18 replies to this topic

#1 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:

You cannot send another PM until Apr 15 2009, 09:32 AM

Whats going on? Why cant i send a pm till then??

Im trying to have a conversation with a friend on here and now i cant send messages till later on?

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

It's part of the flood control we've had to implement because of the spam PMs that have been sent recently.

Unfortunately we can't stop the spamming automatically, so flood control is the only way of limiting it so so many spam PMs aren't sent out before we catch it.

#3 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

How long is the delay though?

Also couldnt you put in a rule in the flood control so that if a users post count is over a set amount it ignores the delay?

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

5 minutes. Good idea actually, I'll look into it. :shifty:

#5 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

Okies. Its not too bad.

Also another thought, if the user has below a number of posts how about stopping them from sending PM's. Means they cant create an account and start spamming straight away?

#6 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

cant send PMs either - this sucks.

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

You mean you can't send them all together, or that you just have to wait 5 minutes?

#8 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

Also another thought, if the user has below a number of posts how about stopping them from sending PM's. Means they cant create an account and start spamming straight away?

This might just encourage spammers to spam topics too though? Unless they're robot things... I dont know how these spammers work =]

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:16 PM

Possibly, but we already have that anyway. And spamming topics is 100x easier for us to deal with and sort out swiftly. I agree it isn't ideal at the moment. I think new registrations might have to be put into a new usergroup called 'newbies' that doesn't have access to PMs until they've made 1 post, at which point they get moved to members. Seems that would cause the least disruption.

#10 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

You mean you can't send them all together, or that you just have to wait 5 minutes?

after each message / reply I send, I have to wait a further 5 minutes before I can send the next. I'm running shorter and shorter in free time at the mo and this just causes me problems and people are getting stressed as to why I havnt responded. its not that I'm ignoring them, I just dont have time to wait 15 minutes to send 3 replies. :)

#11 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

Having the same problem myself, is this just a knee jerk reaction to the recent virus?

How close are we to finding a mutually agreeable solution?

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Look two posts up.

Unfortunately we can't allow malicious messages to be passed through the forum that could contain virus that could seriously screw up someone's computer. You always have the option of email every member.

#13 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

Look two posts up.

Unfortunately we can't allow malicious messages to be passed through the forum that could contain virus that could seriously screw up someone's computer. You always have the option of email every member.

too complex, especially if your using your mobile / blackberry.

#14 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

Holding a conversation about something via Pm now is quite difficult. We can use email but some people I talk to don't really use email and sometimes conversations can include pictures and it is much easier to link the photos from photobucket than having to attach them in emails.

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 15 April 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

As I say, I'll try and sort out the new usergroups, but my priority has to be the safety of people's computers. I'm sure you guys understand that.

I'll also add that TMF+ aren't subjected to PM flood control. I figured that most spammers generally won't want to pay the £10 subscription fee.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users