90 replies to this topic

#31 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

Maybe you didn't have a big enough box for your sub to get the bass you wanted.

I sacraficed looks for my sub box and it enables my 10" pioneer to kick out plenty of bass.

#32 dannyg2325

dannyg2325

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

Yeah dom i kinda dont, not for the type r sub anyway, i was running the absolute min airspace, still preformed really really, but i just like ridiculous bass!! lol

#33 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

any more pictures?

#34 dannyg2325

dannyg2325

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

nothing yet adam, still putting the engine in at the mo!! lol
but want to get cracking ASAP!! so more pic coming soon!!

#35 joakwin

joakwin

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

ive done tons of installs useing type r subs, mainly the 12's
and those subs don't do well in a sealed box,
they come to life in a ported box around 2-2.25cu ft^3 ea sub after port and sub

i did a chevy s-10 ext cab truck with 2 type r 12's ported in a 4.5 cu ft^3 box after port and sub
with about 50-60 sq inch slot port
with 2000watts rms and the truck was doing 155db's on the audio control mic on the dash

in my mini im going with a tc sounds tc-9 15in sub custom built with 1500watts,
cutting a hole on the back wall behind the seat
and porting the box thur the back deck lid
sub forward, port up
no rear speakers and some door pods that i havn't started to build yet
my system will be done later this summer

#36 dannyg2325

dannyg2325

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

make sure u start a theard on it!! would be good to see!

and yes totally agree about the R's. i do alot of custom install work myself being an authruised alpine dealer, but i just dont the ported or vented sound, too loose for my ears!! lol

#37 joakwin

joakwin

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

how a box sounds has to do with the port area
but a good rule of thumb is 10sq of port per every 1cube of air space for SQ
and 15sq of port per every cube for spl

i like to keep my boxes i build about 12-13 range
and tune pretty low, around 33-35hz

Edited by joakwin, 17 April 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#38 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Done any more to it?

#39 dangregory007

dangregory007

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

Looking forward to seeing the install, if its as good as the kit going in it should be top notch!I'm planning a full Alpine install myself at the mo, but all Type R stuff.

What kinda alternator are you using? I'll be running about 1300WRMS between my 2 amps, and the biggest alternator I've seen specifically for minis is 70amps, so probably need about twice that...

#40 dannyg2325

dannyg2325

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

i was gonna say if you want a qoute for the alpine type r stuff to give me a shout and i will see what i can do. but i just noyiced ur in new zealand, so i dont no how the shipping would work out. but i suppose its worth a try. send me a pm with all the stuff you need and i will get u a price sure!

yeah biggest ive seen is a 70 also, so not sure what way this leaves me. just thinking dual battery in the mean time!
dan

#41 dangregory007

dangregory007

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

i was gonna say if you want a qoute for the alpine type r stuff to give me a shout and i will see what i can do. but i just noyiced ur in new zealand, so i dont no how the shipping would work out. but i suppose its worth a try. send me a pm with all the stuff you need and i will get u a price sure!

yeah biggest ive seen is a 70 also, so not sure what way this leaves me. just thinking dual battery in the mean time!
dan

Haha yeah shipping is a killer, I have to pretty much double the price of anything I get from Minisport by the time I've included shipping >_< . Thanks for the offer anyway, would definitely give you a shout if I was over there! I've got it all sorted though, should be picking it up next week.

Actually being an Alpine supplier, maybe you can advise me on a problem I've been tossing up for a while. I've got an MRD-M605 at the mo (660WRMS from the test card), and was really in 2 minds wether to get Type R or Type S subs (2x10" wired to give 2ohm). 660W is kinda at the limit for 2 Type S ones, but sorta mid-low range power for the Type R (which I believe are designed for 200-500W each). I've pretty much decided that Type R would be sweet and leave room to upgrade my amp if I ever want to, and the recommended sealed enclosure size is smaller too,which is always a good thing in a mini! What are your thoughts?

As for the alternator dilemma, I don't think 2 batteries are going to solve the problem? I know there are companies that make massive output alternators, just haven't seen one for a mini yet, but I spose they're all the same, just need a bracket and electrical plug modification...

#42 dannyg2325

dannyg2325

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

actually funny u mention that, i done an install last week using a 605 and 2 type r's. on a 2ohm load it actually performed really well. ideally for the type r as mentioned earlier, a ported or slot vented box is the better option. but we all know what space is like in a mini. however i found with plenty of wadding in a sealed box u can get very good results! its down to the setting up as well, if it properly tuned the 605 is more than capable. then consider a 2nd 605 as an upgrade. you shud be able to pick 1 up cheap now.!

as for shipping, i got a qoute for shipping to norway and it was only £50 GBP an that was 25kg worth of alpine!

#43 norwegianminiman

norwegianminiman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Local Club: norwegian mini cooper club

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

as for shipping, i got a qoute for shipping to norway and it was only £50 GBP an that was 25kg worth of alpine!

thats to me^^

any idea how I work out how much power I will need to get out of battery/alternator?

Edited by norwegianminiman, 24 April 2009 - 07:18 AM.

#44 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:37 PM

Any progress on your build mate?

#45 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member