Looks awesome on those!

#108 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

Latest update - it's now running Megajolt...

sNZpux2.jpg

Kit was from TriggerWheels; I already had an EDIS and coil pack but bought a second one of each to keep as spares.

The setup is run from a new feed from the starter via an ignition switched relay. The only real challenge with this was working out why the engine wouldn't switch off, turned out the alternator exciter wire was feeding just enough voltage back to keep the new relay powered. Fix was to fit a diode to in series with the dash tell-tale. 

Running the SPI map, all works well.

#109 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:37 PM

And the changes never stop. Lockdown has given me a chance to finally get on with the 998cc turbo engine build. Picked up the manifold and downpipe on Friday....

jJQgliP.jpg

#110 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

Latest update - it's now running Megajolt...

sNZpux2.jpg

Kit was from TriggerWheels; I already had an EDIS and coil pack but bought a second one of each to keep as spares.

The setup is run from a new feed from the starter via an ignition switched relay. The only real challenge with this was working out why the engine wouldn't switch off, turned out the alternator exciter wire was feeding just enough voltage back to keep the new relay powered. Fix was to fit a diode to in series with the dash tell-tale.

Running the SPI map, all works well.

Did you add the diode on the white ignition switch side or the brown/yellow alternator exciter side?

#111 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:01 PM

Did you add the diode on the white ignition switch side or the brown/yellow alternator exciter side?

It would have been on the exciter wire. Test of memory!

#112 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:57 PM

8 months later and the turbo 998 engine is in and running! I don't think I can post videos easily here, so have a picture of it (actually a frame from the video of it running)....

iWejwQ9.png

#113 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:55 AM

That looks very nice - are you sticking with it?

#114 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:01 AM

That looks very nice - are you sticking with it?

What do you mean, with the 998 turbo? Yes, assuming it doesn't grenade on it's first test drive! I have another 998 waiting to be picked up as well which I'll rebuild properly and for more power. As for the 1275 - I'm not sure yet. Part of me wants to cash it in with the money they're making at the moment but I'll probably mothball it for a while before rebuilding in future (it was getting a bit tired).

#115 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:46 PM

Can't embed the video but can link to it (imgur)....first test run and it makes all the right noises....

ChooChoo...pssst!

#116 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:32 PM

All done, ready for the MOT....

MkG8ZvU.jpg

#117 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:12 PM

looks awesome Icey

#118 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:51 PM

NIIIIICE! 😎
BUT, I'd put the headlights on beforehand... 🤔

#119 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:22 PM

Bit of an update, not all good.

The turbo motor did ~3hrs of running before developing a really bad smoking habit. A few attempts to fix it were unsuccessful, the last was pulling the head to check the bores....which showed that what were heathly bores with good cross-hatching had become polished. I believe this is totally my fault - rich fueling, poor running-in, wrong oil etc.. are the expected culprits.

To get through the last few events of the year I put the 1275 back in, I'd made a point of making all changes reversable so it was only a days work to un-turbo the car.

Skip forward a couple of months, the 998 is stripped and is currently with AC Dodd getting a re-bore to +0.020" (just waiting for the pistons to get to him to finsh the job).

Iz0z36p.jpg

#120 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 11:06 PM

Creeping up a year since the last update.

AC machined the block, I redid the gearbox (because I buggered it up first time) then bolted it all back together again.

Did the first 100 miles NA so I could be sure of predictable fuelling. No issues at all, perfect to the point of no leaks, no leaks at all!

Strapped the turbo back on, went through an MOT and then the problems started again. Back to being the ground accompaniment to the red arrows.

Checking the plugs showed no issues so concluded that it must be the turbo core and…

cVAuunG.jpg

…it was. Even though it was a ‘remanufactured’ core it was letting bucket loads of oil into the turbine.

New core fitted and we’re good to go. Just making some final fuelling tweaks this weekend and we’re set for the rest of the season.

Here’s a front end shot, just because.

2VzscWr.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users