11 replies to this topic

#1 phil hill

phil hill

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:39 AM

We're flooding in from Pistonheads right now !! I'm another one !!

I've been messing with mini's for a while, not as long as Cooperman.......... but a good 15 years now anyway. Current car is a 1990 Rover Cooper which had a John Cooper carb type "S" pack, then an MED 1380 bottom end, 4 pot brakes and 13" minilites when I bought the car with a view to enjoying it as it was...........

That was 6 years ago, current spec now boasts a Jack Knight straight cut 5 speed, 3.6 cross-pinned diff, lightened mini-type clutch and flywheel, equal length driveshaft kit, Webber Alpha bronze mapped ignition, the usual suspension upgrades including a rear anti-roll bar, decent cylinder head, twin 1.5" SU's, 276 cam with 1.5 roller rockers, LCB and RC40.

Future plans ?? Well I'd like to start again with a strong caged shell, transplant the "good bits" from the old car and develop a bit further. I'd like to try a bigger cam (286, SW10??), maybe twin HIF 38's/44's, or possibly injection. I'd like to do some more trackdays, and maybe do some hills and sprints with it. (Took my ARDS course two years ago, but didn't fill in the forms for MSA, doh !!)

Phil.

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:42 AM

Hey Phil welcome to the site, certainly sounds like you have an interesting mini, there are floods of ya coming in from pistonheads right now, its a top clas website

Hope you enjoy using our site and you can exchange information with other users feel free to ask any questions.

Nick

#3 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:54 AM

hi welcome to the site that sounds cool

#4 Neil8p

Neil8p

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:03 PM

Hi Phil

Coming to cadwell on saturday?

Cheers

Neil

#5 phil hill

phil hill

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:55 PM

Thinking about it !! Need to check my rear tyre tread depth......... Or borrow some "get you home again" wheels and tyres........... :)

#6 The_Mini_Bug

The_Mini_Bug

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:49 PM

Hi ya Phil welcome to the site :)

#7 Freda

Freda

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 07:52 PM

hi Phil :grin:

#8 Neil8p

Neil8p

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 11:06 AM

Hey Phil, just seen the Javelin website - great stuff, see you Saturday then :grin:

I see there's another couple of mini's booked as well :cool:

#9 phil hill

phil hill

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 03:01 PM

I thought I'd give it a go Neil. Will be bringing a mate with me to share the driving, which could be fun !! Also need to sort out those "get you home legally" tyres, just in case !! I normally run in the intemediate group with Javelin, but as my mate has never driven Cadwell before, and looking at the other cars in Inter I thought I'd play safe and go for novice group. Any chance of a ride out in yours then ??

#10 Neil8p

Neil8p

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:19 PM

Absolutely mate, although I'm hardly the best driver.

I always go for the novice section, so my excuses are made before I start :)

#11 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 16 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

Welcome to the site Phil, jus a quick question... Am I missing something here, or did you say you have a mapped ignition, but your running carbs, are they injected carbs/bodies?

#12 phil hill

phil hill

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:46 AM

Blue(red)mini

Yep you got it right, mapped ignition with twin SU's. The system is the Webber Alpha Bronze, which is usually offered with single or twin DCOE's to replace OEM injection and ignition on XE's, Ecotec's or Zetec's when installing in a kit car. The Bronze is not onward upgradable to injection, you need a Alpha Silver to do that. It's similar to the set-up most Mig's and Se7en's use, except mine has a throttle position sensor as well as crank position.

Edited to add : http://www.mberaceen...uk/ecu/mini.htm

'nuff said !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users