66 replies to this topic

#46 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

The main problems with the old system were that not only were many sellers often annoyed at comments that were left, but half the time sellers wouldn't include basic information. Things like price, location, a few basic pictures and a decent description were often missing from adverts and it made moderating the section an absolute nightmare.

I assure you there are plans to integrate it more with the forum, so new adverts will appear in the 'New Posts' list, and perhaps even have a section on the main forum page displaying the newest, or random adverts. But, I have to wait for the new version of the forum software to come out. I'm currently busy with literally a million things, so it's just not worth my time developing plugins for this forum version when they'll be useless in a few months.

#47 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

not sure if this is just me, iv put up a wanted add, now iv noticed iv got mesages from TMF and going straight into my trash, now iv pressed not spam (not sure if its going to pick it up or not)
but also the messages dont contain user names, just an email address, i dont know who's email they are so unless they sign off on an email with there user name i dont know who to contact.

tell me if there's a way i can find out if iv missed anything by all means

#48 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

The main problems with the old system were that not only were many sellers often annoyed at comments that were left, but half the time sellers wouldn't include basic information. Things like price, location, a few basic pictures and a decent description were often missing from adverts and it made moderating the section an absolute nightmare.

I assure you there are plans to integrate it more with the forum, so new adverts will appear in the 'New Posts' list, and perhaps even have a section on the main forum page displaying the newest, or random adverts. But, I have to wait for the new version of the forum software to come out. I'm currently busy with literally a million things, so it's just not worth my time developing plugins for this forum version when they'll be useless in a few months.

Taking into account what you've said about being busy and new software etc being available soon, wouldn't it have made more sense to wait before trying to set up the new section?

I really don't like to pick faults in someone else hardwork(especially as I know nothing about forum software!!), however to me the for sale section was an important part of the forum and at the moment it just doesn't seem to be working as I'm sure it was intended.

As its a matter of months before the new additions are available surely theres going to be more people like me who will end up going back to ebay to sell stuff, TMF will then have to "re-attract" these people.

Again I hate to sound negative but I truely feel that a once valuable resource is being allowed to diminish.

Shifty

#49 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

I understand your points, but the decision to go live with the new section was taken mainly down to the amount of time staff were having to spend on moderating the section. A number of people kept complaining about certain things about the old section (mainly what I've highlighted in my last post) and so we decided we needed to act on it.

Personally I think the new system has caused a 50/50 split at worst, many people seem to like the new system, and there are a lot of things that have sold. Personally out of a dozen things I listed I managed to sell more than 3/4s of them. And we may well be attracting new people who were turned off by the old system but are thoroughly enjoying using the new system.

Also, I will be working on the new system in the coming week or two, it is just the integration with the forum that will take a while, so we will be continually improving it (or trying to).

#50 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

Ok then, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!!(especially as it pains me to give money to eBay)

Again, I'm not trying to cause trouble and I hope my comments were seen as constructive.

Shifty

#51 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

Not at all, opinions coming from members such as yourself are very important as you used the old system a lot and so I know if I can please you with the new system then I would be on the right track!

#52 kitroxin

kitroxin

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: Celtic Minis

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

ITS BLOODY RUBBISH!!!!!!! WHAT THE HELL WAS ANYONE THINKING!!!!!!!

it winds me up a treat, got to be one of the wost designed things ever.. much prefer selling things on 'Minifinity' now!

:)

#53 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

^^^^ Not exactly helpful! Suggestions as to what winds you up and what could be done to improve it might be more useful!

I do find it more time consuming to post ads and it isn't great if you have a large number of parts which you would previously have put on one thread. Also I find that you only get enquiries on the parts for maybe 3-4 days - after that it's dropped off the first page or two and people just don't look any further.

One request I would have is a 'renewal' option so that after the 15 days (or however long you choose to have your ad up) you would get the option to re-list with any edits, etc. you wish to make to the ad rather than have to re-type the ad, re-upload the images and so on.

The wanted section seems to work quite well, though I wish people would respond to offers of parts (even if it's just to say 'I've got one elsewhere', 'It's too expensive' or 'it's too far away'). I've offered quite a few parts and the poster of the ad just doesn't respond!

JR

#54 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

Can i ask for a reason to why we have changed to this new system, as all i can think of was because of spamming, but people are still able to comment on things in the classified section, so that is ruled out...

Is there no way we can go back to the old for sale system?

I used to buy loads and i mean loads off there, but i can honestly say iv only brought one thing with the new system and its been going for quite a while now.

Also if you look back through the old forsale threads tell me how many were for selling just one item? I can tell you now it will be a very small amount, before i just used to go down my workshop when i needed some cash, rummage through my mini parts and chose a load of bits to sell, but now with the new system you cant sell loads of bits at a time and anything you do sell is alot more time consuming...

Also with the old system as i think i posted up earlyer anything posted up in the forsale would show up when i refreshed the new posts thingy and you could see when something new is up.

But my main point really is with the new system you cant keep track of whats beeng put up for sale as and when it is and the fact that the amount of things going up for sale had decreased massively with the new system, yes to you it might seem more, but as with old for sale posts there was hardly ever only one thing for sale.

Sorry about the rant, but i just really dont like this new system and has lost alot of trading that has happened through the forum.

#55 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

Agree with Shifty and Tom on this one, i like what you have done with it but much prefer the old system lay out.Not cristising any of the work that has been done but i do look forward to changes.

#56 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Is there anyway we can go back to the old system?

Pretty please? >_<

#57 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

Pretty please? >_<

With a cherry on top :o :dontgetit: :closed:

#58 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

How are we doing with the updates to the classified section, any news?

#59 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

Pretty please? :P

With a cherry on top ;) :( :angry:

Please as i liked the old section better aswell as your adds did'nt disapear, also prefferd the old wanted section to.

#60 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

I dont think the mods quite understand that people dont like the new system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users