64 replies to this topic

#16 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm waking this thread as I have a question.

First of all - when I searched this out the look of gloom filled my face as I need to fit a new cable in.  It sounds like torture.

Unless there's another way....

An explanation.

I have a new 'drift' speedo and analogue to digital adapter for the mini.  So you replace the mini cable with this new one and it supplies a pulse signal to the speedo.  Anyhow - the old speedo cable obviously works perfectly ok so is there any possible way of joining male-2-male (as it were!).  My feeling is 'not' because the in-car bit is designed to plug onto the back of the 3-dial PCB binnacle (L-reg mini) while the adapter is a screw in type.

I have to ask the question because - from the look of the above - it sounds like torture (unless they've changed the law on child labour?)

To add to the misery there's a supercharger sitting in the place where the carb usually sits! (sounds like a weird complaint!).

I wonder if there's an interface thingy that I can push the original male into that turns it into a female......

#17 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

i have fitted the drift speedo successfully. however i did try to use the mini specific adapter to replace the speedo cable however found the prong not long enough to fit into the gearbox gears. what i did was reinstall the original speedo cable (lots of fun taking it out and putting it back in) and then had an digital adaper put on the other end of the cable

http://www.demon-twe...CFSbHtAod53EAWw

that sensor goes onto the end where the tacho would and then the sensor wire goes to the drift guage

Edited by andy159, 05 November 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#18 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

Oh wow! What's the chances of finding someone else who's done exactly what I am about to do with the exact same reasons and 'bits' as well?

It's quite possible that you may have extended my life by the time it would have taken to go through what you've already been through!

What's your sort code and bank a/c number - I feel I need to pay for advice like that - actually, probably best not splash personal details over the internet so please accept a 'virtual pint' for your efforts.

Seriously though - I wasn't expecting an 'answer-with-solution' like that - my question was a shot in the dark.

I hope you don't mind me asking - just to make absolute sure - if I get that unit you've provided a link to, I can keep the original speedo cabling in place and 'push fit' the original mini 'male' into it, just like the back of the standard speedo, and then run the 'digital end' of this new device to the speedo wire inputs?

If thats a 'yes' then I'll order one straight away (demon tweaks, if you're watching, someone is owed some commission here!).

Thank you VERY much for the advice so far.

#19 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

..also - how on earth did you manage to find a solution that was compatible with everything?  There's no clue in the product description (except the very vague 'universal') - were you forced to do a lot of research and contacting people etc because if that's the case then I'm even more indebted!

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

Acewell do a few cable adapters S2*, S4 & S12 all have M12x1, same as the Mini centre speedo.

* I've used this at the g'box end with a bush I made up to screw on with the original collar off the cable. I found the Mini cable end was ever so slightly thicker, a bit of heat shrink on the Acewell bit  made for a snug fit.

http://www.acewell.c...Drive/index.htm

#21 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Oh wow! What's the chances of finding someone else who's done exactly what I am about to do with the exact same reasons and 'bits' as well?

It's quite possible that you may have extended my life by the time it would have taken to go through what you've already been through!

What's your sort code and bank a/c number - I feel I need to pay for advice like that - actually, probably best not splash personal details over the internet so please accept a 'virtual pint' for your efforts.

Seriously though - I wasn't expecting an 'answer-with-solution' like that - my question was a shot in the dark.

I hope you don't mind me asking - just to make absolute sure - if I get that unit you've provided a link to, I can keep the original speedo cabling in place and 'push fit' the original mini 'male' into it, just like the back of the standard speedo, and then run the 'digital end' of this new device to the speedo wire inputs?

If thats a 'yes' then I'll order one straight away (demon tweaks, if you're watching, someone is owed some commission here!).

thankyou for the praise but i cannot take full credit for this as it was yeti21586 who infomred me of this part which i am also very grateful for.

i fitted the part  by screwing the end cap on to the screw end of the speedo cable as it comes with a few adaptors.

here is the original thread

http://www.theminifo...s/#entry2858248

#22 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Acewell do a few cable adapters S2*, S4 & S12 all have M12x1, same as the Mini centre speedo.

* I've used this at the g'box end with a bush I made up to screw on with the original collar off the cable. I found the Mini cable end was ever so slightly thicker, a bit of heat shrink on the Acewell bit  made for a snug fit.

http://www.acewell.c...Drive/index.htm

Thanks for an alternative  -however if i can get away with it I want to stay *well away* from the gearbox end of the story - the nightmares I've read has put my right arm on strike!  Also I don't have the mini centre speedo - I've got the later type (1996- early pre airbag) 3 binnacle set up which has female socket set on the back of the 3-dial.  It's held in with a plastic rectangle about 2" by 1.5".   If you unscrew the 2 screws on this plastic square you can withdraw the speedo through the front of the dial (and you can see the spring+magnet set-up).  The female itself is about half an inch wide with a fixed collar at the top (two of them of unequal length with a groove cut through below the shorter top part).

I think that explains it well :-)

Thanks again for the additional info.

#23 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

thankyou for the praise but i cannot take full credit for this as it was yeti21586 who infomred me of this part which i am also very grateful for.

i fitted the part  by screwing the end cap on to the screw end of the speedo cable as it comes with a few adaptors.

here is the original thread

http://www.theminifo...s/#entry2858248

Credit where credit's due though - your summary-in-a-post helped me get to the main event.

And thanks for linking to the original discussion although I see that you settled on a unit which isn't in the original discussion - so there's obviously a 'trial and error' factor which I appreciate has already been 'suffered', as it were.

Having said that - yes - many thanks to yeti21586 (if you're reading!) -your input has been invaluable to the whole conversation.

So - on what I've learned - I'll order the unit you've recommended....

http://www.demon-twe...CFSbHtAod53EAWw

....now!

My long project is coming to an end and you can always bet that something will crop up that's not usually a quick'n'easy fix!  This may help in a great way - and protect my arms and sanity.

Ok... credit card at the ready.....

:-)

#24 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

yep the terratrip universal speed cable drive probe or speedometer probe is the one you want. the suppliers have different pics of it with the attachments on and off. what does the end of your speedo cable look like at the speedo end

#25 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

If it only needs a pulse sense from a hall sensor, then why not use one from a cheapo bike computer and stick it in the rear wheel hub.

#26 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

yep the terratrip universal speed cable drive probe or speedometer probe is the one you want. the suppliers have different pics of it with the attachments on and off. what does the end of your speedo cable look like at the speedo end

From memory (as I am ready for a good night's sleep!) - length of black hard cable ending with a make surrounded by (I think...) a mixture of metal an white plastic.  It's essentially a 'push fit' design.  I'll try to remember to take a photo tomorrow when I'm back in it, constantly 'finishing' the project.  I'm fairly sure the whole neighbourhood thinks I'm mad.

After this there's only 4 'gotcha opportunities' left...

The wiring of the reverse cam (should be simple)

Getting the new alternator in (and hope it solves the fault from the old one)

and --- most difficult of all ----

Fitting a DVD player minus laser to be a posh cupholder (to be held where the switches used to be - It's an incredibly tight fit - which might be a good thing.

#27 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

If it only needs a pulse sense from a hall sensor, then why not use one from a cheapo bike computer and stick it in the rear wheel hub.

Indeed - this was in the 'if all else fails' safety net  - sort of.

Thanks tho

#28 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Amazingly I got the the part through today.

Amazingly I managed to ask for - and buy - two.

[Idiot]

Any hints and tips will be welcome (on the unit, not a suddenly ability to mess up online ordering)   :-)

I've only had a quick look but it looks a decent little unit.  Not sure why there's three cables coming out of it but I'll sure I'll discover that when I start working on it.  Tonight!

Cheers again - you might have saved my marriage (I had previously informed the wife that she could do with some vaseline for her arm in order to satisfy a requirement of mine.  Insert your own gag, as it were....)

#29 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

excuse me for being a bit dim - but -  the cable colours on the drift gauge are the same as this little gadget - so can the dial pick up the new device using the same colours?

Cheers

Steve

#30 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

black for earth red for live and white to the sensor isn't it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users