4 replies to this topic

#1 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:26 PM

Have currently got my 998 engine out of my car and am wondering which bits are worth replacing while it is out and easy to work on (It has only done 55k miles). I am going to fit an unleaded head and probably a few performance mods like a better cam etc. It has a verto clutch assy so i am interested whether the flywheels on these engines can be lightened and whether this is worth doing?? Is there any other machining i should have done while the engine is out?? Also is have the bottom end balanced worth it? Thanks for any help!

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:11 PM

Idealy you want to get a pre verto flywheel on it, they are lighter than the later verto type, but as far as gettin a flywheel lightened, I personaly wouldnt bother. Its a lot of money for no extra power, jus swap to the earlier type.

If your going to fit a new cam you will need to fit new cam followers and oil pump too (I have a Kent 276 for sale if ur interested).

While you've got the engine stripped down then its worth replacing the big end and main bearings and the thrusts too on the crank.

Have a look and see what your rings are like too, as a rule I replace all that stuff while the engines appart because it makes sense to do it then, than have to take the engine back out after a couple of thousand miles to do it then. If you change the rings then a hone would be a good idea too, this will get rid of all the glaze on the bores and bring it all up fresh.

Engine building can be a costly business, but i would defo replace the bearings and thrusts tho if nothing else.

#3 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info. Don't know much exactly about cams but would that one suit what i'm after - a road car with good acceleration?? How much you after for it and would you post it?? Is it just a straight swap from a verto flywheel to the old type? Should i fit a new clutch while i'm at it? Thanks..

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 14 March 2004 - 07:26 PM

New clutch would be a good idea, its not quite a straight swap tho, you need the right starter for the flywheel too and also a solonoid (£10 from Lucas) which will need some simple wiring up.

The cam would be ideal for your engine, divable yet powerful were needed, and for the bargain price of £25 and around £6 post. :)

#5 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 07:45 PM

Once again thanks for the info but will leave it for now since have just spent all my cash opening a boc account!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users