• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#16 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Finally a little more progress - this project is certainly slower paced compared to the last one - however i'm in no major rush to get this particular project finished so i can take my time and enjoy it more :(

Last night A very good friend of mine dropped off some parts i'd agreed to 'relieve' him of:

1x RC40 1"7/8 Twin box system. In as new condition. Really looking forward to fitting this, should be nice and quiet but with a nice rumble.
Posted Image

And a 'Minits' Water heated Inlet for my Hs4 carb, in great condition:
Posted Image

Went down to a local engineering firm today that do a lot of Minis engines etc and they've agreed to do the David Vizard modifactions on the Carburettor for me, which will involve:

* Knife edging the throttle disc.
* Butterfly shaft shaved, counter sunk and profiled to an aerofoil between the screw heads.
* Leading edges of the Piston chamfered to the carb bore.

With this work done on the carb I can expect to see around a 20+% increase in the flow capability of the carb

Next things on the plate are getting hold of a battery to check the leccies over, and buying some CV boots and front brake pads. The MOT will be done on the 12" set-up before i plonk the Cooper S set-up on at a later date.

#17 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

So what happened to your last project? Was it the auto orangey one? did i miss a thread?

#18 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

That thread is now deleted - had to get rid of that car in the end but the project was finished :D

Just went out to test fit the Inlet and clean it up - all good. =]

#19 Sleeping Park Lane

Sleeping Park Lane

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Now that's a sweet & fast resto - love the interior, minimum but sufficient instrumentation and a nice clean dash - nice one! :D

What are you going to do for an exhaust manifold? I've got an RC40 that I would like to put on my Park Lane - I'm thinking of getting a Maniflow LCB to fit with it.

Sorry to be a vulture, but what are you going to do with the original grille? A previous owner of my Park Lane bolted spotlights through the grille & flattened the flutes, it also looks like it's been hit in the nose! =]

Steve

#20 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Now that's a sweet & fast resto - love the interior, minimum but sufficient instrumentation and a nice clean dash - nice one!

Thanks! The dash is perfect for me and I was so suprised at the amount of 'roominess' it gives in the front compared to a normal dash. Hopefully the sound deadening will do its job too.

What are you going to do for an exhaust manifold?

I intend to get my hands on a Maniflow Cooper Freeflow manifold - much better suited to the small bore engines than the LCB and is much easier to fit - and no messing about with Y-pieces that never seal up.

Sorry to be a vulture, but what are you going to do with the original grille?

Are you're interested in it? i have a couple of black ones lying about at the moment in good nick and a chrome one to go on this car.......

#21 1275GTS

1275GTS

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Local Club: bmc

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

I intend to get my hands on a Maniflow Cooper Freeflow manifold - much better suited to the small bore engines than the LCB and is much easier to fit - and no messing about with Y-pieces that never seal up.

Are you desparate for one as I might be able to sort one out for you.

#22 Sleeping Park Lane

Sleeping Park Lane

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

Ah - thanks for the pointer on the manifold; at least I got the manufacturer's name right! LOL Will be keeping the 998 in so looks like I should go for the same as you.

I will need a replacement grille for my PL - the old one's so battered & rusty that you can't really tell what colour it was. I think it was black to match the car's colour? If you're thinking of getting rid of one, let me know.

Steve

#23 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

Yay retro got a new mini! Looks nice mate can't wait to see the "finished" product.

#24 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

Yay retro got a new mini! Looks nice mate can't wait to see the "finished" product.

I intend this one to be on the road before the finished product reveals itself, but yes - i look forward to the finished car too! :D rather muchly indeed! =]

1275GTS + SleepingParklane - Pm's sent.

#25 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

Mike :D,
I'm very interested in the carb modifications you're going to do >_<. Is this from the big yellow Visard bible?
Tell me how you get on :thumbsup:

Jono.

#26 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

The SU Carburettor modifications i'm having done are detailed by David Vizard in 'Tuning the Aseries engine' on page 117 through to page 120. Results look rather promising. I will post pictures up of the work.

Brief update - yesterday i was talking about getting a Cooper freeflow manifold - Well I've secured one now which will arrive in a few weeks. It's only done a couple of hundred miles so will be in rather good nick to compliment the rest of the system! Good times.

#27 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

Is this the kind of manifold you want?

Posted Image

No y piece, ie doesn't need one

I may know someone who has one!!!!

Very cheep!!

Edited by shiftyseamus, 22 May 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#28 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

Already sourced thanks shifty, again - very cheap!!

why put a picture of some old drift wood up? :- >_<

#29 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

I've just had the very same RC40 fitted to mine, granted mine is a 1275 now, and it's absolutley brilliant, very quiet but stil with a nice rumble at idle, don't know why i didn't go for one earlier!

#30 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

Great ;) thanks for confirming that Mark - I can't wait to fit the exhaust up to the engine - I like my cars quiet but with a little rumble - and the RC40 gives me the quietness and the best performance - nothing better in my opinion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users