#16 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

I would go for Z or Pro, joint the happy family at Pro, and later maybe add a Z to the collection?

That's kind of my plan. Start off with a Pro-Motive conversion and then build a Z-Car's Monte Carlo hopefully at some point down the line. :)

AMEN!!

#17 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

I would go for the Miniexvo kit because of the transfer box.

The transfer box is the reason I contacted them about there kit, but I dont know of any chain driven kits sold so far that have actually snapped etc of course chains snap but has there been any?

The only problem I have is the electric reverse, I'm not sure an electric reverse would contain enough power as where I park I need to go uphill, and know of one other place I need to parallel park on a hill, my cars weight is factory its not stripped out or anything.

I even tried driving for a few days without reverse, planning out routes etc, couldn't do it, so need a reverse gear.

But speaking to pro-motive the other day I'm sure he said they were working on a reverse selector so essentially you would have 6 reverse gears, works off a second lever next to the main stick? Unless I heard that completely wrong? Would need to ask them again.

Dont think this selector would be cheap though, think he said around the grand mark? It can be added if you are already own the normal kit though.

If anyone is in doubt over the miniexvo kit, contact the guys there, they are extremely helpful, yes it costs more but its justified by the single fact no-one else offers a road kit that aint chain driven, its a unique transfer box made by them. They are also working on a new development transfer box that is lighter and smaller so does bring the price down a tadge, but its still being developed and may be ready for the summer? There prototype has covered quite a few miles now with zero breakdowns?

Either way lets face it, its all down to what you want from the car and how? But its good we got a choice to ponder.

:)

#18 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

Anyone know why the Miniexvo is almost twice the price? I worked out the extra bits on the promotive that i would want and it still came in £2000 lower.

Might be the wrong place for it but you guys seem to know about it here.

#19 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Anyone know why the Miniexvo is almost twice the price?

If anyone is in doubt over the miniexvo kit, contact the guys there, they are extremely helpful, yes it costs more but its justified by the single fact no-one else offers a road kit that aint chain driven, its a unique transfer box made by them. They are also working on a new development transfer box that is lighter and smaller so does bring the price down a tadge, but its still being developed and may be ready for the summer?

Its the transfer box mate, its made entirely by them just for the conversion, its not something you can just go buy anywhere and getting someone to build you one aint gonna be cheap, hence the above extra price.

So that means no chains, no lubing and no adjustments. Remember these chains are ALOT shorter than on a bike so not only are they working around the sprockets more due to the length but they are also working alot harder due to the overall vehicle weight aswell.

You can get a scotoiler etc setup but its just more work and maintenance, it will need to be maintained.

But with miniexvo transfer box this aint an issue as you dont use a chain.

I think Darren (pro-motive) said they were looking at making a transfer box themselves but with there reverse system sorted out now (through actual gears) they couldn't get the transfer box to work with it. So they will stick with the reverse setup.

Miniexvo albeit has a transfer box only uses an electric reverse, good for some but unfortunately not for me.

Both are brilliant kits for FWD R1 minis, so top marks to both.

:)

#20 AzMaN

AzMaN

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

man i wish i had 6k to spend on the miniexvo kit

#21 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

thanks for that info i did think it might be something to do with that didnt really realise at first still seams a lot more though to me.

#22 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

I have yet to see a mini exvo kit in the flesh, I have never even heard of anyone fitting a kit :dontgetit: . The boys at pro-mo suggested at one point that they looked at a cush drive as this seems to form the principle of the exvo drive mechanism, but dispelled it as there were little or no problems with their rig as it stood.

I still have a lot to learn about the drive mechanism on this kit - maybe if someone buys one and features it we'll learn more - but in my limited and biased opinion, the R1 is developed for a chain drive, it works astoundingly well with a chain drive, and handles the punishment extremely well - on a chain.

I would question whether anything other than a chain drive could be as reliable - thats a lot of power to lay down, and without a few cars to measure results on other than the exvo demo car I cant see the benefit?

a transfer box of that value and expense really would have to be bullet proof, becuase if it fails you've got a lot of expense and waiting times ahead of you.

I have never had a chain snap - regardless of the insane punishment I give it. I have had one single roller on a chain fail, it still maintained drive and motion, albeit a bit noisy, but 10 minutes and a free replacement from Phil had it sorted. I have since fitted a scott oiler and never had a chain issue since.

I wait to stand corrected, but I would need to see a few more exvo's kicking around before I could put the same level of trust and confidence in that conversion as phil and darren got from me in one afternoon.

PS, a scott oiler is idiot proof - even I can manage that - the lubricant level gets low, you fill it up - not exactly a strain. its even see-through so you can see exactly what level of lubricant you have left.
bear in mind, any conversion of this kind will need regular and tight mainteneance and inspection - they are delicate to say the least, but with careful monitoring, and attention to detail they will keep going.

Edited by roofless, 06 April 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#23 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

still seams a lot more though to me.

Its is alot more but its hard to put a price on just the transfer box as its made from scratch by them, but your getting a setup with no chains so no maintenance, and it also has a cush drive system aswell, all in all the extra money your paying is for more reliability for a R1 in a mini, they could've made it without the box like others have or even with the box but at half that price but thats more likely gonna be at a loss for them as this is engineered by them.

It might be worth enquiring with a few companies to see if they could make a transfer box for you and at what cost, I doubt you will get much change compared with paying the extra for the above kit.

Or you can go the chain setup - nothing wrong with that, just has to oiled, tensioned.

Putting a bike engine in a mini is demanding alot from the engine and running gear, these guys are just trying to make it a bit less demanding and alot more reliable, so I think the cost is justified.

>_<

I would need to see a few more exvo's kicking around before I could put the same level of trust and confidence in that conversion as phil and darren got from me in one afternoon.

The problem here is the price, people will go straight for other kits and overlook this one, its alot of money. Though saying that I dont think miniexvo has gone full out with advertising yet, this is a snip from an email from them:

"We have not started to push publicity yet until the new conversion is fully available (the prototype was in a car magazine (PPC) last year)"

On the new kit they are developing:

"At present we are working on an even better version of the R1 conversion. It has a number of advantages over the current design. The engine fits almost in the centre of the engine bay whilst also being lower. The transfer box is smaller and lighter and has the option to change ratios with relative ease. The really good news is that the new design is easier to manufacture so the price will also reduce"

For a drive-in-drive-out rough pricing on the newer kit:

"As a rough guide if you supplied a road going mini with a suitable R1 engine the cost of a new conversion with fitting is likely to be from £6,000 to £7,000 depending on the exact spec that you require (e.g. what diff, cooling, exhaust, if fuel system/lines are suitable etc)"

I dont think it was meant to be a competitive conversion kit, just an alternative. I reckon it will pick up, like anything new just needs someone with a wallet to walk in there and get the ball rolling.

:thumbsup:

Also they are hoping to take the prototype car to Le Mans again this year but it will have the newer version kit installed, and seeing as I'm going aswell I might try and get a ride in it there! :dontgetit:

#24 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

I contacted Quaife regarding a custom transfer box a few years ago and they said the price would ten grand at least to do a one off

Cheers
David

#25 Wozza

Wozza

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Blimey are you applying for a job there or something >_< and you told me i sucked up to palmer's :crazy: my god man your lips must be sore >_<

#26 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

Blimey are you applying for a job there or something >_< and you told me i sucked up to palmer's :thumbsup: my god man your lips must be sore >_<

Got some good emails from miniexvo regarding the conversion, still might be going pro-motive though, not sure.....

So my lips are still the same :crazy: Did you get that palmer bros tatoo in the end? :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users