7 replies to this topic

#1 minimadandproudofit

minimadandproudofit

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

So I have an old mini with ten inch wheels. I am having problems with exhaust grounding on speed bumps etc. I have hi-los fitted, and want to understand what the ride height should be, and where is it measured. Do minis with 12 inch wheels ride higher off the road than minis with ten inch wheels? I am measuring from the seam at the top of the sill to the ground, and the car looks to be at the right height, but still suffering grounding, more so with four up. Any advice appreciated!

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:10 PM

I don't have the figures in front of me. However, in the Haynes manual (for the early Minis) the ride height is always measured from the axle centerline up to the wheel arch. The back is higher than the front. This measurement method isn't affected by tire diameter.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

what sort of exhaust have you got... as it maybe as simple as that is hanging low.. but speed bumps are 10" wheeled minis worst enemy...

#4 minimadandproudofit

minimadandproudofit

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:25 PM

Well, I need to know what the ride height should be, and I can't find that out. I have a RC40 and maniflow LCB, and it does look as if it's hanging low, but all the mounts are like new and correctly fitted. Any ideas on what the ride height should be?

#5 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:07 PM

i measure my ride height from the ground to the sill seam line just under the door (you know, the bit thats usually covered with a plastic trim)

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

And by the magic of the TMF_CD :cheese:

ground clearance should 6 1/4" as standard unladen

Edited by GuessWorks, 23 August 2005 - 05:46 PM.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

Also, quick tip on exhausts, the better ones have a link pip with a kink in it.... when fitting, angle the kink upwards which then encourages the link pipe and the rear box(s) to sit higher into the tunnel and subframe, and puts a little less strain on the hangers, also use the correct hangers, and not the stoopid flexible laminate things...

Here's grotbags this is a single box center exit 1.3/4" pipe

Edited by GuessWorks, 23 August 2005 - 06:53 PM.

#8 minimadandproudofit

minimadandproudofit

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

Thanks a lot for that - very helpful. I will take a pic of my exhaust and post it - it is not like yours! I understand the link pipe with the kink in it - I mounted it so the kink was sideways if you know what I mean. I will have a good go at this over the weekend. In the meantime, I have just replaced the shocks, and took the opportunity to raise the ride height anyway. I have raised it by 1cm at the front and back. I will send you a pm. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users