#16 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

Sorry!

Thats why David knows so much about the situation of bike engines in the front of mini's! :grin: I don't think he'll give in though!

#17 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

Ade,
Want to bet I won't give in have a look! I have joined the dark side!!

I haven't totally given up on the fwd mini though, but it's at the back of the queue now, it could go in the front but at the very least it would need struts and the steering rack moved unless you reverse the engine as in the yellow mini

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 30 May 2010 - 04:10 PM.

#18 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

David

Will you be ready for Castle Combe (Tee Hee!)

:gasp: :dontgetit:

#19 Rog

Rog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:00 PM

Dave (R1Mini),

Sorry to hear about trying to make it fit. I can lend you a sledge hammer if you think that might help. You say that it won't fit but by how much? Is it by mm or cm?

The R1 is a very compact unit with a shallow sump but would a dry sump or even made to measure down pipes help? Would even a different unit (Gixxer 1000) plus dry sump make any difference?

I know that MK Engineering have done a R1 IRS (i.e. no trailing arm, would that free up some space?), Rear Wheel (Chain)Drive Mini, maybe they have some ideas to make it fit. Turning it sideways to a Freelander (with Quaife ATB internals) diff. for example?

Rog

:wales:

Sorry. Had to put that in. I'm 'off' Flint.

#20 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:32 PM

Ade,
Want to bet I won't give in have a look! I have joined the dark side!!

I haven't totally given up on the fwd mini though, but it's at the back of the queue now, it could go in the front but at the very least it would need struts and the steering rack moved unless you reverse the engine as in the yellow mini

Cheers
David

Oh...... In that case I'll just shush then :nugget:

#21 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Local Club: Sasmog.co.uk

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

mmm :tongue: another Bike Engine Mini :rolleyes: lol

looks good

#22 Rog

Rog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

Here's a photo of the MK Engineering RWD IRS Mini.

Rog

Attached Files

#23 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:10 AM

Rog

The R1 is just about the smallest most compact superbike motor there is. The problem with a front install is the engine just about touches the front and back of the mini engine bay and its a very tall unit aswell so it's fairly easy to place the motor in the engine bay but it has very little movement possibilities to allow any sort of drive to the wheel.

The towers, front tie bar mountings and steering rack don't help either no matter which way you twist and turn with the motor something gets in the way.

After having the engine in everyway I would say the best solution would be to fit struts with a steering rack that mounts higher up this will clear some extra space just where it's needed

You could reverse the motor like the yellow mini piccie I attached but I don't have the facilities to make a revese box to correct the direction of drive. Quaife quoted something like £12,000 so that was out of the question the yellow mini I know uses a seriously cut down mini gearbox basically chain driving the pinion crownwheel

Cheers
David

#24 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:51 AM

Dave (R1Mini),

Rog

:wales:

Sorry. Had to put that in. I'm 'off' Flint.

Rog, whereabouts, I was off Flint aswell, Used to go to Flint High!!

Mark :wales:

#25 Rog

Rog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

Mark,

Me too. I left Flint High in '86. Been living over here for 12 years. Nice country, boring roads. Luckily I can drive to the 'Ring in 3,5 hours :gimme: and Zandvoort, Zolder,Assen and Spa are a little closer. I do miss Wales and her interesting roads though.

A question to R1Mini. Are you set on FWD? Because the RWD Mini in the photo is a nice piece of Kit and I think the price was in the region was 3,000 pounds. OK that's not a complete kit like Z Cars and but it was his first mini cage so the price might come down a bit as now he has the jigs for it. You might question if it's still a Mini though. Bill Sollis thinks Z Cars is still a Mini so it can't be far off. And if the the Quaife diff won't fit you could always flog it to the Radical boys.

Roger Bailey (off Flint)

#26 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:48 PM

Rog,

I'm on hold at the moment with FWD, I have cut the back out of my mini as per the picture and I will use the R1 and Quaife box for the rear. I would do the metalwork myself as I'm a fabricator/welder the way I look at it, I can buy a cage and a couple of hundred pounds worth of metal and bending, and put them together myself.

I have bought the Zcars, Fuel Tank, coolant pipes, gearlever cable, throttle assembly, front suspension alloy protecs complete, rear suspension alloy protecs, about 10 metres of various CDS tubing, safety devices cage, door bars, de dion axle components, brake discs, hubs for about 925 quid

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 30 May 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#27 F1 Mini

F1 Mini

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:08 PM

Roq ?

I didn't know that MK where doing a mini. Is there any web info around ? Do you have any more Pic's ? Like the double a arm set up......

#28 Rog

Rog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:17 AM

F1 Mini,

There are two MK's. One MK Sports Cars of the Indy fame and the other is MK Engineering "www.mkengineering.co.uk/start.htm". I think they are brothers who started up MK but have since split to do other things. MK Engineering for example have done XTR2 type cars, the GT1 and its improved version the GT-R which has VAG 1.8t power. He's since sold that on but the rear suspension setup you see in the photo is based on this.
Sorry about that. Now back to Mini stuff...

You can find more photos on http://www.freewebs....mini_index.html

Rog

Attached Files

#29 Rog

Rog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:16 AM

[QUOTE] I would do the metalwork myself as I'm a fabricator/welder the way I look at it, I can buy a cage and a couple of hundred pounds worth of metal and bending, and put them together myself.
:worship: : not sure if that's the right smilie, but we're not worthy.

R1mini - How much will the fuel tank hold? (Not that we'll be able to tank up the way the fuel price is going)!

This guy (http://www.t350.net/mini.htm) has done the conversion with a different fuel tank. No sure if what the advantages are, (foam filled maybe?) but it sure looks nicer.

Rog

#30 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Rog

The tank is 8 gallons so that's fine for me

I strengthened the floor with 2mm plate in all four corners and added the cage this weekend started modifying the back to suit the bike install, doesn't look much but it took about 15 hrs to do it!!

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 30 May 2010 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users