#46 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

Its getting there ;D . What are you going to do about mounting the engine? Are you going to make a bit of a mini and cossie subframe combo?

#47 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Exactly that! I've kept the old mini subframe and will see how easy it will be to factor in the cossie engine cradle. The problem with the mini one is that it has the brace across the back which will need to be cut out!
Although I'm thinking of making extra braces from the roll cage, going forward to help support things! That's the plan anyhow!

#48 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Sounds good, can't wait to see more progress ;D .

#49 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

Been tinkering abit more with the loom and im now happy with what it has, although it will still need reworked when it gets transplanted into the mini. I mean you dont need 4-5 fuses for the headlights do you! That will get corrected when transplanted along with shortening of all the wires! Im on a mission to remove anything that isnt essential!

I have got rid of the complete ABS - the plan is to go back to basics with the brakes! Ive saved so much weight due to getting rid of the ABS ECU and all the wires and sensors associated with it! Here it is laid out on the grass...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some people would say to keep it, but im going to be using 'LMCK' (the mini, pronounced lee-muck-uk) on the track and drag strip and there isnt really any call for it. The amount gained outweights the need for it!

Other things that have been taken out are the electric windows, central locking (which took up a sainsburys bag by itself!), electric mirrors, heated front windscreen (which had tonnes of wiring for!), heated rear screen, interior lights, door sensors, electrics for the heater, cig lighter, clock, electrical control box, bulb fault control unit (a box which tells you which bulb has broken!) front fog lights, rear washers, intermittent wipers, dash light dimmer. i must be missing things but you get the point!

While doing this I found out that the scuttle of the cosworth was held in place with cable ties and rubber matting! Once removed the scuttle practically fell out in my hands due to rust! I thought rust was just found on minis! but appartently other cars suffer aswell! :-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Abit more thinning...

Posted Image

All of the wires with red tape were removed......

Posted Image

the fuse box before ....

Posted Image

the fuse box after........

Posted Image

As you can see, theres abit of a difference, and once the loom is transplanted I will get a new fuseboard and keep it 'simple' with minimal wiring required. Im planning to have one loom for the engine, and one for the lights with bulk head connectors. However thats ages away yet, but I'm still thinking about it.

So the dreaded few days of work climaxed to see if with all the wiring removed it would start again...... I will let the videos do the talking.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

So now the wiring is practically sorted its time to remove it and get on with the grinding and the mechanical side of things! I mean surely it must all fit in.... where did I put the measuring tape!!!!????

However I wont be transferring the Power Steering, its too heavy/bulky and saps BHP from the engine. Anyway the original mini didnt come with it so why should I bother with it! Happy to hear peopels views on it though.

#50 v8cos

v8cos

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

No real progress made just more thinning of the loom. Once it's sorted, I will show you the bags of wires!

V8cos: I don't suppose you have any information about them? Pictures, blogs, or websites even, I know it's a long shot, but it would be interesting to see how they shoe horned it in and what components they retained from the mini!

I don't want to say too much about them, i'll leave that to the owners, but one has been about for a while, some of you might even know about it already, and its fitted with a 24v Cossie, though now its been fitted with 2 Turbo's. The others are still being built and both are running Cossie 2ltrs, one with a genuine RS500 lump! Both are RWD, ones auto the other manual!!. The 24v one should be out at MITP, and the other 2, fingers crossed, should be at the 2010 Mini Showdown, racing along side a mate of theirs in his little green mini.

#51 mini mayhem

mini mayhem

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Of Ireland

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

madness.. haha would be a mental thing on the roads!!! good luck. there willl be real tough times but seeing it finished will be worth it!!

#52 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

Looking good mate, I think there was a mini with a cossie engine in it in this months mini world, in the power run bit.

#53 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

Now that is the buisness

#54 clubmanreece

clubmanreece

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:23 AM

hmmmm little green mini sounds like the [;eb that fort hed beat my dads car

#55 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

cant belive your going to chop up the cossie :)

#56 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

So am I best not posting the pictures up of the cossy in pieces then? Unfortunately though the time will come and hopefully what will be produced will be better than the original cossie!

#57 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:21 AM

Great work on the loom :w00t: keep up the good work!

#58 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Done abit more work on the Cossie:

Removed all the wiring
Drained all the fluids
Removed the bumper, radiator, intercooler and anything that practically connects the block/gearbox to the car!

Next job is to just undo the engine cradle mounts and gearbox mounts and drop the whole unit complete. Then all I have to do is move it across the driveway and offer it up to the mini. Simple!

Hopefully at the weekend i will get to that stage and dig the angle grinder out!

Posted Image

#59 dsgoody

dsgoody

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Local Club: Gert Lush Minis

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Wow, what a fantastic project, although it seems a shame for another Cosworth meet the same fate as many others. You've really got your work cut out. The old man used to own a late DOHC Sierra XR4x4 and that was a fantastic car, albeit a little underpowered. If you ever need any help solving problems get yourself over to the FSOC forum, here. They have managed to solve problems for us numerous times before.

Dave.

#60 GOODY2BE

GOODY2BE

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

saw this at m,i,t,p
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic