#16 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Local Club: none at the moment

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

I'm too scared to help lol, just dont let me tighten anything up! I need a method of transport to get to yours first mate :P

Gearbox is at johns, got it there last fri, gonna take 3 weeks due to a backlog, no problem as i'd like to clean up the engine block ancilaries and engine bay anyway, then ive got to pay you to come put it all back together. Can't afford the 1380 from collin now, but still going ahead with putting a new cam / followers/ oil pump in it though, oh and the duplex timing chain i have.

well i can come and fetch u ,i don't think even you could brake anything just helping me turn it over .But i could be wrong.I am really missing my vice mate have you found anything?Didn't realise how much i used it until you broke it haha.It would be very helpful to have when i am stripping my hubs down ,hint hint .You heavy handed person.Please change your id to heavyhanded James so forum members can be warned of your failings.

If you want your wheel studs snapping off,heavy duty vice snapping in half ,bolts rounded off then heavyhanded James is your man.LOL

#17 LankyJames

LankyJames

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Heavy Handed Cluts Club

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

Mate, it comes in handy you know!

I was undo-ing the fly wheel casing with the tiniest of breaker bars about 3" long and not a cm in diameter, they're held down with loctite, and even they couldn't resist the POWAAAAH. haha.

#18 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Mate, it comes in handy you know!

I was undo-ing the fly wheel casing with the tiniest of breaker bars about 3" long and not a cm in diameter, they're held down with loctite, and even they couldn't resist the POWAAAAH. haha.

I just feel sorry for your girlfriend mate.LOL

#19 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

HI YA'LLL,,,,
am just about to start a 16v project. Seems there isn't alot of info on a good exhaust OR RATHER, i just haven't come across it yet!!!
.....Can anyone suggest a good exhaust system to keep a 16v hushed BUT, NOT TOOO hushed?

Canadrian

I can't really help you mate as i am learning all the vauxhall stuff as i go along

#20 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

Shell is very nearly stripped bare so should be able to get it turned over for the welding repairs that are needed.

Not too bad really from what i can see.Still has one of its original sills on and its in good condition but it will be coming off anyway .I will be fitting new heritage sills that i picked up last week as i want it to last for years.New heritage wings are going on,gonna kill me to cut them out for my wheels though.Best not slip at £80 quid each.The wings on it are pretty good but i have never been happy with the fit on the pasenger side and sods law i have found some rot on the flitch panel on the drivers side so it is easier to lose this wing aswell and repair it properly before replacing this wing also.

rear subframe bolts into the heel board just came straight out which was a releif.I havn't touched them since i got the car and was expecting them to snap but they didn't.I think i must be lucky to have such a good shell for its age.

I had the rear valance,boot hinge rail and closing panels done a few years ago.Cost a fortune from the local mini place and i felt really robbed,thats why nobody but me now repairs my cars.On the plus side this area will not need attention now.
more updates to follow

#21 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

Quick update.Yesterday got quite a lot done,rear subframe has been stripped and painted,bulk head box has been cut out and seem welded in,inner wings have been cut out and the allspeed frame is now sat in position.Had a bit of a job with the fitment of the subframe,seems to be a bit of a knack to getting it in .Can't see how i will get it in though without scratching the new paint that will be around the engine bay.

more welding to do today ,repair drivers flitch panel and replace under scuttle panels.Also will we welding up gear linkage hole.
hopefully then i can get it flipped over to strip the floors and change the sills.

will add some pics when i can find the usb lead for my camera

#22 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

right ,thought i would add some more pics.Car looks a bit bad at he moment but is actually progressing well.I stripped most of the old flaky underseal off all down the passenger side.Was going to take it to bare metal but most of the cars original paint was still on and in good condition.Figured if it had lasted 28 years it won't do it any harm to stay on there.The passenger side sill was original and in reasonable condition but cut it off anyway ,repaired a section of the front inner sill and then fitted the new heritage sill.i have found the lip which holds the a panel to have been repaired badly and suspect this is why i can't get the passenger door gap right. So i also cut down the flitch panel and will weld in a new repair section today.Hopefully the passenger side will be complete today and i can start the drivers side .This will be a little worse because it has had a wide sill fitted at some point in its life.Not a problem though as i have done dozens like this and i wan't the car back on narrow sills to help preserve it.Still having a few dilemmas over wheels and paint as i now find someone has painted there clubby the colour i was gonna use.So a rethink is in order.

also i am considering losing the sportspack arches and the side skirts will deffinately go as my kids climb on them and make them loose.

i have also bought new radius arms and brake back plates as well as the sc billet handbrake quadrants.Lots more parts to order yet ,but it will get there.
may have to stop at some point and finish one of my other projects.Then sell it to get some more funds.Already spent a fortune.

Attached File  001.JPG   460.92K   32 downloadsAttached File  002.JPG   474.54K   26 downloadsAttached File  003.JPG   470.56K   13 downloads[a
ttachment=82735:006.JPG]Attached File  023.JPG   465.15K   22 downloadsAttached File  024.JPG   454.62K   27 downloads

Attached Files

• Attached File  006.JPG   463.13K   16 downloads

#23 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

The passenger side is now repaired so i can start the drivers side tomorrow.I do still have to fit the new wing and a panel but won't be fitting these until i have the car in the right position.I dont want to damage them whilst repairing the drivers side.

just been in the garage and given todays progress a coat of etch primer.

pics added

Attached File  clubby1_003.JPG   429.3K   26 downloadsAttached File  clubby1_004.JPG   439.19K   26 downloads

#24 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

bit of an update,

well typical mini ,i found more work than expected so my time schedule has slipped slightly.Not a major problem really .

all the welding on the underside is now complete.So far i have replaced both of the flitch panels,changed both under scuttle corners,drivers scuttle corner,front inner sill sections,part of the drivers door step,fitted 2 new narrow heritage sills,one rear subframe closing panel,welded up the gear selector hole,mounted the lift bracket ,modified the bulkhead.
so i have been quite busy with all that.I cdidn't need to change some of it but i wan't it as solid as possible before spending good money on a nice paint job.

decided yesterday to remove all the sound deadening from the internal floors.Wow this was a pain,normally a little tap and it just breaks off.Not on this car,i had to use the heat gun on most of it which took ages,then cleaned all the floors and checked for any rust .Its all good and ready for painting.I have decided to stone chip the floors inside to give it a bit of added protection and it wont be seen under the new carpets anyway.I will however be painting over it to match the rest of the car.

after speaking to purple tom it seems the norm to move the handbrake lever back and shorten the handbrake cable.Now i think i have a mate who could do this but then thought to myself if i ever need to change the cable in the future i would have the same problem .So about an hour later i came up with a modified handbrake lever which works a treat and keeps the standard length cable.So thats anoher job out of the way.

today i am going to fit the doors back on so i can get the a panels in place and fit the new heritage wings.So in theory it should look more like a clubman again by the end of today.

Havn't been taking anymore pics,i should really but i seem to be on my own on this thread so didn't feel the need too.
I bet your all waiting to see it painted or with the vauxhall engine in aren't you!!.Please tell me you are ,i'm getting lonely.LOL.

#25 NudgerSS

NudgerSS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Stop waffling and get some bloody pictures up!!!! :ermm:

John

#26 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

We're here watching so get some pics up! I'll be watching this closely - I'll be starting on converting my own car later this year.

JR

#27 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

Stop waffling and get some bloody pictures up!!!! :ermm:

John

its not waffle,its progress.

tried to find your build thread but couldn't find it.Wanted some ideas

#28 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:36 AM

We're here watching so get some pics up! I'll be watching this closely - I'll be starting on converting my own car later this year.

JR

ok i will take some more tomorrow.

#29 NudgerSS

NudgerSS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

Well I've got my throttle bodies and they don't fit so i'm in the middle of doing some serious butchery on my bulkhead. Not what i had planned but needs must ;)

John

#30 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

Well I've got my throttle bodies and they don't fit so i'm in the middle of doing some serious butchery on my bulkhead. Not what i had planned but needs must ;)

John

oh dear!!.

my bro does a lot of banger racing and stock cars over the years and he has some mates who are great fabricators and are a whizz on throttle bodies,motorbike carbs,ignition systems etc so i may go and see one of them and see if they can help me sort this side of things out.One in particular builds awesome cars and roll cages and has a big workshop.Might just be an easier route for me ,because once i get the engine in i wan't it up and running pretty quick.Did i ever say that i am inpatient.LOL.If i need a part i jump in my car and go to p and l because i can't wait for the postman.

Kids are off for easter and wifey has things planned which may stop play for 2 weeks,bit of a pain but i will be in the garage at every opportunity.
really wan't to come over and see how far you have got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users