it! Cold water hurts warm water hurts not doing anything hurts! It's a bit of a bummer! :nugget:

#5 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

I plan to build a kit into my 1275 engine, for trackday and drag race use only, of course... :-S
Was thinking of running two 20bhp jets, one on each side of the inlet manifold to try to get the best distribution possible with the mini inlet manifold!

Dave

#6 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

You can get much more complex systems to the extent of injecting on a per cylinder basis and having a staggered start up period for the gas injection aswell as loads of other much more complex control electronics.

Personally I think for fast road/occasional track use at most you'll want a single injector with a bottle warmer. (being a gas as soon as you start to discharge the bottle it'll get colder and therefore the pressure will drop thus losing power the heater will stop this) two injector won't make a massive difference to be honest. The single jet I had was very well dispersed (if you fired it into the air you got a very good idea). :grin: :grin:

#7 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

all the info youll need:

http://www.noswizard.com/

(the only company that adrian flux will insure)

ignore people with the "your engine will get knackered" comments. its possible but only if it is installed wrong or abused in use.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

Yea, I take the view that if you have a engine knocking out 100bhp, but all the components are able to take 150bhp then that extra 50bhp of NOS isn't going to knacker the engine.

#9 ryan69

ryan69

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:13 PM

Also your gearbox has got to be in good nick too..

#10 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

NOS is better for straight line driving than track. Mate of mine had a kit fitted and what a difference it made!

#11 Cynic640

Cynic640

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

Nice one, thanks for the tips!

I'm not too worried about the engine / box, because it cost me under £100 out of a crashed MG Metro. As long as it doesn't kill the Nitrous Kit when the engine goes bang then i'll be : )

Have been looking at some kits online, and all things considered, Minispeed's kit looks reasonable. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

can't wait to able to go fast on the straights as well as the corners!!

Will

#12 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

oh and its N2O, NOS is a brandname (I blame "the fast and the furious" for that).

#13 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:32 PM

On a standard engine the most you can add is 50% of your engine power
(i have not done a mini , only a focus)
but adding 50% in one lump is a lot for the engine internals , better to fit a 2 stage injection 25bhp + 25bhp , you add 25bhp with the what switch and then another 25bhp on a button .
there is no need to buy an expensive kit all the bits can be bought seperatly for about £100 all in
Do a search on: diy nitrous oxide injection
the site is run by Burgerman
I will post a link if i can find it (cant find much since new hard drive fitted :dontgetit: )

#14 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:40 PM

i have nitrous fitted it myself works well

#15 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members