The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

LOL :blink: I could do, but then I'd rather keep em for meself! I was reading a thread before about gas struts for the bonnet and I think there's one at work that needs 'measuring' tomorrow!!! :wub:

#18 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:52 PM

Ok all! Quick question for us over stateside... What is the definition of Chav? Myself and a few buddies tried looking it up in a few places- Im guessing it would be our equilivent of "wigger"? Sorry to go off topic :rolleyes:

#19 MINI7

MINI7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:44 PM

yeah sort of but it aint as bling, Its all trackie bottoms and burbery caps. chavs are a new breed seperate from the wigger but related in some twisted incest triangle. check out chavskum website:)

#20 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:50 PM

:cry: :rolleyes: ok I got it! ITs like the punks you see at the bar wearing the 400$ Hollister pink tee-shirt with the hat cocked off slightly to the side. Kind of folk that mommy and daddy just bought the new H2 to go to highschool and back!!! I HATE those F*&kers :cry:

#21 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:22 PM

That master switch you've got won't last long. They are a race part designed for disconnecting the power in an emergency not for use daily as a switch. They don't have a very big duty cycle. I'm not talking about the key wearing out either, the actual switch will fall apart. Many racers need to replace these during each season so in a road car you'd be lucky if it lasted a few weeks.

If it's only isolating the starter switch from the starter solenoid it doesn't need to be high current rated, 10 amps will be plenty so use a toggle switch hidden somewhere, or just fit an alarm with immobiliser as that's what immobilisers do anyway.

I don't know what you are planning to do with the ignition barrel (and you might know this anyway) but I will just say that the steering lock is kind of a legal requirement for your vehicle.

#22 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:28 PM

I have a switch like that set up on my main battery cable, so then it needs to be that big. And mine has lasted months and is fine, so quite confused why does the switch fall apart?!

#23 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:50 PM

I have a kill switch on mine that will literally kill everthing electrical in the car when switch off!

I also have a starter switch/button arrangement. I've left the ignition key as normal but the last sprung stage no longer does anything as I've substituted that with the button.

So now to start my car is a cunning mix of kill switch keys remotes hidden switches and hidden immobilisers....... It's not going anywhere in a hurry :fear: :grin:

#24 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

....... It's not going anywhere in a hurry :fear: :grin: with big fat me in it

:rolleyes:

#25 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

Damn you Bungle!!!!! :tongue:

<Eric Cartman Voice>

I'm not fat I'm big boned!!!!

Screw you guys I'm going home!!!

:tongue:

#26 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

ive got push start is allways a crowd pleaser!! its in this lot !

Attached Files

#27 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:16 AM

Those switches are 16.99 each arent they?
are they actually made to a good standard, some look a little "fragile" when ive seen them.
:rolleyes:

#28 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:04 AM

That master switch you've got won't last long. They are a race part designed for disconnecting the power in an emergency not for use daily as a switch. They don't have a very big duty cycle. I'm not talking about the key wearing out either, the actual switch will fall apart. Many racers need to replace these during each season so in a road car you'd be lucky if it lasted a few weeks.

If it's only isolating the starter switch from the starter solenoid it doesn't need to be high current rated, 10 amps will be plenty so use a toggle switch hidden somewhere, or just fit an alarm with immobiliser as that's what immobilisers do anyway.

I don't know what you are planning to do with the ignition barrel (and you might know this anyway) but I will just say that the steering lock is kind of a legal requirement for your vehicle.

All taken on board Dan, I was going to still use the ignition barrell for the steering lock, so I guess I may as well use that as the 'kill switch' and just get a toggle switch somewhere.

The master switch was a freebie anyway! :lol:

One thing I would say though, is that we do use these switches at work for a lot of applications and I've never had any reports of a failure. I would be interested to do some further testing on this, as I spec them sometimes for airship control panels etc as a master switch, maybe I need something a bit more reliable for that application. Then again, in that particular application, they are not a 'daily use' switch.

#29 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Local Club: Sasmog.co.uk

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

ive had my master cut off switch and i use it all the time and ive neaver had to change it aprt from puting on other cars and that been 3 years now :cheese:

#30 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:17 AM

Do you have a good alarm or security system?

People will soon find out that you have a starter switch and can find a way to break in to your mini, do some adjusting of wires press the button and drive off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users