#61 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

never had issues with my spade hands preferred the metro/front rad versions though.

on you back on the floor it was tight but doable.

#62 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

I changed mine a few months ago with a hot engine. Flexibility is key 😎
Long screwdriver to tap it around and loosen it, then just burn your arm to get a new one in place.

Edited by Dusky, 31 May 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#63 ksj

ksj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:30 PM

I'm puting my dash together after fitting a new wiring harness. The nut that holds the speedo cable to the speedo has slipped down the cable to rest against the other end. I just spent three hours trying to hook it and pull it back up, to no avail. Looking back, I should have put a cable tie around the cable near the top to prevent this from happening. Any advice on retrieving the nut, short of pulling the radiator, would be welcomed.

Joe

1979 Mini

#64 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:37 PM

Try a length of welding wire poked between the inner edge of the nut and the shearing of the speedo cable, you'd probably be best to feed the welding wire down the back of the engine from the top, then feed it through the nut, finally you'd bend the welding wire to make a hooked or rolled end.(If you can get your hands in there)

Then you might need an assistant to gently pull the wire along the cable to the inlet manifold

If welding wire doesn't work, try an old wire coat hanger or similar

#65 ksj

ksj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

I managed to get it out. I made a loop in a piece of baling wire, and ran it down over the cable. When it was past the nut, I twisted the wire from the bottom to tighten it below the nut. Of course, the wheel was off. Since I could not reach the wire with my hands,I had to improvise. I sharpened the end of a stick of wood about a foot long, and then cut a notch in the end. I was able to catch the wire in the notch and, when I twisted the wood, the wire tightened. Wish I had thought of that three hours earlier.

Hopefully someone else can benefit from this experience.

For the record, when you put a new cable on, put a cable tie behind the nut so as to keep it from slipping away.

Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users