16 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:17 PM

Can someone shed some light on this... There was this random hose that didn't actually go anywhere and i just wondered what it actually did?

Posted Image

Cheers

#2 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:49 PM

I think that is overflow/pressure release from the float chamber,
stops the float chamber getting pressurised so fuel is drawn into the carb and not pushed.

At least thats all i can see it doing. :erm:

(anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong)

EDIT: Just realised its a HIFF, so im not sure if its still the same (i got a HS4)

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:56 PM

You'll find it connects to a pipe which goes round the bell housing and downwards... it's the fuel overflow, and whetever you do , don't block it, as it will create a vacuum in the floatchamber and pull too much fuel up the jet and completely flood your carb and engine !

#4 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

Well it was in the inner wing (radiator side) but wasn't attached to anything so i just wondered.... where would be the best place for the pipe to go?

Cheers guessworks and ed4ran

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

Basically downwards. It should connect to a copper pipe which runs as Guessworks describes. It needs to end below and quite far away from the exhaust manifold, as it's main purpose is to prevent any fuel overflow from causing a huge engine bay fire as it gets sprayed onto the hot manifold.

Hold on,

Just realised that you said it went into the inner wing on the rad side. That means it should be connected to a charcoal canister which should also be connected to the fuel tank and a purge system. Do you have the cannister?

Edited by Dan, 24 August 2005 - 06:31 PM.

#6 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

eeerrr... yeah, the one behind the block?

#7 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

you mean this thing

where the braided hose goes, next to the rad cap.

Posted Image

i always wondered what that was! :dontgetit:

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

No, that's an engine breather. Under no circumstances connect this to your fuel tank. A charcoal cannister is part of the emmisions control system employed on late carb and all injection vehicles. It captures any spilt fuel, or fuel vapour from the tank and engine and stores them until they can be burned off by the engine. It's a round, black plastic flask about 4" in diameter strapped under the near side (RHD) wing.

#9 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:09 PM

riiiight.... So should i just plug the hose back where is (sort of) found it.

#10 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:06 PM

black canister, :dontgetit:

Posted Image

#11 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:38 PM

ahaa, cheers for that!!!

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:58 PM

Now that's a helpful photo!

The one in the photo is an injection canister but hopefully you will have a carb version. The only difference is that the injection unit has an electronic purge valve in the engine bay, whereas yours will have a vacuum operated purge valve on top of it. You have three large rigid hoses and one small vacuum advance type, control hose.
This control hose is connected to a thermal vacuum switch fitted into the thermostat, it fits into a tee piece which then proceeds on to the vacuum advance unit. The other side of the switch is connected to manifold vacuum. This system ensures that there is no vacuum advance or canister purge until the engine is up to temperature.
Under the vacuum unit on the canister is the purge hose. This connects to a tee piece between the carb emmisions inlet and a y peice which connects the two breather canisters together.
The other two large hoses are the canister inlets. One connects to the carb fuel overflow/vent and the other to a fuel return pipe which emerges from beneath the car around the radiator neck somewhere. This then runs to the fuel tank vent union.
The bottom of the canister has a very large breather hose which vents to atmosphere.

Ok, that's all a bit confusing so here's a quick sketch.

Well, that's how it should be fitted. If you don't have any of that stuff then you just need to vent the hose to atmosphere below the car as said above.

Thanks to ed4ran for hacking the wing off his car just to demonstrate the canister. :dontgetit:

#13 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:11 AM

wow, thats one damn good explaination!

Now on the drawing you've got the breather hoses going to the little cannister-type things on the clutch housing and timing chain cover. How do i change these to the breather filters?

Thanks for that and all the help i've got!

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:51 PM

You don't. Positive crankcase ventilation is a good thing on road cars. Without it you are more likely to get oil leaks all over the engine, loose oil faster and get more sludge building up inside the engine. As long as you keep the hoses clean and empty out the cannisters every 80,000 miles or so then the system will work in your favour. Race engines work slightly better without the system but that's mainly because they are after every last horsepower and don't mind a few small leaks and get their motor rebuilt every couple of races too so they can clean it out better and change the leaky gaskets than have blown due to increased crankcase pressure.

Having said that, many people do want to get rid of the system so here's a little rundown. Remove the hose which connects from one cannister to the Y piece, and the sort but to the other cannister. Remove the Tee piece from the end of the short hose connected to the carb emmisions inlet and then you need to connect the hose from the charcoal cannister to this hose so that it will still feed into the carb when the purge opens. Now fit breathers to the two cannisters, you may need to use short lengths of emmisions hose to the filters and use these to slip onto the cannister outlets depending on which make of filter you use.
Now get ready to buy more oil and clean oil vapour off the inside of you bonnet every couple of weeks. :dontgetit:

Edited by Dan, 25 August 2005 - 05:52 PM.

#15 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

so i guess you advise against putting the breather filters on?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users