#1 stirx

stirx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:25 PM

:gasp: basically, my dad and i want to remove my original arches, to check for rust / and fit new fron panel. I dont know how to get them off because theyre riverted on, and after everything, i want to put them back on again to cover with my chrome wheel arch covers ?!? anyone help? :dontgetit:

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:36 PM

you'll have to drill out the rivets if you want them off.

They can be bolted on at the front again because you can get to the back of the nut, but at the rear you'll have to either screw or rivet them back on

#3 austin68

austin68

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:36 PM

I would use a metal drill bit. Try 3-4mm first and see if the rivet shifts, they usually just pop out easily.

If the catch the bodywork hole drop a mm, or go up a size of you drill through and it stays put.

Bit like drilling a rusted screw, just easier.

#4 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:37 PM

How old is the car? Have you tried very gently pulling/prising them off? If you are worried about rust, then you may even be able to pull them off by hand. BE CAREFUL DOING THIS THO. If they are rivetted, there is a chance that the aluminium rivets may have corroded enough to be weak.

#5 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:51 PM

Aluminium generally is in good condition my 18yr old ones were as new! You'll need to drill then off i'm afraid, but bolts and screws will be hidden by your new chrome arches so all should be ok! But if u need to check for rust just check the other side. You may be able to get away with just drilling a few rivets on the front panel and changing the panel without fully removing the arches?
You need to fit that one new arch so it shouldn't be too bad, to change the front panel! Good luck!

#6 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:57 PM

here's my chrome arches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users